The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Starting the Search - *UPDATE* We bought Inky!!

So, yes... we're thinking of beginning our search for a new horse. Rico needs a companion and DD needs a horse of her own to replace our beloved Trav, who she grew up with. But its hard. We have direction and realistic expectations, but maybe our heart isn't in to it yet, and time for looking is limited, with her away at school.

DD is pretty sure she wants another TB, and another OTTB will probably be the best chance of finding what we're looking for. We're not asking for much, just a kind quiet horse, green broke and willing, and under 16H. Something that she can take to the local hunters and I can do low level dressage work on. We're a good combination, she still wants to do hunters, and I like putting the flatwork on them.

Trav was our first baby, and the decision was so easy, one look at him and I knew he was coming to us for life. At only 2, he was mine to make, and he turned out better than we hoped for. Rico was also easy, still at the track, only 3, only 3 starts with no talent for running, and highly recommended by a knowledgable, trusted, horseman at the track who saw him every day but had no financial interest in him. Maybe he got a commission on the sale, but I doubt it. He'd hand picked 4 horses to show me that day. Rico was just a nice little horse in the barn acrosss from him that the trainer was trying to move to a non-racing home. Between the friend at the track and another great horsewoman who went with me to look at horses that day, I had all the necessary tools to pick a winner, and I did.

But this time around, it just seems harder. She's a good enough rider, and I have enough experience to re-train a young horse, as well as a good professional to work with, but we're still sort of at a loss. We know what we want, but I'm all alone this time around, and its scary. I know thare are a lot of good horses out there right now that need a good loving home, but I also have to be realistic about how much of a project I can take on at this time, so anything I consider has to be quiet and kind. For us, the priorities are always 1st tempermanet, 2nd conformation. Talent usually takes care of itself if you train slowly and correctly.

Any advice out there. Is limiting my search geographically realistic? I drove from DC to Philly to get Rico, but I had 5 horses to look at that day, and showed up with a trailer, so all the trainers were happy to give me their time to show me their horses. What's the best way to get the word out to local contacts in MD, VA, WV, and PA that there's a serious buyer out there looking for an OTTB.
    Last edited by Trevelyan96; Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: The Search. *UPDATE* We bought Inky!!!!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Have you checked out CANTER? Mid Atlantic shouldn't be too far from you, and might be a good place to start. They've got some nice looking ponees too!

I was so sorry to hear about Trav....good luck finding your next horse!
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Did you see...???

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=187097

+1 to CANTER Mid-Atlantic as well. I drool over the horses on that site all the time. I need to win the lottery.

yes, I'm looking at CANTER Mid Atlantic and CANTER PA, but I'm trying to figure out a way to optimize my time so that if I have to drive to NJ, DE, or WV, I can look at several horses at once. I'm not adverse to showing up with a trailer, or coming back home with an empty one if I don't find the right horse, as I know the trainers are very busy and I don't want to waste their time any more than my own.
    Witherun Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    yes, I'm looking at CANTER Mid Atlantic and CANTER PA, but I'm trying to figure out a way to optimize my time so that if I have to drive to NJ, DE, or WV, I can look at several horses at once. I'm not adverse to showing up with a trailer, or coming back home with an empty one if I don't find the right horse, as I know the trainers are very busy and I don't want to waste their time any more than my own.
    I don't see why you need to go that far. It sounds like you have eminently reasonable wants and needs (especially the height thing, that will REALLY open up the market), you have sufficient experience starting/restarting horses, and you're just scared to be out there by yourself. So don't leave the state. Go instead to someone in the state who can baby you through the process, possibly even letting you ride or view the horse multiple times before you buy, and you won't have to venture too far from home.

