The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Geeked about new place....how long does that last? (place your bets!)

I hear of (or have been part of) plenty crazy BO/BM/boarder situations.....

Been on the hunt for a place. Found one. All geeked up about it. How long til it goes to hell?

Seriously? Bets? I'm in a situation where I can pretty much leave as needed if something else comes up so there should not be any "I'm leaving" drama. But what OTHER kinds of drama might occur?

Been a long time since I've been at a boarding barn......so I'm just thinking ahead and wanting to put down some bets for the fun of it.

So....how long do you give me before I start wanting to bail? And bonus points for why. I'll keep track of this one. lol
    Last edited by BuddyRoo; Feb. 13, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I'll play.

I'll be generous and give you 6 weeks, and let's say someone keeps borrowing your brushes/bridle/horse for their own use. Cut the time in half if they borrow your stuff and keep it or break it.

If you've chosen carefully (good rules, rigorously enforced), and you keep to yourself and out of other people's dramas, and you have an escape route (stops one from sweating the petty stuff, big time), and you put away and secure your stuff every time you ride, you should be fine.

Hmm I am going to call the crazy lady* in the feed room with your supplements. Hmm give it 4-5 months. (it will take her while do find out what your horse is on or isn't on and she will know better)

*every med-to large barn has a crazy lady. It seems to be an immutable law of some kind. Be it the crazy arab lady, the crazy DQ lady, etc you get the idea. Occasionally the 'crazy lady' is a man.. but not often. (and if you don't think your barn has one.. you may be it haha)

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    If you've chosen carefully (good rules, rigorously enforced), and you keep to yourself and out of other people's dramas, and you have an escape route (stops one from sweating the petty stuff, big time), and you put away and secure your stuff every time you ride, you should be fine.
    Awww, where's the fun in that? C'mon, play along.

Was thinking the same thing. Don't be a fun hater! Let's stir up drama!

LOL

Should I begin with stealing shavings? Or go straight to tack?

(i'm kidding)

I'll play - I call the disorganized BO who makes a different policy for different boarders regarding turnout, and I'll give you three months before your horse gets beat up and it's All Your Fault for not following the rules regarding turnout, which of course are not the same rules you recall from when you signed the contract, but of course they aren't actually printed on the contract, the BO gave them to you verbally.

Truly Crazee would buy their own shavings and have a stash in the trunk of the car but never use them and still complain about the bedding and how much the stash of shavings costs.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

How long since you've had your horses boarded?

Bet you've forgotten the peculiar "joy" of dealing with what I call the Scarlett O'Hara Boarder:
    People who frankly don't give a damn about their horse's care - don't have clue to what is fed, can't be bothered to schedule vet or farrier or to be there when the pros are, all this is left to BO/BM.
    Owner may show up to ride...or not.

One place I boarded had a horse whose owner sent a monthly check to cover board, shoeing & vet but never came to the barn. Not once in the 2 years I was there. And this was not an older or retired horse.
    Go Figure
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I call crazy BO's relative in the feed room, screwing up the difference between senior feed, beet pulp (soaked) and 10% pellets. Also, (key detail) said relative will be performing this task sans knowledge of which horse is which, aside from big, black, or spotted. God help you if there are TWO spotted horses!

(It's like clue- you call a suspect, a location, and a weapon of drama)
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    Hmm I am going to call the crazy lady* in the feed room with your supplements. Hmm give it 4-5 months. (it will take her while do find out what your horse is on or isn't on and she will know better)

*every med-to large barn has a crazy lady. It seems to be an immutable law of some kind. Be it the crazy arab lady, the crazy DQ lady, etc you get the idea. Occasionally the 'crazy lady' is a man.. but not often. (and if you don't think your barn has one.. you may be it haha)
    LOL, most big barns have more than one "crazy lady"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Yep

I was a little worried when I moved to my current barn that the honeymoon wouldn't last, but I'm going on two years now and happy as a clam.

There's been some drama, sure, it happens, but a great group of people and excellent management... it is possible!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Default I'll play...

