The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Corn Oil....

I have my horse on a high fat feed from Buckeye, he also gets flax, glucosamine and a hoof suppliment mixed in. So he doesnt sift through and leave the flax, I decided to add about 2 cups of corn oil to his meal and mix it together so he couldnt "sift".

He is a lean horse, so any extra calories are a bonus. Does anyone use corn oil for weight gain/maintenance?? I could always just mix with water if corn oil wont really help with a weight gain...dont want to just toss out money.

Default oil is fat = calories

Definitely the oil will add calories. Watch to see that the horse eats the oil okay. If he/she does not then try cocosoya oil which they like the taste of better.
    It won't hlpe with weight gain if you put the horse off eating.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I use oil, but not corn oil. Corn oil is high in omega 6s. I feed cocosoya, which is very palatable and has a good amount of omega 3.

Two cups per feeding is A LOT of oil. How often is he fed? I've always been told not to exceed two cups of oil per day.

He only gets the oil in the evening with the suppliments, he is just on the buckeye in the morning He loves the taste of the corn oil, and gets him to eat up all the flax.

What is the difference between Omega 3 an 6?

My hard keeper OTTB gelding has been on corn oil for years. It does help him keep the weight on, and his coat looks awesome on it. He has no problems eating it, and since he absolutely cannot handle sweet feed of any sorts, it's great for mixing in meds if needed and supplements. He is a hot horse naturally, and the corn oil doesn't seem to make him hotter in my opinion. I usually give him 1 cup AM + PM.

When he broke his sesamoid and we were at the surgery consult/shockwave, the surgeon and I were discussing his feed regimen for rehab and when I mentioned corn oil he said that you cannot feed too much, and to feed as much as the horse would eat, and that it's a great way to add fat to the diet.

I've also heard it can help when giving Bute because it coats the stomach, don't know how true that is, but it seems logical.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    He only gets the oil in the evening with the suppliments, he is just on the buckeye in the morning He loves the taste of the corn oil, and gets him to eat up all the flax.

What is the difference between Omega 3 an 6?
    Omega 6s are the precursor for arachnadonic acid which becomes PG2E and part of the inflammatory pathway.
    Omega 3s do not result in an increase in Arachnadonic acid and PG2E. Omega 3s are used in membranes and are considered anti-inflammatory (mildly so).

Yours
    MW

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    Omega 6s are the precursor for arachnadonic acid which becomes PG2E and part of the inflammatory pathway.
    Omega 3s do not result in an increase in Arachnadonic acid and PG2E. Omega 3s are used in membranes and are considered anti-inflammatory (mildly so).

Yours
    MW

So feeding him corn oil is bad?? He has no lameness issues, but will feeding the corn oil cause inflammation???

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    So feeding him corn oil is bad?? He has no lameness issues, but will feeding the corn oil cause inflammation???
    That would be the million dollar question

No one really KNOWS.

Feeding a lot of omega 6s MAY cause an increase in inflammation.

Default Simkie has it!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    That would be the million dollar question

No one really KNOWS.

Feeding a lot of omega 6s MAY cause an increase in inflammation.
    Precisely, no one really knows, but if there is inflammation (for some other reason) the Omega 6 might exacerbate it. Or not.

Too much oil causes other problems (GI tract problems) though so don't feed more than 2 cupfuls at a time.
    MW

I've been feeding corn oil for years and my vet also suggests it, I've never had problems. It started with a OTTB 23yrs ago, he was a hard keeper and the vet I had a the time (RIP) is the one who suggested using it. He even used it on his horses, my current vet uses it also. I agree with some of the other posters, would not go over 2 cups.

A lot of the "pro inflammatory" effects of Omega-6 fatty acids are hugely overblown, in my opinion. If a horse is thriving and doing well on corn oil, by all means use it. If you're worried about the omega-6, canola oil is a good alternative.

Nothing better than fat to add calories in low volumes.
    Click here before you buy.

I feed regular vegetable oil but only about 4 onces twice a day. 2 cups sounds like a lot.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Ever since my horse was diagnosed with IBD, he has had corn oil as part of his diet. He gets about 2 cups of oil, and 2 cups of rice bran. The two mix together great and he really likes it! I usually mix it with some oats or sweet feed. He has done really well on it, he has put on at least 150lbs. and his coat and tail look amazing! He has never looked better!