The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those who purchased/have the courbette vision

I am looking for a vision, and of course the day I decided to start my saddle search the thread came up about the vision. Not financially prepared that day (of course!) to buy one, I missed out on the deal at Stateline. For those who did purchase the saddle, do you find the tree size to be a true fit? I have heard they run narrow. My high withered TB wears a wide Isabelle so I was thinking of getting a 32cm? I am 5'3 1/2, 120lbs, and mostly leg, and am searching for the 17 1/2" seat. Does this size for both horse and rider sound about right? I am asking because I have never sat in a courbette and am looking for a good used one as I am in the 1000$ price range, and very few places offer them on trial. I have to trial it, but those who have one, does the sizing I have chosen sound about right so I don't waste a trial? Do you love yours? I really like a saddle to keep my leg forward and secure. My old Wintec doesn't fit my TB and the flap is to short for my thigh. (of course I have had this one since I was 15) Any input you can give would be helpful!! Thanks in advance.

I am built similary and found the Courbette Vision put me in a "chair" type seat with leg too far in front. I really like the older Courbette Pandur, as well as the Albion Kontrol, most of the Kieffer jumping saddles, and Berney Bros. I know that some folks in my former barn got the courbette because it was more forward and because it came in quite a narrow tree.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I love my Vision, but am built differently from you... but I do have the 17.5" with a 31 cm tree (high-withered, but big boned OTTB), which translates rouhgly to a medium. It fits us very well, and it's very comfortable.
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Default I have a Courbette Vision

and it does my position no favors. It fits my saddlebred but it puts me in a chair seat and I have resorted in using a lollipop pad (bad I know) to adjust it so I can get a better position without fighting for it all the time. I also use it on my Thoroughbred mare who is a little high in the wither and she seems to go well in it and for some reason my position is not as affected but she is built quite a bit different than my SB. If were me, I would really try to have a couple test rides.

The Vision is great! I have a wide horse also and I am a fairly short legged rider. I have had mine for about six months and have loved riding in it. My horse has never been so comfortable in a saddle. I used to have a Wintec 2000 and it has been nothing compared to the Courbette vision. I definitely recommend it.

good luck!

I just got a stateline tack catalog in the mail last night and the deal was still on the back of the catalog. The weird thing was that the same saddle was also in the main catalog at the full price. I haven't looked to see if the deal on the back is expired and a misprint or what, but you could call and see if they still have it at the $899 price. If they don't that was a big mistake to put on the catalog again.

I suppose my worry then is that my TB is built very uphil and I use a poly pad in my Wintec to keep my legs under me just the way that it sits on his back. The pad would probably defeat the purpose of the forward saddle....

I had a wide (it was stamped as a 32 cm) sent to me from Stateline during the sale. I found it did not fit like other wides. It is definitely built more for the TB type back, whereas I have a table back. I never even sat in the saddle considering it was so narrow.

Sent it back promptly and was pleasantly surprised that I was credited pretty quickly from Stateline.
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

I finally just got mine a week ago and LOVE it!!! It's soooo comfy I actually don't get a chair seat in it... it's fantastic!!! Especially since the dressage saddle I was trying does and the black country tex eventer I tried did. I really like it. I know VTO has one or two for decent deals (considering.... that's a shame you missed out on the sale...mine went on the CC..bad, but....) and they are great about trying it out. They don't even charge your credit card just get the info And they are fantastic customer service wise!! I would check them out

I rode in a wintec pro jump and MUCH prefer the Vision!! I really liked my pro jump too but now that I've tried the vision I love it! And Fleck seems so comfy in it too. He's got tall withers and a pretty wide broad back. The 31 cm fit him, and he goes in a 31 in the stubben dressage saddle. His back needs the gusseted panels... which is maybe why it fits me well too?? I'm not sure that I would call myself long-legged, but...??? I'm about 5'4" and 120 lbs, but have a big ol' ghetto booty! I had a 17" in the wintec pro jump and ordered a 17.5" in the courbette and really like it. I even have pics of me and my horse in it if you want them. If so, PM me and I can send them to you.

Hope that helps!! I'm thinking about getting a dressage saddle from them too as I really like how it fits my pony.

Just got mine! I have a 15.2 TB and got the medium tree (30 cm) in a 17". I'm worried about it being too narrow, but I can get 4 fingers under the front over the withers, which I hear is correct. It looks narrower than my Wintec Pro Jump... but I think I'll keep this one... been too dang cold and/or rainy to ride in it yet though!! (other than a quick loop around in the snow)

I also have one. I'm 5'4" ish and 140 lbs. on a good day and use the 16.5". I have found that on the flat, it does put my leg a little forward, but works phenomenally well o/f, especially cross country because it allows me to be more forward, since I have a bad habit of getting stuck in the saddle when I shouldn't be.

I have the short flap in a medium (spring) tree, and it was a little on the narrow side, but sprung out some after a few rides. My only complaint with it is that it's a little too springy now, and doesn't go back to narrower anymore.

As of now, I would never want another saddle. Except maybe a Stubben with Biomex, thanks to a few, um, stubborn horses in my past.

I have a pandur and I will swear by it. I have sat in a vision before and was not a fan

I had one and was not a fan. It was heavy and really pinched the TB that I rode. I had a medium tree. After returning to a "regular type jumping saddle," I realized it felt like a "jousting saddle!" It really did not suit my high withered TB at all, and put my legs too forward on the flat. It was okay over bigger xc fences though. I am looking for a new saddle, and this would not be a choice.