The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default in-memory-of show name for my new hunter? UPDATE and final decision with pics, page 2

I need show name suggestions. A horse I have coveted for years just became available - and affordable - and now he is mine! I am ecstatic, and now I need a show name.

But here's the caveat: my older brother died very unexpectedly three months ago. And since a great deal on this horse fell into my lap so fortuitously, I would like to honor my brother somehow with the name. So here are details of brother and horse, as well as my ideas. I would love to hear your suggestions!

My brother's name is John Miller Conn, junior. He went by Miller since John is our father's name. He was 29, married, two children. His daughter is six, his son is seven months old. He died on November 13, 2008, in the evening at home.

My brother was a Russian linguist for the military for five years (all he was allowed to tell us was that his job involved "listening to a lot of radio static" - some kind of crazy top secret stuff, although, according to him "very boring"). He was trained at the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, California, and he graduated at the top of his class.

He got out of the military a couple of years ago, bought a house near Athens, Georgia, and applied to and was accepted by the University of Georgia's law school. He was halfway through his first semester when he died.

He was a brilliant artist and musician. Yes, I am biased, but he really did have a lot of talent. His band's name is the Sonic Consortium. He not-so-secretly wanted to be a rock star. A preppy-ish, lawyering, drum-circle-playing rock star.

So something Russian, something about drums (he has these huge ethnic-looking drums all over the house), something about a budding legal education?

And here is horse info:

Charlie, registered Caballero
    16'3.5 dark bay Hanoverian (pictures and a video below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyq4kn5_0K4 - trot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuROY9C8NM# - canter (turn sound off if you don't want to hear my giggling!)

http://picasaweb.google.com/juneyencer/Charlie# - photos

So my name ideas:

Thirteenth of Always
    Pravda (russian newspaper)

The following are transliterated Russian words that might be okay:

Novosti (news)
    Molodo (young)
    Milaya Moya (my sweet)
    Vecher (evening)

Anyway, sorry this is long. I cut out as much as I could about my brother. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Last edited by GGsuperpony; Mar. 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM.

What about something more specific to your brother, like "Radio Static" or "Miller's Honor" or something like that?
    I find that a ducks opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread but they do not have the capability to buy a loaf. Thats the biggest joke on the duck ever.

What a loving tribute to your brother. I am very sorry for your loss.

What about a song title from his band? "Dreamcatcher", "All It Took" or "October Song" ...?

Lion's Roar - it's a type of percussion instrument

Kokiriko - it's another

I must say I like "Miller's Honor" though!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Millers Crossing was the first thing that came to my mind.

I like Millers Honor too.

You could always name him after your brother's band: Sonic Consortium. Offbeat but I kind of like it.

I am so sorry for your loss. I think naming your horse for your brother is a lovely idea.

Sounds like you've got some great options. I personally like "Thirteen of Always" the best, but only if you aren't superstitious about that number. The Russian names are great, but I can only imagine how they would get butchered over the loud-speaker at a show! "Sonic Consortium" and "Radio Static" are fun too though.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Dreamcatcher is my favorite song now. Sadly, I never heard any of his music until after he died.

By the way, if you found the myspace page he is the one in the cowboy hat in their picture. Also he is the one singing in Dreamcatcher and in Lit Fuse.

I like Miller's Honor too but I need to think hard on whether that might make me cry in the ring...!

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming!

Brainstorming here:

The Russian Linguist

Russian Lawyer

Musical Language (or Linguist)

Musical Lawyer

Drumming Russian

Singing Lawyer

Singing Russian

Charlie Miller (who doesn't like a horse with a last name? Worked for Teddy O'C)

Russian Miller

Musical Language (or Linguist)
    That made me think about Lyrical Linguist instead? I will put that one on the list!

Thanks for the brainstorming!

Quote Originally Posted by GGsuperpony View Post

I like Miller's Honor too but I need to think hard on whether that might make me cry in the ring...!
    Instead of thinking how it might make you cry, think of how PROUD it will make you. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine.

((hugs))
    I find that a ducks opinion of me is very much influenced over whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread but they do not have the capability to buy a loaf. Thats the biggest joke on the duck ever.

The first thing that came to mind for me was

It's Miller Time

I'm betting your brother had a good sense of humor, so it doesn't seem inappropriate.

Avocat is Russian for lawyer.

Some "spy" words:

Black Propaganda
    Clandestine
    Double Agent
    Encryption
    Espionage
    Fortezza - which would be really good, considering his military work - it's a digital communications encryptor
    Music Box (a radio transmitter)
    Tradecraft
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Fortezza - which would be really good, considering his military work - it's a digital communications encryptor
    Music Box (a radio transmitter)
    I LOVE that one!!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

GiantPony, thanks! Those are great!

Sincere condolences on the loss of your brother. He sounded like a great guy. Obviously, you were very close to him to want to name your new horse in his memory.

Miller's Secret Beat
    Radio Spy
    Sonic's Drummer

So sorry for your loss What a nice way to honor your brother's memory.

I really like MGP's idea of "Miller Time". And what about simply "John Miller".

Some one word ones:
    Miller
    Linguistic
    Remembrance

And of course, any of his band's songs would be fitting as well.

Good luck with your new boy!
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Condolences.

What a lovely tribute though.

Dreamcatcher seems fitting.

I was thinking Miller's Time .. as opposed to It's Miller Time
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Love Fortezza.. thats a great one and not impossible to pronounce.

I got a horse right after my dad passed away when I was in college. My dad had been a military pilot and kept a frame in his office of a poem a pilot in WWII wrote .. "Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth/And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,/Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth/Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things/You have not dreamed of...And, while silent, lifting mind I've trod/The high untrespassed sanctity of space,/Put out my hand, and touched the face of God." You can read the whole thing here: http://www.santacruzpl.org/readyref/.../hiflite.shtml

I named him "High Flight" in memory of my dad, and actually even had the poem written and kept in my helmet all the years I showed that horse. Even though I sold him on- he was very special to me because of that connection that I had with him to my dad.

Is there a song or poem that your brother (especially since he was a musician) liked especially or that reminds you of him that you could name the horse after?
    Teneriffe Enterprises- NW Indiana
    www.saradanielhaynes.com

How about something like,

'Own Drummer' - as in marches to the beat of his own drum

I like 'Avocat' too, as well as 'Fortezza'

Once again, I'm sorry for you loss, and this is such a sweet thing to do!
    Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look
    around once in a while you could miss it.

Popular Vote - Delaney

I'm sorry for your loss and what a lovely tribute to your brother... something will come to you - particularly when it seems you think about it the least. Seems like the more you think about it the goofier names come up. You have some good ones here to pick from... what kind of discipline will you be showing in? There are some names that seem more suited for hunters and some more for jumpers..sometimes the best names are the least obvious..

My trainer became a widow at the tender age of 29 her husband killed in a car accident... sometimes after his death she bought a lovely mare which she aptly named Starting Over...

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Avocat is Russian for lawyer.
    Actually "avocat" is French and means both lawyer and avocado... so I'm not sure you want to go this way.

What about "Ever Miller"? ... I'm not sure it makes as much sense as I think it does, but I like the sound of it.

So sorry for your terrible loss. This is a sweet idea you've had to pay your brother a nice tribute.