The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Pergolide supplier-Cost and efficacy?

I've been using the suspension from the vet pharmacy, but the cost is kind of high-$130 for an amount that lasts about 45 days.
    I need to order again, biting the $10 outside pharmacy-use bullet and trying to get a more stable product that I can administer easily to this little grump, and I think capsules are the way to go from what I've read. I can make my own suspension of it daily or top dress it if she doesn't mind it (she did okay with the powder from the vet, just more $$).
    I know you guys will have suggestions, and I would appreciate any!

Thumbs up thriving pets pharmacy

it's a mail order compounding pharmacy.
    high quality of product and best prices you can find.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I get mine from Pet Health Pharmacy in AZ. I pay $21.50 for 30 1 mg capsules, including shipping, and they are super fast! I usually get it within 2-3 days of my order. While I haven't actually had the medication tested for quality it's alleviated my mare's symptoms, so I feel like it's working! Their website is www.pethealthpharmacy.com

I use Veterinary Pharmacies of America. ( http://www.vetrxrx.com/ ) For the 1 mg/day dose that lasts 100 days I paid $99.62 and that included shipping so your basic cost would be ~ $1.00/day. I just ordered more on Dec 16,2008 so that's a pretty recent price. This is the apple-flavored powder.

They will NOT give you a price over the phone. You must submit a prescription and then they will give you a price. My vet suggested this company based on another client that used this firm.

I contacted them initially right after Hurricane Ike went thru in the late summer and they were able to fill the script within a week.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Agree!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

What a timely thread - thank you! I'm paying ~ $45 for 1mg apple-flavor from SmartPak. With another just prescribed Pergolide I'm going to have to change pharmacies.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Price??!! Flavored?!!
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Default it varies depending on how much you order.

i just paid about $30 (don't recall exactly b/c i need 2 day shipping which i paid for extra) for 60 mg (1 mg capsules, apple flavored).

FYI: Be careful with pharmacies. The vet I work with had a case of a horse on pergolide who was on a high dose and still had symptoms. A boarder at the same barn works in a lab and they tested the suspension and found absolutely no pergolide in it. So basically she was paying for flavored liquid and she only found out after her horse had a reoccurrence of laminitis. I don't want to name the pharmacy because I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but I think it is one of the ones that has been mentioned.
    I get my pergolide from Wickliffe Pharmacy. It is apple flavored liquid and I pay $16.25 for 2 months, but I have a pony who gets 0.25 mg per day. I also don't pay any shipping because it gets shipped to the clinic that I work at. We recommend them to all of our clients and haven't had any problems.

Oh no. You've got to tell us.....our horses depend on it.

Ponies are cool!

Default liz2642 is correct.

however thriving pets is a reputable pharmacy used by many many folks (see yahoo cushings group).
    so yes, you need to be careful which pharmacy you use but i can assure you that thriving pets offers a quality product.

THANKS so much for all the responses, after all the positive suggestions about Thriving Pets, I went with them. Ordered 30 capsules of .5mg and got my vet to okay enough refills to get me to Fall when she gets re-evalutated, and the cost was 46 cents per cap, then $12 shipping. Total about $25 (I got some Synovi too) for the pergolide that was costing me anywhere from $105 to $130 every 45 days. Big savings, wish I done it sooner.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Another vote for Thriving Pets- apple flavored capsules, at .50/mg. Can't beat it. My peripherally Cushingoid horse is shedding by the handful- and he hasn't been great about shedding in several years. He is happy and sound- and I am a believer!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Liz2642 View Post
    FYI: Be careful with pharmacies. The vet I work with had a case of a horse on pergolide who was on a high dose and still had symptoms. A boarder at the same barn works in a lab and they tested the suspension and found absolutely no pergolide in it. So basically she was paying for flavored liquid and she only found out after her horse had a reoccurrence of laminitis. I don't want to name the pharmacy because I'm not sure if I remember it correctly but I think it is one of the ones that has been mentioned.
    I get my pergolide from Wickliffe Pharmacy. It is apple flavored liquid and I pay $16.25 for 2 months, but I have a pony who gets 0.25 mg per day. I also don't pay any shipping because it gets shipped to the clinic that I work at. We recommend them to all of our clients and haven't had any problems.
    One way to determine, without having to have the Pergolide tested, is to run another ACTH to see if it's come down. Course you should be doing this anyway, once you've started using Pergolide to determine the correct dose. The 1 mg/day dose has helped my Cushing's horse but it hasn't lowered it to where the vet and I would like to see so I've upped his dose to 1.5 mg/day. We will test again in another 3-4 months to give his body time to acclimate to the new dose. It took easily a good month once I had started him on the Pergolide initially to see any results and the vet had said that would probably be the case. Considering the horse I'm treating was diagnosed with Cushing's a good 2+ yrs before he came to my care, I'm not certain that I'm going to see a huge difference anyway. But if it helps him even only a small bit, I'll be pleased. The old man is a really good guy!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    One way to determine, without having to have the Pergolide tested, is to run another ACTH to see if it's come down. Course you should be doing this anyway, once you've started using Pergolide to determine the correct dose.
    I forgot to add that this horse's ACTH was high despite being on pergolide. I'm not sure how the dose was determined since the horse was under the care of another vet (who originally prescribed the pergolide). She decided to get a second opinion since the horse was having symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz2642 View Post
    I forgot to add that this horse's ACTH was high despite being on pergolide. I'm not sure how the dose was determined since the horse was under the care of another vet (who originally prescribed the pergolide). She decided to get a second opinion since the horse was having symptoms.
    What happened with the Cushings horse I have was the ACTH was run and it was really high, 85 but nothing was done for a couple of yrs till he came to my barn. I started him on 1 mg based on recommendation from the vet. 3 months later I tested him again and it was down to 64 so vet recommended upping the dose to 1.5 mg. In another couple of months I'll test him again to see where we are at. I think the upper level of normal was something like 25 but I'm too lazy right now to go hunt for it. Anyway I know he'll need tested again. I will be anxious to see how he sheds out this spring. The last few yrs he didn't shed but actually molted. You could pull the hair out in clumps but not all came out so he was clipped as soon as it got fairly warm.
    Sue