Someone like Kim Clark at Leighton Farm in Upper Marlboro, for example. So many COTH'ers have been impressed with her honest representations of horses, and it sounds like she has access not only to the horses on her own farm but also to connections on the track.
    http://www.leightonfarm.com/

Or how about Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue in Chesapeake City. They always seem to have lots of OTTB's and--here comes the impressive part--they actually RIDE the horses that they rescue and can speak to their ride-ability.
    http://www.midatlantichorserescue.or...r_adoption.htm

Funny, I just got a call from a friend that is stabled at Delaware about 3 horses they are trying to place. They probally have more, she just knows that I personally know these 3. 2 mares and one gelding. The gelding, who is about 7 maybe, is stunning, was one of the best looking horses on our backside last year, dark bay with little to no white, big with nice bone, although he may need a couple of months of down time, I think his ankles are bugging him a bit, would have to double check, One mare is a chestnut and very pretty girl who is an absolute love, the 1st thing I noticed about her was her very kind eye. The third is a smallish bay, and a complete snot. But she makes me think she just hates the whole racing thing and could be a diamond in the rough. Anyways, I just thought I would throw them out to you. Good luck in your search and soo very sorry for you lose.

Default What About This Guy - Opinions.

I found this guy, who is just a real cutie and reminds me so much of Rico, he's maybe an inch taller. In the video he looks a little short strided but that may just be the poor video quality, IDK. His head is up, but that's usually fixable once they relax, and dressage training will help him learn to stretch down.

http://www.midatlantichorserescue.or..._reddnhot.html

We'd certainly look cute doing pairs!
    Witherun Farm

I think Im in love with cobble creek from that website. There's just something about him...

Follow your gut. It may lead you to some STRAAAANGE or illogical places, but it is NEVER wrong.

Well, she's certainly not exactly what you're looking for, but it would be a good excuse for a vacation out west We do sight unseen adoptions, too, and will guarantee you will adore her personality.

Our "Peggy" is a 2 y.o. with the kindest, quietest disposition....Literally, her personality is one in a million. She would be ideal for what you are looking for... plus she's going to be a bucket of fun to put miles on. She's too cute to be standing around here doing nothing. I have saddled her (once), and in traditional Peggy style, she didn't even flinch. In fact, she loved the extra attention. We certainly don't mind having her around here, and she's so quiet she would be a good one for my husband to learn to train... but donations are sparse with the economy and she deserves ehr very own home to be spoiled rotten in.

http://www.coloradotbrescue.org/available_horses.html

Her confo. pictures is from last August. I have some newer ones but have been having a hard time getting them off my camera.

How'd I get the decorations on her? Just threw them on. Eventually I wrapped them all around her ears just trying to see if I could spook her. I couldn't.

Her "Peg Leg" name came as a foster home starved then sold her to a rank novice, who fed her straight alfalfa. She developed physitis as a weanling due to that, but was given a good bill of health for that by 2 vets (including one of the best specialty centers in the nation). She's sound, sane, and just waiting to become a riding horse. She's used to living outside.

Did I mention, she comes with her super soft velvet feeling baby-like coat?

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Follow your gut. It may lead you to some STRAAAANGE or illogical places, but it is NEVER wrong.
    This is true!!

As others said, Leighton Farms has some nice prospects.

I like perusing this site from time to time to: http://www.mapleshadefarm.net/myweb/msfsalehorses.htm

Good luck in your search. It is hard, when you lose a really special horse, to know where to start in finding the next one... but I bet another special horse will find YOU somehow.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I don't know if the following will be helpful or not...

I know the feeling. After losing my Trav in April 07, I was so afraid to even think about getting another horse. I couldn't bear the thought of investing so much emotion and building a relationship with another horse, knowing how much it hurts when you lose them.

During 07 and early 08, I had some health issues that kept me out of the saddle due to surgery and just not feeling well. When I finally started to be back to my old self last spring, I thought about whether I was ready to get another horse or not.

I had always thought I'd get an OTTB...kept checking CANTER but nothing really spoke to my heart. On a whim, I did a google search on Welsh/TB crosses; my husband and I have a fabulous Welsh pony that we ride and drive and I thought that might just be the perfect combination of personality, athletic ability, temperment, and size (I'm 5'3). Oh, and did I say I'm partial to bay roans?

