The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, have you been riding this winter?

I had ambitious plans to ride regularly this winter, that got kaboshed by life, weather, and light. I needed to keep working on getting Jazz fit in the ring and around the property and figure out what bitless bridle we needed to use -- so we could see if he can handle trail riding this spring. I needed to keep Luke in shape -- at least well enough to not be blowing at the top of every hill , I needed to keep the fat boys from gaining too much weight -- the fat boys being my hubby's horse (he's travelling so much this winter so his horse hasn't been getting a lot of work) and my one semi-retired boarder horse who hasn't been getting any attention from his owners.

I've been good about keeping Jazzy going -- because he's just so joyful about being ridden. Not as much as I would like, but enough. I'm getting Luke out on trail about once a week (not enough!), and the fat boys are getting fat.

I keep telling myself it will be easier after daylight savings time. The weather hasn't been a good enough excuse for me . But if the weather stays like this past week -- it should be easy.

So, how are the rest of you doing?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Ive been riding.
    It's been nasty, icy, freezing and snowy.
    Highly unpleasant- I do admit to spending at least 20 minutes into talking myself into going out the door to ride though!
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

whats that phrase? Just do it! Have your clothes ready to just jump in, and grab your left shoulder with your right hand and drag yourself out the door. Once started, you'll thank yourself.
    To get your horses worked, pony one with you...
    Theres a saying in my world when you are cold....
    "more clothes, work harder"

>>ponied 16 horses last sat in -10* (pa)

Barely. I've been too busy trimming horses to have time to ride. My kids expect to see me once in a while.

the big kicker this year for me has been all our dang rain! and the fact the arena could use a new layer of footing... the combo has made a few days not so doable, but i am still riding at least 4 days a week
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I may be in Wyoming, but I'm spoiled with a heated indoor arena, so we have been riding about 5x a week, haven't been on the trails yet, but going to start to hit the trails 1-2x a week now that the snow is melting and hopefully the mud is drying up

I've been riding at least 3x a week, 2-4 hours at a time this winter. However, after the last couple of ice/snow storms we've been hit with, the trails are a mess. Most of my "riding" time has consisted of cutting and clearing trees and branches.

We're supposed to have high winds tomorrow. . .probably won't be hitting the trails if it's as bad as they're predicting, but I might try to head out for a little while.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Yep, I've been riding on the average of 5 x per week. I must admit that on some of the really cold days (for Va hehe) I bagged riding or just walked around with a wool cooler wrapped around me and horse. My first official trail ride of the year was New Year's day with a group from riding club. I didn't get to go trail riding this past weekend, drat because the weather was beautiful. I have 2 rides scheduled the last week of February, so riding season here I come...

I have only been able to ride a couple of times. I was hoping to ride at least once a week to keep some condition on the horse and I. But our winter has been either -20 below zero weather or warm up and rain to make sheets of ice.
    I don't have a horse trailer at this time so cannot trailer to a indoor arena.
    I'm hoping by March conditions are more condusive to get back into it. More light hours too.

A few bareback nekkid (horse, NOT ME! ) hacks in the pasture is about the weather here would allow me. Too much ice to chance it. A lot of it has now melted, but it's a slick awful muddy mess. Had rain this weekend and a little today and going to have a snow storm Friday. Oh yay! It's winter, it's spring, it's winter.

Once spring hits and things dry out things will change. I have my work cut out for me this year w/ starting a few and continuing education for a few others.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by amdfarm View Post
    ... Oh yay! It's winter, it's spring, it's winter.
    Thanks, I needed that! High winds here today. Temp isn't bad though.

Glad I could help! It's not bad here today, 40's, sunny and little wind. They're calling it the calm before the storm.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Default Yeah... been there...

I admit as well to the "The rest would do him good- I don't NEED to ride him. After all, he's pretty fit already... Oh blah. I better just ride" Gripe, complain, gripe, and complain some more. But once I'm on him, don't want off, no matter what the conditions are. (Actually, really HATE getting off in the bitter cold- once the feet are frozen and I can't feel them anymore... landing back on the ground hurts!)
    Haven't done a lot of longer distance, mostly walk and trot with short spurts of canter. Haven't jumped since Nov- and it's driving us both nutty! (It's a nice break in routine for us both, as we are coming from an eventing background, and have a great x-country course where I do a lot of trot and canter sets 1.5 miles away to train at, as well as dressage and stadium jumping arenas... but don't trust the drivers when I'm riding next to the road and it's even remotely slippery out.) Tell you what will get your horse and yourself into shape- a dressage workout in 16+" snow. What a way to build muscles on both of us! Hope they will be of use to us this season. Wish I had an indoor, though.... but hope to be able to use a new neighbors when it's finished!
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I managed to get out on the young Arab mare yesterday. I've only ridden her twice since November. She's showing signs of needing some arena work. That's a bit problematic for me, but nothing that can't be solved. I hate going in circles, but if the horse needs that kind of schooling, I can knuckle under and do it.

We did our first jump out on the trail yesterday--just a little mountain-bike obstacle. She has a nice, smooth style even for her first one. Now if I can get her to stop jumping streams, it'll be good. She hates getting her feet wet and dislikes mud. We have a long way to go.

I actually have been able to trail ride quite a bit this winter, which is unusual. We haven't had as much ice this year as usual, and plenty of soft snow to ride through. Now that it's beginning to warm up just a bit where we don't have weeks of snow at a time, I kinda miss the snowy trails!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

On and off. We've had a good bit of rain and it mostly seems to happen on the days I want to/can ride....of course!

We know we'll have one more hit of real winter before it gives up. I can't WAIT for daylight saving time to return tho.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

When IS daylight savings time change this year?

We're supposed to do a 10 mile trail ride this Sunday, and of course it's forcasted to snow/rain/sleet Saturday night. So I bet we'll have to cancel to protect the trails. Bummer
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Before you go to bed on Saturday, March 7th.....move your clock AHEAD. Yay!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Yep. Despite lots of snow and cold in MN, I've been riding regularly. We do have an unheated indoor which gets used, plus have been out in the fields some. Finally a great snowshoeing yet too.

Default Hay

Alas, I hurt my shoulder, inflamed nerve - I know ouch! It's enough to get through the chores. It's getting better and hopefully in a few weeks I'll be back on. So no riding for me.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook