The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse with NO withers - what Saddle is best

I brought home my new MFT Sunday. (pictures and video to come tomorrow)

My Billy Cook fits her fine; however, she has no withers and I have not reclaimed my balance yet, therefore the saddle slips off to the side.

Can someone Help me with balance exercises or a saddle that might work for her till we've managed to get some more weight off her and her wither's come back.

Please, anything would be welcome!

Sidenote ...

Also, while in my initial pictures she was a 7 or 8 on the body scale, I was very pleased to see she had lost a bit of weight last month and is now only a 6. The 'valley' her topline had back in October is no longer and the fat deposits between the brisket and elbow have disappeared.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

I use this: http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-6331

I got three liners out of it. It says you can use it alone, but I prefer it under a thin dressage pad, or for western, perhaps a navajo blanket if the saddle fits okay as-is.

And just warning you now, some horses just plain old don't have withers, no matter what weight they're at. My mare used to be COMPLETELY mutton withered when she was obese (before I bought her), and now she's got.. about 1 inch of withers.

I never go without my non-slip liners, and it works fine.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

My horse is mutton withered also- well, actually, he seems to be popping a bit of a wither at age 8! Anyway, I found the slipping was greatly reduced by a really well fitting saddle, but I ride in a dressage saddle, not western.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    My horse is mutton withered also- well, actually, he seems to be popping a bit of a wither at age 8! Anyway, I found the slipping was greatly reduced by a really well fitting saddle, but I ride in a dressage saddle, not western.
    If your horse is really, super-duper, crazy extreme, round and broad, even a well-fitting saddle won't fix the slippage completely. I've even met professional saddlers that have agreed on that.

Thanks guys for the tips! I'll look into the no slip linear sublimequine mentioned.

Trak, some of your sites won't work here at work, so I'll have to log on at home to check them out.

Thanks again.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

Yep, i'm dealing with this too.

I've been using my breastplate and it's helping.

May need to check out the no-slip things.

My horse has practically no wither and I lean left really bad. So you can just imagine what we look like.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    If your horse is really, super-duper, crazy extreme, round and broad, even a well-fitting saddle won't fix the slippage completely. I've even met professional saddlers that have agreed on that.
    My horse is a super duper crazy extreme. I certainly wouldn't say that a well fitting saddle FIXED the issue, I will say that a very well fitting saddle made a huge improvement

The old saddle just wouldn't stay put at all. The new one does as long as my balance is there.

I certainly wouldn't try mounting from the ground (although my trainer does, but I don't think he even uses the stirrup, I think he's got a zero gravity device hidden in his chaps or something).

If she has low-set withers, they're not going to "appear" even if she does lose weight. She will still need a saddle tree with a wide gullet. But how wide and what tree will depend on if her back is flat or it dips (front to back). I don't know much about gaited horses, but you might want to consult with people who do. The MFTs I've been around were all pretty compact and you don't want the skirt interfering with her shoulders.

As far as your balance, do core strengthening exercises (upper abs especially) and take lessons. You need both the muscles to balance and eyes on the ground to tell you when you're doing it right.

My horse is a super duper crazy extreme. I certainly wouldn't say that a well fitting saddle FIXED the issue, I will say that a very well fitting saddle made a huge improvement

The old saddle just wouldn't stay put at all. The new one does as long as my balance is there.

I certainly wouldn't try mounting from the ground (although my trainer does, but I don't think he even uses the stirrup, I think he's got a zero gravity device hidden in his chaps or something).
    True, if the saddle fits it does reduce slippage, but I've never seen it eliminated entirely on the crazy-no-wither-backs.

I do love the no-slip liners, though. I can actually mount from the ground using them if I absolutely need to (ie, out on trail and have to get off for some reason), and the saddle stays put.

My horse doesn't tolerate the no-slip pads at all. My one experiment with one of those was the only time he's ever pinned his ears at me while being tacked up . He's just weird.

Want to compare crazy no-wither backs?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/PICT0030.jpg

This is 1 1/2 years ago, though- I do think he's developed more wither since then, as when he puts his head down to graze it almost looks like there's a bump there (I was warned that he might, being half-draft and late to mature).

My horse doesn't tolerate the no-slip pads at all. My one experiment with one of those was the only time he's ever pinned his ears at me while being tacked up . He's just weird.

Want to compare crazy no-wither backs?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/PICT0030.jpg

This is 1 1/2 years ago, though- I do think he's developed more wither since then, as when he puts his head down to graze it almost looks like there's a bump there (I was warned that he might, being half-draft and late to mature).
    Ah, that would be tricky, I have heard of a few horses not liking the feeling of no-slip pads. My mare doesn't mind it, but really cringes if the saddle slips side to side, so it worked out well for us!

I think your guy may have my mare beat in the 'who has the least withers' department! What size tree is he in?

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/2...tripes1jv5.jpg
    There's my mare.. and her new clip job! Just took those pics Sunday. She's actually got the most withers now that she's ever had, due to a shoulder injury that made her lose all the nice muscling on her topline. We're working on getting it back, though!

I also have an extremely crazy mutton withered horse!! It is a constant struggle to keep the saddle from slipping forward onto his withers.

Here is my witherless boy:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8...D550/ry%3D400/

Here is my entry:

http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/Nov...11_14_Bareback

I had my saddle tweaked to fit my guy better. And it does fit him well. I have it checked every 3 months or so. But I'm so left sided that the saddle slips just a little to the left as he's pretty flat in the wither area. I tried a Mattes pad with shims. Nope. Since his saddle fits him well already, he got pissy about the new pad.

Might try the no slip. Mine just slips to the left a little bit and I know I'm a big part of that problem! So working on me, is probably the best bet. But I have been using my breastplate and that helps a little to keep it more stable and centered.

Ooh, racing stripes!

He has a custom fitted Schleese, very very wide. His old saddle, the rolling one, was a Duett Largo 39 cm. The gullet was OK, but the panels didn't fit him well. He would need a draft gullet in a western, a FQH bar would just perch on his back.

I realized I do not have ANY recent photos of him untacked! Gonna have to rectify that! Wait, found one... you can see that he has a little bump there now

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...sLesson003.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    I also have an extremely crazy mutton withered horse!! It is a constant struggle to keep the saddle from slipping forward onto his withers.

Here is my witherless boy:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8...D550/ry%3D400/
    OMG, how cute is he! What breed is he?

OMG, how cute is he! What breed is he?

Thanks Ambrey!! Whiskey is a breeding stock paint. Here is a whole picture of him.....this one also shows how little withers that he has.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D550/ry%3D400/

I ride western......does anyone have any suggestions to keep a western saddle in place? Do they make those sticky pads for western too?

I think that's what the OP was asking.

I have heard that these are fabulous pads for keeping a saddle from slipping, and not as irritating for horses that won't tolerate anything that pulls the hair:

http://www.horsingaroundllc.com/saddle/index.htm

but I've never tried it so can't say one way or the other.

So many cute mutton withered horses.

Ambrey; It's a shame the Duett didn't work, they seem to be lovely saddles. Glad ya found something that did fit though, fitting these guys is such a NIGHTMARE when it comes to english saddles.

My mare goes in a Thorowgood Griffin AP, their "cob" or "broadback" line. The tree's an XW, and it fits her really nicely. In any other brand, she needs an XXW, at least.

And yes, you can find western pads with the no-slip matieral. I want to say horse.com has them. You can also use the liner I linked to under a western pad, altough you probably wouldn't get 3 liners out of the one "pack" like I do, because mine are cut to fit under little AP or Dressage pads.

This is mine in a Thorowgood griffin pony saddle, XW. I love this picture, the saddle looks so tiny

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...nne/200710.jpg

It was the only saddle I could get to fit him so my kids could ride him.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...200710-2-1.jpg