The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wide Tree with Narrow Twist

I think I need a new saddle.

I'm currently riding in a Wintec Pro, but it's honestly just not fitting me correctly. The twist is just too wide for me, and I think I even need to go up a size.

I'm riding two Arabians, so I need a rather wide tree. I used to have a Stuben Romanus which fit ME perfectly, but the 31 tree was WAY too narrow for both of them.

I find that the Passier's seem to fit my boys fairly nicely, but I'm looking for other suggestions as well. I'd really like a narrow twist with a deep seat if that's at all possible. AND unfortunately, I simply cannot afford to pay for a custom saddle right now. I will most likely be looking for something lower end or used.

So...any thoughts?

TIA!

It's a bit limited as your horses probably need hoop trees. Saddles that tend to run rather generous in the tree width department would be Frank Baines, Black Country, Albion, Passier and Arabian Saddle Co. (made by Lovatt and Rickets in the UK), Custom Saddlery.

Of those you have to look at the individual models for twist. Most of the Passiers are considered narrow twist (I've only ridden in a GG and that's not particularly deep seated). If you go used Passier, the older ones run narrower than current models, especially current with the freedom panels. I bought an older PS baum tree in a wide and it fit my MW horse perfectly. I've seen some used ones at great prices. Their trees are adjustable by a good saddler (be warned though as I also got an old ap one with a medium tree and the saddler struggled to get it wide enough).

Black Country: their vinici is their narrower twist but it wasn't as narrow as I like. They're hard to find used and tend to be expensive.

PS: Stubben's wide tree is a 32cm which is barely a medium in my book. They do now make what they call WB size so you might check that out.

JSYK, Passiers and Custom saddlery trees are adjustable but wouldn't try going from a narrow to a wide.

I have a Jaguar XKC dressage saddle. I am the only one who likes this saddle as all of my friends think it has too narrow of a twist. To me there is no such thing. Comes in wide too.

ROFL you've written my post :P

Have an Arab, wide tree needed, I need a narrow twist I also had a Wintec Pro hehe

While I had nothing against the Pro per se it no longer fits my horse well. I am currently borrowing (and loving) my trainers Klimke-Miller, nice wide tree with a narrow twist. Even better there seem to be several used around ranging from 500-900 dollars.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Check out the Wintec Isabel. The seat is wonderfully deep, the twist is narrow, and the saddle has the exchangeable gullet system, so you can get it to fit a super-wide back. I used to have a half-Arab with such a wide back a saddle fitter said there were only a couple of possible saddles - the Isabel with the extra-wide gullet, a County and a Passier (sorry, can't remember which models of those). Good luck!

Honestly a passier is your best option.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

You are going to need a medium or a wide tree to fit those Arabians...probably a wide. The problem is that when the webbing is put in place around the tree, there is a limit as to how narrow the twist can be made. About the best for which you might hope is that you will have a wide tree and a medium twist. In a Stubben, you will probably need at least a 33mm tree. Stubbens do not have very deep seats, and this would make it easier for you to fit the twist. If you have a decent seat, you really do not need a deep seat to your saddle.

For one of my Arabians, I have an Albion with a Warmblood tree. It is a medium twist. I also have a medium tree in some off-brand for my slab-sided Arabian. Both of these saddles have fairly flat seats.

if you can, try out a courbette bernina. The seat is quite deep and snuggly, and the twist rather narrow. The bernina I had was a 32 cm emotion tree that fit my wide morgan surprisingly well before he decided to outgrow everything . On average, 17.5" is my general seat size for a moderately deep seat, and I felt snug in a 18" bernina. I believe, they have now released a 34cm bernina as well. Its a decent saddle, very sharp looking and I liked mine quite a bit. =

I'm going to chime in about the Duett Fidellio - I had one on loan from Trumbull Mtn - a 38 cm tree and I'm only 4'10"!! So you can imagine that I really need a narrow feel to the twist. I loved how it placed my leg and how it felt - didn't feel like my legs were in 2 different countries. Saddles start just above 1500 and they charge another 200 for custom flap length. Comes with 3 different thigh blocks.

I had one on loan from Trumbull Mtn - a 38 cm tree and I'm only 4'10"!! So you can imagine that I really need a narrow feel to the twist
    Your height has nothing to do with the twist you need. My friend is 5' ish and I'm 5'7, she loves a wide twist I hate a wide twist.

Its more to do with you hip angle etc and honestly I think having kids can make a huge difference
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Euroriding Titan or Lazer...costly but adjustable trees...the Titan goes on a press and the Lazer comes with a cool tool to do it yourself...

My half arab mare goes in a Titan and my client's two half arabs go in the Lazer.

You can rent either of these saddles from www.centaurbodyworks.com to see if you like them.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    Your height has nothing to do with the twist you need. My friend is 5' ish and I'm 5'7, she loves a wide twist I hate a wide twist.

Its more to do with you hip angle etc and honestly I think having kids can make a huge difference
    Yah, I'm 5'4" and pretty darn petite and NO hips (no kids in the picture at the moment either)..having a wide twist kills me, and I already have to work on my hip flexors!!

Thanks for all the ideas - I really need to check out my tack stores for some of these so that I can sit in them I think. I've ordered saddles online before, but trying them out is rather costly if they don't work out for you - I think. I've always been so preoccupied making sure they fit my horses correctly that I rather forget about me! :-D

Oh and PS - I sat in a girl's Isabel at my barn, and the twist felt even wider to me than the PRO! Maybe I'm wierd though. I have nothing against the Wintecs - I just haven't found one that fit me.

I just got a J.C Thornhill... retails right around 1000, mine was only 700 though since I have a great source. I have a little midget arab who at the moment is a little more narrow up top from lack of muscling and winter weather being not to kind on him. So memory pad to smooth over all faults of decent fit for such a tiny tiny horse and away we went!

And I need something with a scoopier seat... ie shallow rise, I could care less about how deep it was, but most deep seats have a very high rise from that sweet spot and it put a ton of strain on my lower back.

If you like Passiers... you would probably like this as its one of the best replicas of the Passier Grand Gilbert (sp)...

http://www.thornhillusa.com/

I really just sank into it, no figeting nothing, just plopped right on in and sat in a few more then went right back to that one. It fits my guy fairly well too who is tiny but standard sized.

I'll take pictures of it when I get it back... I had to have the billets trimmed/holes added and my girth trimmed (the top of the 20" girth was running into the flaps... yeah for midget horse!)