The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6mo German shep. w papers

Correction... he is a Belgian Shep.

He is 6months old and been kept in a garage for a few months. He is extreamly smart!! Already knows the sit command. He is a tad on the excited side but I think with a small amount of work he will be perfect. I would take him but I have a dog. He is a awesome puppy! I have to go to virginia next week from Ocala fl area so I could give a ride His name is Austin. Has shots also

He is all tan but has a black mask and seems to have shorter hair than some Belgian sheps. I dont know his lines yet I will have his paper on Monday. Original owners don't want a puppy any more
    Last edited by Nootka; Feb. 15, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Belgians are wonderful dogs! You have a PM.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

If he has shorter hair than "most Belgian Shepherds," chances are he's a Belgian Shepherd-Malinois (as opposed to Belgian Shepherd-Groenendael, Belgian Shepherd-Laekenois, or Belgian Shepherd-Tervuren). They are high energy dogs that need a "job" to do. Have you considered contacting local Search and Rescue groups?

Some links to SAR groups:

K-9 Search and Rescue of South Florida, Inc.

Search and Rescue of Central Florida

Sarasota K-9 Search and Rescue, Inc.
    Last edited by HydroPHILE; Feb. 17, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

I pmed you. thanks,rt

If this is a Belgian Malinois or Tervuren, they are a very different breed from a German Shepherd.

When you get the dog's registration papers, the first thing you should do is contact the breeder. A reputable breeder will want to know that the dog is in need of a home, and many will take the dog back to rehome, but they should at the least, assist in placing this dog if needed.

I'm down near Sarasota, FL. Let me know if you have issues placing him. I already have 2 high drive GSDs. Don't really need a third, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by movo View Post
    I'm down near Sarasota, FL. Let me know if you have issues placing him. I already have 2 high drive GSDs. Don't really need a third, but.....
    Dog is a Belgian Shepherd - not German

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    Dog is a Belgian Shepherd - not German
    Not much difference when it comes to personality and high drive. I am not showing, just on the farm.

Actually, there *is* a difference (generally speaking) between the two breeds even among the high-drive working lines. A number of law enforcement agencies switched to Mals because of their better health and longer working lives only to switch back to GSDs because the handlers could not make the switch to the more sensitive Belgians.

In any case, *please* contact Belgian Malinois Rescue. The Florida contacts are Flynnkramer@aol.com and malnwa@comcast.net. Put "ABMC Rescue FL Coordinator" in the subject line of the email.

Citydog is absolutely right; there is quite a bit of difference in general personality types. The Belgians are much more sensitive and can tend to be high-strung ... this is a generalization, of course, and there is the whole gamut of softer and sharper temperaments among individual dogs. But I found my Belgians to require a different approach than my GSDs or labs.

(They're wonderful dogs; I still miss our two Tervs terribly.)

OP, I responded to your PM fback to me and am hoping to hear from you!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I'm assuming it's a Belgian Malinois then? I never heard back from the OP as to what kind of Belgian Shepherd it is.

As for the person saying "not much difference" between GSD and Bel Mals....phew. Voting in on what citydog said. I have ownership experience with GSDs and Dutch Shepherds, and I have training and working experience with Belgian Mals. They are, by far, quite different.

Sorry, I haven't owned a Malinois, so I was't aware how different they were. I grew up in Europe and they didn't seem so different to me at that time. I guess I was wrong. However, I would have no problem with a sensitive dog since I own shelties as well as 2 GSDs. Can't get a whole lot more sensitive than a sheltie. LOL!

http://www.dropshots.com/movo#albums...01-21/16:14:22

http://www.dropshots.com/movo#albums...11-30/14:53:12

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...=DahliLoki.jpg

However, as I said, I would only take the dog if it's the best, workable, situation. I wasn't really looking for another dog, just wanted to help.

Thank you

I sent a PM
    We've had dutch shep, belg. mali, german shep, giant schnauzers, dobbies and rotties. All were bred for working dogs and most were imported. There is a big difference between german shep and belg mali. Mali's get frustrated very easily. Last time I watched training. One of the Mali's got upset that it couldn't get to the man in a tree that he finally just attacked the trunk. Most Mali handlers get bit on the hands on a regular basis when their dogs get frustrated. On the other hand they are a blast to play with as they have incredibly high drive.

The young man made his 6hr trip to his new owner today

Thank you all in your interest.... he has found a good home thnx to COTH
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Puppy is home; he had a good night. Today's lesson will be titled "The Horses Live Here; You Do Not Need to Bark and Scare Them Away." My pinto mare was dreadfully offended that he didn't want to be friends right away. Silly old gal loves dogs.

Otherwise, a very, very good boy. Thanks, Nootka!
    Equinox Equine Massage

-Albert Camus

just curious, is he a Mali? Pics too

Quote Originally Posted by mommy peanut View Post
    just curious, is he a Mali? Pics too
    No papers, but he sure as heck looks the part. I put up some pix on my facebook page:

Playing fetch with a pine cone: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&id=755284393

Up close with his pine cone: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=755284393

(Yes, silly dog loves the giant pine cones we have around here!)
    Equinox Equine Massage

-Albert Camus

He looks much closer to GSD plus a couple of something elses (and the something else definitely has SHORT coat) than Malinois. He definitely has a GSD head, not a Malinois face at all.

This is what a purebred Malinois looks like: http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_malinois/

http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_malinois/photos.cfm

http://www.malinoisclub.com/

Very different type. But your pup's very handsome anyway.

Thanks for the comments, Laytian, but having kept both Belgian Malinois and Tervuren, as well as GSDs, at various ages, I see this guy as classic Mali, head included. I fostered two some years ago from very high-drive French working lines and he looks remarkably similar to the little bitch in that pair. A couple of the working lines tend to be "coarser" in the head, more like a GSD, though still overall lighter and more refined once mature. The hip is decidedly more Belgian than German, as well, and he has the very distinctive Belgian shoulder girdle, as well as the coat texture (which admittedly may or may not be all that unique; I've not felt that particular combination of thickness, length and texture in any other dog breed, but I've certainly not had my hands on every type of dog out there!)

Not that it matters, he's a type Mr. CH and I are familiar and comfy with, and will make a great farm dog. Not into breeding or showing, so papers are of no consequence. If they turn up, cool; it'd be interesting to know who his "people" are. Just pointing out that my "looks the part" assessment is based on a fair amount of first-hand experience.
    Equinox Equine Massage

-Albert Camus

AHH pics wouldn't come up for me, need to sign in?
    He sounds sweet no matter what!! Glad he has found a good home.
    Coloredhorse, do you by chance ever visit here...... http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php