The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My New House/Farm!

So, I'm closing on my first house tomorrow and just had to share with horsie people who will appreciate it! It's a small house, sitting on 8.5 acres on a very quiet road, backing up to the woods.

There are a few back sheds, but my wonderful boyfriend is already making plans to remove them, and build a small 2 stall barn and pasture for my current horse Vinnie, and a future horse for himself (Yeah, not only is he going to build the barn for me, but really wants to learn to ride and go trail riding with me! I love him. )

I just can't believe I will finally be able to have my horse in my own backyard! We got a very good deal on this place, and cannot wait to get started on making it a farm!

Pictures at Nothnagle.com, MLS# 829380.

Any advice on horses-at-home and barn building are welcome!

<3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

WOW you got an awesome deal! For acreage and a house, that price is

I'm in WNY also and looking for something similar, but more towards Buffalo.

Congrats on your new home!! Enjoy!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Congratulations! I know how excited you must be!
    Sweet house, and plenty of land with it. You must be so looking forward to sitting on the deck watching the horses graze.
    Well done!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Nice house!
    Great price!!
    If it were me, I'd be planning a whooooole lot of interior redo...
    Gotta love those dropped ceilings and ersatz paneling...
    But the site looks awesome for horses

My $.02:
    Plan your farm on paper before you build.
    Make sure to set things up to make horsekeeping as easy as possible.
    For me that meant stalls opening to the sacrifice paddock that in turn opens to pastures which can be closed off by gates.
    Horses have free access 24/7/365, coming in only to be fed and that makes my job a lot easier.
    Electric and a frost-free hydrant inside the barn are not optional IMO!
    In retrospect I wish I'd perimeter-fenced as much acreage as possible - more pasture, less mowing.

Keep us posted on the move & building!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Congrats!!! What a sweet lil' house.... the kitchen is SO cute--very retro
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks guys!!

Yeah, the interior...uh, needs updating. Haha. The kitchen is definatly NOT my taste, lol. The funny thing is, my boyfriend is coming up with a bunch of ideas for the house while can only think of the barn/pastures, haha. But the general design of the house I love, it's small but really quaint! Just enough room for Myself, my boyfriend, and our 3 dogs. Would you believe the old owners raised 4 KIDS in there??

Some of our plans for the house eventually include:
    *Take down the panels and replace it with drywall (The listing doesn't show the bedrooms, but the spare bedroom is...uh...Magenta Panels, haha).
    *Reside the house, and replace the door next to the porch with a window
    *Redo the Roof (It's old)
    *Redo the Kitchen cabnits
    *Retile the bathroom
    *Redo the floors.

Of course, it's gonna take a few years. But my brain is really only thinking of the barn right now, haha.

We are thinking of building a 2 stall shed-row type barn with a side room. I like my horse out as much as possible, so it could double as a run-in as well.

We have tons of ideas, and currently are sorting them all out, figuring out what would be best.

I'm just so excited! Any other barn ideas are appreciated!!!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

Congrats! Great job!

Just an FYI, you can paint paneling and it gives a cute wainscoting look until you can redo with drywall.
    That is a cute lil house!

Ditto the suggestion to paint the paneling. It will lighten up the interior a lot, and looks great. I did it in a '60s home that I once lived in. Just use a primer such as Kilz first. I recommend oil-based paint. You'll be amazed at the difference - both in making the place lighter and brighter and roomier-feeling, plus how it will update it.

I woudl also paint the kitchen cabinets. You can save $$$$ by painting instead of replacing. I've also done that. Yours look like they are in good shape, just outdated. Sand, Sand, Sand, spackled holes, buy new hardware, paint with good oil based paint....you'd be amazed at the difference. For cheap!

Another ditto to paint the paneling for now.

We have a shedrow barn and I hate it. Would kill for a barn with an aisleway. At least do
    a goodsized overhang. You will love that aisle when the weather sucks outside so you can
    have some room to work out of the wind and snow.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Very nice find. We re-habbed our farmhouse built in 1860. New windows, siding and insulation have helped, a LOT. This house is pretty snug in the winter, considering its age. One of the reasons is the dropped ceilings, so I'd think twice about replacing them. The higher the ceiling, the more area to heat in those cold NY winters. We had a lot a dark paneling here to overcome as well, some we repainted, some we covered over with a light wallboard. Totally redid our kitchen, as someone did a very poor job of painting the cabinets Laid tile, ripped out rugs etc. Worth it in the end.

