The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue Seal feeds? Anyone use them? Thoughts?

I have been recommended to use the Blue Seal Vintage Senior. I was wondering if some of you have used it before or any of their feeds before and your thoughts on it?
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I'm a believer in several of their products- Sunshine Plus, Omegatin, and Performance LS. I like their quality better than Purina, it is more consistent, and the pricing is a whole lot more in the realm of reason.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

My dear departed Lacey ate BS Vintage Senior for many, many years and did very well on it. Blue Seal has been around since 1868 and I really trust their products.

I posted not long ago about their Performance LS. I couldn't believe the difference in my horses after switching from Progressive to the Blue Seal LS. They are getting stronger and toplines are looking so much better.

I used Vintage years ago and really liked it. I've been using Progressive Products for the past three years and am so happy that I switched back to Blue Seal.

Dalpal, are you using anything in addition to the LS?

I am top dressing w/ Omegatin and Sunshine but considering cutting those two out... or at least one of the two...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

My vote is for the Vintage feed products offered by Blue Seal.
    Have used this feed for over 10 years...

Actually I use or have used all the supplements they offer too. : )

Cindy
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Dalpal, are you using anything in addition to the LS?

I am top dressing w/ Omegatin and Sunshine but considering cutting those two out... or at least one of the two...

I'd already been using Linpro, Quiessence, Tractguard and Horseshine..so I do still use those products along with the Blue Seal LS.

I've lost so many students in the past two months that I will probably not reorder any supplements other than the Flax, unfortunately.

Great! I am going to get a bag today and incorporate it into his grain now. I never heard of the grain and normally used TC, Legends and now Elite. But this sounds like everything I need in one. I just bought some Lysine supplement to make up for the lack there of in his diet, but it seems this is high in Lysine so I might not need it anymore.

Thanks again everyone...I'm making the switch. He is still in work and we're jumping 3ft stuff perfectly fine. But the vet suggested this to maintain his already in good shape system.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

DSears Guest

Default Vintage Senior & Vintage Gold

We feed Vintage Senior and corn oil to all of our retired Thoroughbreds from the day they come off the racecourse. If one is especially underweight, we feed Vintage Gold of a combination of the two.
    Since it's an extruded feed, we can make a mash with it when needed simply by adding warm water. I'll never go back to pelleted feed and grain as long as there's an extruded feed available.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I'd already been using Linpro, Quiessence, Tractguard and Horseshine..so I do still use those products along with the Blue Seal LS.

I've lost so many students in the past two months that I will probably not reorder any supplements other than the Flax, unfortunately.
    Bummer, I hate that! Hopefully things will get better as we get into spring and the weather gets nicer.
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Well, I'll be the one naysayer... I liked BS Vintage Gold & Senior, but saw HUGE improvement with TC Senior instead.

Take it for what it's worth...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Well, I'll be the one naysayer... I liked BS Vintage Gold & Senior, but saw HUGE improvement with TC Senior instead.

Take it for what it's worth...
    I've heard great things about that too. I had him on it for about 2mths and he wasn't too thrilled with it which is why I had to stop using it. He just wasn't the same, energy level wasn't the same and he seemed kinda blah...so we switched him back to the elite and he was happier, but the elite doesn't have all the yummy nutrients that Blue Seal is said to have.

But thanks for the tip!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    Bummer, I hate that! Hopefully things will get better as we get into spring and the weather gets nicer.
    MW

Tell me about it. I keep hoping that things will pick up. I really want to go back to the Muscle Mix and Keraflex..those were awesome. Maybe things will get better for all of us in the next few months.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

And I came back to say, don't get me wrong... I like the Vintage products very well. Especially vs. Purina or such.

I worked with an APHA farm that used VG exclusively. 99% of the horses, from foals, yearlings, broodies through the breeding stallion, were on 2 quarts--dry measured quarts--of VG a day, and not a ton of grass hay. Good hay, enough hay, but not a ton of it and around 8% protein. They all gained weight upon arrival and had lovely toplines etc.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My TB is on Vintage Performance LS and I love it. He has filled out nicely, especially along the top line. I like that it is an extruded feed and low starc/nsc. I've been very pleased.

Blue Seal has been around a long time and I trust their products. I've never had a quality issue.

I used to feed their Omegatin but I knocked that out when I put him on Performance LS.

He just gets Performance LS, half cup flax and 2 cups alfalfa pellets AM and PM.

My mare has been on Blue Seal's Carb Guard since pretty much the day it came out- almost 2 years I think.

She looks fantastic and people always ask what I'm feeding her

I've used Blue Seal for 5 years, and the boys look great. One was on the low carb and did very well. I really like the hoof supplement Winning Touch EZ Hoof, which has alot of other vitamins in it besides the hoof supplement, very cost-effective at 16.00 for a 5 gallon bucket and works great.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My horses ate Blue Seal for years when I was in CT, and when I moved to FL it was not available here .

Then a new feed store opened up only 4 miles from my barn - sells Blue Seal .

All 3 of my horses are on Vintage Senior and love it, they look great.

I was feeding both Nutrena and Purina products, and they are doing so much better on Blue Seal.

I've been feeding Blue Seal for over 40 years and
    love it. I currently feed vintage senior, sport formula,
    oats, and hay stretcher to group of 25 and they are all
    fat.
    I guess you could call me the Blue Seal poster girl.
    Oh, wait, I am the Blue Seal poster girl, since Fabian and I
    are on many of the bage - Sport, Hunter, Strider etc.
    We are the dressage pair.

Dot

Been using BS products since 1969 when I got my first pony. They have added new products and gotten rid of a few,such as Stampede, but they have good feeds and the ingredients stay the same with each batch. I live right by one of there first mills, have relatives working there and get discounts as well.