The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dover's Suffolk Bridles???

Has anyone owned one of these? Are they okay for schooling bridles? I need an inexpensive schooling bridle, but I want something that is sturdy enough for young TBs. The last schooling bridle I bought lasted about a day.

Thanks!

Get an HDR Pro (NOT Advantage line) for schooling. I use them and love them! You may be able to find a deal on Ebay.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I had one and it was great I wasn't expecting much at that price, and bought it solely as a schooling bridle. The leather was much better than I anticipated, and it was much nicer looking than I anticipated too.

I was pretty surprised, given that it was about $40.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I love them! I've had mine for over 7 years, and never had any problems. All my horses have one, for schooling and the fancy stitched one for showing
    You board with what I call a, sh!t disturber - Patty Lynch

I have one also. Bought it for schooling and it's held up well. Leather tends to be a bit dry and stiff, but better than I thought it would be for the price. Attractive enough bridle to leave on for the little shows or riding in nasty weather. Has held up well with minimal care.

Is the suffolk line higher or lower than the crown line? Because there is a crown bridle on clearance at Millers (Dover's outlet store) for super cheap.

Personally, I love Heritage stuff. I order it from either styalways or saddlery4u2 on e-bay. Very inexpensive and very nice!

Got one for a schooling bridle. Wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. A couple of coats of oil softened the leather nicely, it's reasonably well constructed and I don't at all have the feeling that it will disintegrate the first time it gets any pressure at all. Perfectly adequate for a daily schooling bridle.

I did replace the browband; my horse needed a slightly larger one. Got a cheap brass clincher brow, and paid almost as much for that as I did for the rest of the bridle!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Haven't used one, but if you are going to get one, order it from Miller's (now owned by Dover) - lower price AND cheaper shipping (this is true for EVERY product I have looked at there).
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks for the suggestions! Is Millers website Millersharness.com?

I also have one of these.

I have had it for years.

It currently is a schooling bridle for my TB and I have no complaints about it.

Also - check out this bridle at Miller's. I bought this as a back up to my other bridle (I use one for schooling and competition). It comes with reins, is super affordable, and a great, classically styled, padded bridle for the money.
    http://millerharness.com/product.asp...sage+Bridle_E_

They have other bridles as well that are cheaper, but they are not padded.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! Is Millers website Millersharness.com?
    Yup
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I have two I have had for about 3 - 4 years they are great bridles for the price!

I have two of the Dover circuit bridles and they are both beautiful bridles, but need lots of initial oiling. I also have their circuit cc saddle and it's also a really nice saddle for the price, so I think the suffolk would be fine for schooling, probably better than most others you'd find at that price.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I've had mine for almost two years and it's the only bridle I use for Sam... I'm planning on getting a better bridle soon when I can afford a really nice one, but the Suffolk is actually very nice for that price. It's held up well, softened up with some conditioner and not much of a visual difference from the high-end bridles unless you get up close and personal with it. (:

Here's a picture of it up close (Sam is mid-sneeze, beg pardon for his expression): http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/41...600x600Q85.jpg

And up close showing the stitching on the browband: http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/39...600x600Q85.jpg

I also had to get a bigger browband--but because the bridles are so cheap, I bought a cob bridle and a horse bridle, and mix-and-matched the parts. Now his bridle's getting small on him (must be his expanding brain) so I'm just going to swap out more cob for horse parts. Definitely a plus of the cheap bridle. (: I also always have a backup pair of reins because of that...

Yes, I am definitely going with the suffolk...on sale for $29.99 in dover's sale catalog. How can you beat that? Thanks for the tips everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Yes, I am definitely going with the suffolk...on sale for $29.99 in dover's sale catalog. How can you beat that?
    By buying it here: http://millerharness.com/product.asp...cd2=1234501248

Same bridle... might as well save yourself an extra $7 ($5 on the bridle, $2 on the shipping, as the higher Dover price will push it to the next-higher shipping bracket)