I agree about having a barn with an interior aisle, the winds here today are 45-50 mph. Nice and snug inside the bank barn (as old as the house) with barely a breeze inside. Make a biiig difference.

Fencing is the most important thing to spend money on first, IMO. Start out with great fencing right from the start, and you won't regret it. Ours is going on twenty years old, and going strong, other then the first two corners we built, and we have learned much since then.

Congradulations on becoming a homeowner. Bet you can't wait to see your horse grazing behind the house!!
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Thanks for all the great advice!

Yeah, I cannot WAIT until I can wake up & see him outside! It is bittersweet though...I keep him at my Best Friend's barn now, and she takes great care of him. I know they love him too...he's a goofball alrite! We have a lot of fun all together, but her own house with a few of her horses is not far away, and we are planning on doing lots of trail riding and showing together this summer, so I won't lose my horsey social life!

Thanks all so much for the well-wishes! And I'm always open to any advice!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010

If the sheds are decent...I'd keep them and build near them instead of tearing them down. Seriously...you can *never* have too much storage. Sheds are great spots to store extra bedding, grain, hay, park the wheelbarrow, lawnmowers, out of season stuff, etc.
    Congrats...I'm going to go look up your new house now.

ETA...saw your new home. Very cute! I'm also dying over both the price and the low taxes! I have half that acreage and about 4x those taxes, LOL! You can;t buy a one acre building lot here for that price...awesome deal! Make sure to take before and after photos as you build and rehab it!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

dang, i wanna see it too! how do i find the listing?

Listing is in OP's first post. Copy and paste.

Super deal on a great little acreage, CONGRATS!! The place we're looking at is waaaay more money w/ 13+ acres, pond, barn/shop combo and fencing already in. Even though it's more, the expense of making it more horse friendly is already done! YAY!!

I agree w/ MB about keeping the sheds, especially if they're in decent condition. You'll never have enough storage.

One of the sheds on the place we're going to buy is a "tack room" named by the previous owners that raised TWH. Outside the back door by a main gate and a nice area to groom and tack up. We're going to put a hitching rail or post there.

Enjoy making your new place your home!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Congrats, what a deal!

I agree, keep the buildings. There is a LOT more to having farm with horses than just building a small horse barn...

At the very least you'll need equipment such as a tractor and bush hog/finishing mower, horse trailer and truck and if you guy's are like us, you'll have more than just that to make life soooooo much easier. You'll need the storage space for that equipment. You'll need to be able to store hay, shavings, etc as well. Believe me, you will find a purpose for those buildings soon. (and yes, you can initially do without those toy's to conserve cash etc, but you'll be dependant on others... been there done that and never again).

You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

That is a really neat place.
    You ask for advice and I would say, don't change anything or do much else until you have lived there for a while.
    You may decide that some things are fine as they are, you may find there is a low spot here or there you wish you had known about and fenced thru a different place, the way the sun raises or lowers may make you like some features in the house better than they look just standing there in the middle of the day, etc.

If the kitchen cabinets have a good paint job, that it is flowery and not "modern" may not matter, since it is an old type house and it makes it unique.
    Changing the countertop alone may really enhace the whole kitchen.
    I would add a little neat stove in a corner, to have some direct heat in the gloomy winter days.

Boy, you are going to have fun there.

I agree with those who say live with it for awhile. See how the property drains before you decide on anything permanent.

I'm sooooo envious of your 8+ acres. You will have so much fun doing this! Congratulations.

Default Congrats

Congrats! My boyfriend and I just bought an 8 acre farm with a house in need of work and we built a barn on it too! We closed in July and put in the barn and all of our fencing by ourselves and with the help of our great dairy farmer neighbors! ts been a lot of work the last few months but I love having the horses in our backyard! What a dream come true!

We bought all of our fence used off of a craigslist ad..It ended up being great so check out craiglist or any local horse or ag forums. There are also some great building supply auctions in our area so that may be something to check out for home stuff.