The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Happy Mouth King Dee Mullen

I was looking over the Smartpak website and under the description for the Happy Mouth King Dee Mullen Bit, it said "a favorite with H/J trainers". I was just wondering why it is and what a trainer would use it for. Just looking to expand my knowledge!

I'm not a trainer, but I ride my mare in one.

We use it because she's got a soft mouth and doesn't like a lot going on in there. We started out in a French link, and it was too much, so a friend suggested the HMMM. She was quiet, soft, and happy in it, so in it we remain

My horse also loves it. He has such a soft mouth that he doesn't even need a bit but he goes wonderfully in that
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Oh! Is marketing copy taken gospel truth now? Cool! I work in marketing. Time to implement my evil plan to take over the world, one copy edit at a time!

Actually, I know a lot of people that use that bit because the horses like it. My horse hated it (I think the bulbs in the center bugged her), but she does love her happy mouth single jointed D. Now, if I could get her to stop eating the darned things!

My horse has one and seems to like it. My pony liked the Happy Mouth bits too much, and kept eating them. I'm cheap, so he has a metal bit now.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Hah! Mouthpiece aside, I promise you anything with that honkin' ugly old white bar on the side of their mouth isn't a favorite of any top trainer I know!

Now the custom version I bought? That's a favorite of mine and many others, although the price was not a favorite. I like the bit, my horse likes the bit, but I think any claims to be a favorite is safely in the marketing rhetoric category.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Ok, well maybe i should reword this:

What effect does a rubber mullen mouth have on a horse versus, say a rubber jointed snaffle or a rubber french link?

Just curious. My horse currently goes in a rubber jointed snaffle. I was thinking of trying him in the HMMM but like they always say "if it ain't broke don't fix it", so maybe I won't.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

if your horse has a low palate he may prefer a mullen mouth of some variety or another, that's the typical advantage of the mouthpiece. If I was serious about showing him in it I probably would try a nathe as well, if for no other reason than they make a nathe bit with a proper D that's relatively affordable.

At the time I bought my custom one ($200 ) I had a choice between that and a custom nathe ($180 a little less ) but since my horse had been going around in the HMMM it wasn't worth saving that few $$ out of that many $$$$$ only to find out he hated the nathe. But now there is a nice off the shelf version of the nathe that is under $70 IIRC.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Some that are what you'd call busy mouthed go a little quieter in a mullen as do those that resent the nutcraker action of the typical jointed snaffle for various reasons.

But that statement is just ad copy-you will see mullen mouths in every tackroom but won't see to many HM with the thick white bar at the shows-just does not look neat at all.

If your horse goes well in what you normally ride them in, don't change it up. I do like to rotate the bits to keep mine alert and listening but not going to go dump a fortune into them. Use what you got already.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default Switched from HM Mullen to a FAT french link loose ring

The Appendix gelding that I'm leasing had always (and I mean for the past 6 years always) gone in a HM Mullen. He liked it lots. Frankly, he spent so much time liking it (licking, chewing, attempting to snarf it, etc) that getting his attention on anything else was a real challenge. To be fair, he's not the sharpest crayon in the box. Even when he wasn't masticating constantly, we were having problems with getting him to bend and supple and really accept the bit.

One of my trainers (I ride with 2 different ladies) recommended that we change to something jointed so that we could have leverage on one side of the bit only to see if that would help with the suppling and bending. Presto, chango! One fat French link loose ring later (we call it his "big boy bit") and he's a totally different ride.

He's never going to be fancy, but having a more flexible bit really made a difference with us. And now he's more apt to focus on what we're doing than the bit.

I've used various other rubber/HM bits in the past usually with very good results. I much prefer to have the softest bit possible in a horses' mouth. But for this guy, it's nice not to have to be replacing it constantly due to getting gnawed upon in addition to gaining more focus out of him.

I had a lesson pony with low palate who was terribly uncomfortable (head tossing, ear pinning miserable) in anything jointed but was a pleasure to ride in a happy mouth mullen mouth. Agree with DMK though - if this pony had done rated shows, I'd have needed to find an alternative (custom?) so it would look more appropriate. For the schooling shows she did with lesson students, I thought it was fine.

I have often used a rubber mullen mouth pelham both at home and at shows for eq horses. I have one fussy-mouthed one who goes great in it; he also likes the happy mouth snaffle we flat in. The rubber is black, however, so I think it looks more appropriate for showing than the day-glo white or yellowish happy mouth. I'd be thrilled if the happy-mouth folks would make them in black!

I have two favorite bits that have what are called "Cambridge" mouths (a low port). One is a full-cheek, and the other is a D ring with a vulcanite (hard rubber) mouth. In the UK, I understand the loose-ring Cambridge bits are sometimes called "magic bits" because so many horses go well in them. My mare loves these bits -- she just doesn't like any bit that's jointed. I used to ride her in a full-cheek HM french link, and she used to pull in it, and occasionally put her tongue over the bit. I've had no such issue with the Cambridge bits.

I've ridden lots of different horses in the full-cheek Cambridge, and they all seem to love it.