The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Standing Martingale Attachment

I'm on the hunt for a standing martingale attachment for my breastplate. I have the running attachment but I need the standing for Hunter shows.

I have a Nunn Finer breastplate and I love the matching running attachment. So I ordered the standing version. HATE it. Am sending it back. You have to literally take it apart to attach it. Where the running is a buckle in the front and take 3 seconds to put on or take off.

I want something that is similar to that and I can easily put on (for o/f classes) and take off (for the hacks).

It doesn't have to match exactly... but close would be nice.

Suggestions?

This is what I currently have:

Breastplate:
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...egory_Code=BAM

Running Attachment (but I have the one w/ elastic):

Standing Attachment (sending back):

Beval has one on sale with a clip. No picture (of course) but worth a phone call since it is only $29.98!

http://www.beval.com/Products/Newpor...t/6006200.aspx

You can keep the one you have if you take it apart and add a clip. Voila, clip it on when you need it.

You are probably better off getting a standing martingale and showing without the breastplate at hunter shows, though. They are not "fashionable" and will stick out in a ring full of breastplate-less horses.

I'm a bit weary of just having it attached by a clip. I have this image of it snapping.

I do have a regular standing martingale but I'm finding my saddle fits better w/ the breastplate.

I second the clip idea if you will use the breastplate. You can get a brass one (if your breastplate is brass) that will be very sturdy or a regular chrome one for about $1 at a hardware store and easy on/easy off!

I do the same thing with the clip. I HAVE to use a breastplate on my gelding, otherwise the saddle ends up on his tail. The snap makes life SOOOOO much easier at shows and never had a problem with it breaking.

I would also do the snap. Think about it: if your horse slings his head hard enough to break a metal snap, the fact that your martingale is broken is the least of your worries!

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a standing attachment that buckles on in the same fashion as the running attachments.

Like others have said, if ease of removal is what you're after, get a clip.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I have the same attachements. Just use a clip- it can be confusing to get it undone and put the clip on but once the clip is on life is easy.

Okay, thanks... will see if I can find a snap. I've already taken it apart once trying to figure out how in the hell I was going to get this sucker on and off????? LOL

I wonder why they just don't come w/ a snap. Seems what everyone does in the end anyways.

For hunters you will "fit in" better if you use a regular standing martingale and not your breastplate.

I do the hunters and I use what used to be called a "quick-change" martingale -- I sometimes see it called a "yoke" now. It doesn't have the straps to attach to the saddle the way a breastplate does. Anyway, I second the clip. Makes life a bazillion times easier at the shows.

Thanks again everyone. I picked up a swivel trigger snap last night.

I took the attachment apart, put the snap on, put it back together and then took it out to the barn today and tried it out. Perfect.

I only do the local/schooling/backyard stuff in Hunters anymore. I've been doing more eventing stuff lately. My trainer/BM owns her own farm along w/ running the one I'm at. So we are talking about a schooling show (very laid back) at both barns once a year (so 2 shows). 1/2 chaps and casual attire is acceptable. And occasionally I'll go to Lakeside which is part of our local circuit but is also laid back and non-rated. I would probably use my regular standing martingale for that.

So I'm not overly concerned about us not fitting in. Trust me... I see alot stranger things than a breastplate w/ a standing attachment w/ a snap.

I'd rather use the breastplate if it helps keep my saddle from slipping to the side (which it has) than worry too much about fashion.

Default Hey Linda

How's it going? Junior and I will be doing our first event at Spring Bay in April. He's really matured, and we're even doing "real" dressage now. Haven't had time to do a Lakeside show this year, I really miss the cheeseburgers!