I'll say 3mos - that's when the ponymom comes in with the screaming toddler in tow, and the pug is running loose with the lead trailing behind it, being chased down by the 5yo...while ponymom is screaming for the brats to stop chasing the dog and come take this pony!! ohhhh, wait - that was my nightmare - sorry!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I'm going to go with the busy-body boarder (though the clueless part-time help is a close second). This person is God's greatest gift to horses, and knows everything about every discipline, and is a vet and a farrier. He or she will tell you each and every day what you are doing wrong, be it not picking the hoof in the proper direction, or not trotting precisely three times around the ring so the horse can learn the routine. Extra bonus points if this person is not just weird, but involved in some crazy fad that he or she doesn't really understand, but will push on you anyway.

Also, bonus points when you blow her off and she either starts telling everyone you abuse your horse, or starts working with your horse when you aren't there because poor poopsie hasn't learned any of crazy fad x,y,z.

ETA: I'll say it takes two months for her to drive you crazy, and another two to actually leave.

Ugh, these situations are awful. I found a lovely little place last year when I moved, and I couldn't be happier! I always try to stick to places that are more training barns than boarding barns but have a few extra stalls and are small and private. That way, most of the customers are very respectful and are kept under the trainer's thumb = )

The place where I'm at now absolutely fits the bill. Trainer is the manager and owner (so no worries about the uneducated barn manager being stingy with shavings or hay...), and she absolutely adores all of the horses in the barn. My guy is on pasture board for the winter, and he gets checked everyday, blanket gets put on and taken off whenever necessary, and I get an email/phone update if it's been a few days since I've been out. And I'm usually the only boarder there because of my schedule = )

I've been at a couple of places where the barn owner was new-ish to horses and decided after a year that they knew everything and were penny pinchers (you don't buy a barn to make that much money, lady)... That meant X amount of shavings no matter how big or small the horse, X amount of hay unless you snuck it yourself... halters constantly going missing. Boarders running you over in the arena and telling them you cut them off, um, no... Obnoxious little children feeding your horse things and teaching them to paw/nip. Oy. Oh, and it usually meant extremely unexperienced help... One place had teenagers as help that had never even touched a horse before and would clean stalls in flip flops (both gross and unsafe). And they didn't know enough to take out the pee, just the poop...

Or there was the place where they had heard bad things about my new project (the old owners told them he kicked... he doesn't, they just disliked him and so mistreated him) and refused to clean the stall unless he was out of it. This is a 15 hand appy who would really much rather stay out of your way unless you have a cookie and is too shy/detatched to nip or kick. So if the BM was not around, my stall would go uncleaned... And it also flooded. Koppertox was my friend.

Anyway - good luck! It's possible you've found a good place and might make some good friends = ) I'm definitely in my dream place now. It's been almost a year, and there hasn't even been a hint of drama.

it would help to know how many other boarders/horses are there, if your BO has a day job off the farm, if there is an arena and/or resident trainer. bonus points if there are 'parelli' or 'classical' trainers

then I will give you my professional gambler estimate and odds.

I moved right after Christmas and I am still geeked!! I love love love my new BO and she thinks my friend and I are the greatest boarders ever. My horse is very happy, and since there is an indoor I am able to get a lot of riding time in. There is also no barn trainer- everyone who wants to bring their own in does so and we have a schedule for lessons so nobody interferes. It is really low key, but an extremely nice facility and I love it!

Not going to give time estimates, but here are some honeymoon-enders:

1. The crazy lady repeatedly emerges from a dark corner just as you are getting ready to ride and wastes all your time telling you stuff that she thinks you need to know.
    2. The goat jumps on your car, making numerous dents.
    3. You step in dog poop more than once.
    4. You arrive one day in time to see your good saddle being used in a lesson on one of the lesson horses.
    5. You arrive one day in time to see your HORSE being used in a lesson by the new working student. "That's not Freddie????" she exclaims. "I didn't realize! They're both bay!"

Seriously, best of luck!

Default OOOH I know!!!