Well, low and behold, the search comes up with a 4-month-old Welsh/TB bay roan colt in Georgia. And I think...okay I'm officially crazy for even thinking about buying it. But I totally fell in love with this thing from the picture! I know...arrggghhh! Of course, I had to call the breeder and next thing I knew I was trying to figure out that logistics of getting the little guy. Not to mention that my husband really did think I'd lost my mind.

Everything fell into place...we came to agreement on a price I could afford and it just turned out that my husband and a friend were running a 4-horse head-to-head trailer load of hay down to the friend's Florida farm and could pick him up on the way back. I'd never considered bringing up a baby, but all of a sudden it seemed like the perfect transition to having my own horse again.

Very long story short, Rally is the love of my life. He's a year old next month and just the sweetest thing ever. He reminds me so much of Traveler in certain ways, but doesn't replace him in my heart. He's finding his own place. Does it seem crazy to go with your gut? Of course, but sometime's that's the way to do things. Stay open minded and know that there is hope of finding another special horse.

Rally's album: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1059684218
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Have you looked at www.thoroughbredadoption.com? The TRF facility near me in VA has their horses on there. I met this guy

http://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/...lock-p122.html

at their open house and *loffed* him. He was saved off a slaughter truck. I can't remember if he's sound or not but I think he is. He is really, really cute and 15.2. I'm really impressed with the TRF facility there, their website is jamesriverhorses.org. Beautiful, beautiful place (yes, it's part of a state prison but the most gorgeous prison you ever saw ) and really nice people. I try to send a few dollars their way whenever I can.

Good luck in your search.

Default WWYD! So How Long is TOO Long

I've called on a few, but there were issues that would make them unsuitable. There is one I may go to see this weekend, but of course, I'm so freakin INCONSISTENT on the whole subject. On the one hand, I love looking at horses and I know that I will eventually HAVE to get a companion for Rico. I know that this is a good time to find a nice horse, there are a lot of them out there right now that need homes.

But there is another part of me that keeps thinking... I'll have more time, energy, and money to focus on Rico if I don't get another horse. DD is still away at school for another year, and once she graduates she'll be working full time and going to grad school, so even if she lives at home, how much time will she realistically have to build a relationship with a new horse? My property will get a break and I can get more than the 1 grass pasture established.

So how long is TOO long for Rico to wait for a companion? I've never just had one horse. At one point, I had FOUR. Should I look at this as a golden opportunity to FINALLY devote my time exclusively to Rico, and hope that the increased attention will balance out his need for horsey companionship? I don't want to take in a boarder, but I guess that's an option that would give Rico company but not require me to work with or ride. I just hate the idea of having a stranger around and opening the door to have someone else's problem dumped on my doorstep.
    Witherun Farm

How about adopting an older pasture puff type of freebie that can provide companionship?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    How about adopting an older pasture puff type of freebie that can provide companionship?
    That was actually one of my first thoughts, but DD really does want something that she can do hunters on. Maybe I can just put it off until summer.

LOL, I think the problem is, I REALLY want a pony, but DD wants something a little bigger than Rico. He's a shrimp at only 15.1.
    Witherun Farm

Ooohh, but there are ponies to be had. If DD is going off to grad school, lemme tell you, she won't have time for serious campaigning. So maybe you need a pony!
    www.specialhorses.org

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Ooohh, but there are ponies to be had. If DD is going off to grad school, lemme tell you, she won't have time for serious campaigning. So maybe you need a pony!
    YOU ARE an ENABLER!!!!!
    Witherun Farm

MOI?????

You only just figured that out??!!!!
    www.specialhorses.org

What about a lease type deal? A horse that needs some time off? Foster for a rescue? Then once DD is more settled, you can return loaner and get a keeper!