I'll say 4 months. That's when the friendliness wears off and you realize that the barn is over run with unsupervised tween hunter princesses on summer vacation!!! All of your miscellaneous horse supplies start being "borrowed". No they do not steal, but anyone and everyones' stuff is fair game and will be used as they see fit. Ooooh you have a lunge line!!! Perfect, my horse is a little fresh this morning.... Ooooh I have to go get Dobbin out of the back pasture and I left his halter by his stall. I'll just borrow BuddyRoo's, she won't mind..... Later you head to the barn to find your halter covered in mud and left on the ground and your lunge line tangled up and in the middle of the arena. It is a mystery, indeed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by feisomeday View Post
    it would help to know how many other boarders/horses are there, if your BO has a day job off the farm, if there is an arena and/or resident trainer. bonus points if there are 'parelli' or 'classical' trainers

then I will give you my professional gambler estimate and odds.

ANSWERS:
    I believe there are something like 20 stalls in the boarding barn? And owners have another barn with 20 or so horses of their own? I think several of the boarders have multiple horses.

So far, I've only met one boarder and she's there for winter only and is friendly (dressage). It appears that the majority of the boarders do not come out regularly. In fact I was told that the weekends are pretty dead. No young kids.

1/2 of the saddles in the tack room were Western, 1/2 English and by English I mean 99.9% dressage.

There is one trainer who comes in EOW to teach dressage lessons on Sat.

My vet lives 5 miles away from the barn and says I should be fine care-wise...she is the primary vet used at the facility.

BO does barn stuff full time.

Beautiful big indoor with sand/rubber mix. Lovely outdoor. Nice fields to ride in.

I have some indication (via the BO) that there will be two potentially entertaining though harmless boarders but the internet is a very small world so I shall keep that under my hat for now.

I should mention (as this may modify your odds) that I've been to this place several times in the past with a friend who boarded there. The last time I was there was a few years ago when we put down her gelding. The place has several improvements since then--outdoor, observation room, hot water and a wash rack, etc.

I think it will be fine, but people never do cease to amaze me. The crazier the story, the more likely it is to be true it seems!

MY BET:
    SO...my bet is that while I'm there, a very high maintenance someone will move in with a horse that they insist must never ever get muddy, wet, cold, hot, etc and as such, shall remain in a stall 24/7. Said person will also insist that Pookie be fed 10 lbs of sweet feed daily...resulting in a very amped up and frustrated critter.

At some point, this person will throw a leg over--wait--no--they won't actually ride. Just longe. Yeah. Side reins and stuff. So at some point, this person will get out, NO WAIT! Will be in the cross ties grooming the horse and horse will flip out--striking owner.

Owner will sue BO for medical expenses related to her facial and dental injuries and some for emotional distress to Pookie which CLEARLY precipitated the whole event.

And sadly...being one of the few boarders who goes there daily, I will have witnessed it all and be ordered to go to court and testify.

At which point, I will refer the court to a detailed account via COTH where I posted as an alter. And then we'll find that person is ACTUALLY the Crazy Crayola Trainer Lady and the COTH dogs will have to come and bail me out of jail where I'll be sitting because I was found in contempt for laughing hysterically when I put it all together on the stand.

Why be so pessimistic?

It may very well work out. Sometimes when we are a bit apprehensive, we end up really appreciating the services. When we are all crazy about a new place, we tend to be disappointed faster!

I stayed at my first barn for 5 years (3 before owning a horse, just taking lessons) and 2 with the horse. But the BO thought way too much of herself and too little of her boarders, esp. the ones like me who wanted to learn and were constantly being put down. When I handed her my notice, I thought she was going to have a heart attack! Took me for granted a bit too much?

I stayed at the second barn 4 1/2 years and only left because a retired mare does not need the bells and whistles (arena/viewing room) and the high boarding cost. The BM was wonderful, always aware of whatever went on (30 boarders) and nipping any potential problem in the bud (adults only, not a lesson barn). I loved her so much that I moved the mare to her own farm and have been there a little bit over a year.

There are only 10 boarders and the 6 personal horses. I love it! She considers my mare like her own and cares for her in the same way as before. Great t/o (I never worry that they will stay in too much), great care (homegrown hay), clean stalls in an older bank barn and reasonable board price. No riding ring until the hay is off the fields, but trails. Perfect!

And my mare was reunited with her best friend!!

Please don't go in convinced that the honeymoon won't last and "looking" for problems to arise! I think you are experienced enough to have asked all the proper questions too...