The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Angry Who wants to join the It'sNotEvenMarchAndIHateMudAlready! Clique?

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!
    Our temps soared to near 60 this weekend and so along with the snow disappearing, the %&*# mud made its premier appearance.

By Saturday evening Vern had breaded himself all along one side - he's too stiff to roll over completely, and too lazy to rise & repeat.

Got him all tidied up, said a silent prayer that Cash would stay clean....

Which, of course, went unanswered - by the 9P tuck-in Cash was muddy on both sides (nice flexy spine on that boy) and it was too damp to curry off.

Tomorrow's forecast says we may hit 65.
    So I know what I'll be facing when I get home.
    2 mudballs and too cold to hose them off.

May I have a sympathetic jingle, please
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

You absolutely have my sympathy, but I won't be joining your club. Mud is a way of life in the PNW, and considering that this winter we have been iced, snowed upon, and twice flooded, I am delighted to have just plain normal I-can-deal-with-it MUD!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

The mud is so slippery that our dog fell down! We were in hysterics, though - gelding absolutely covered, from ears to tail. Thick, dense mud on extremely hairy beast. Mare, on the other hand - not a spot - even on her white socks!
    Last edited by CallMeGrace; Feb. 9, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling

After sporting bruises on numerous parts of my body from falling on ice, I have to say that I am treating the knee deep mud with only a slight twinge of dismay. Sure, my horses are all undistinguishable and I now have bigger quads from walking with 10lbs of mud stuck to my boots! BUT, I smile when I don't have to chip out the remains from the last ice age from my water troughs and I'm not worried that someone will break a leg during turnout. Sigh - trade offs...
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

I'll join the club The 50 cms of snow we have on the ground is now melting and leaving a horrible yucky mess in my horse's paddock. It gets so bad that we had to section of the part of the paddock with electric fencing so that my horse doesn't tear up the grass. He has been a good boy so far and hasn't rolled in it but I know it is coming.

I'm in.... I am glad I have mud brown carpet in my house; I simply can't get it all off of my dogs before they come in. Here's to the Dyson vacuum cleaner.

Default ME!

Count me in!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

ME !! I had a really bright idea to remove blankets cause it would make him happy.....oh he was happy alright !!!!!

He can suffer, A sheet at least from now on!!! Seriously hes fexi enough to make it the whole way over, but he still must rinse and repeat.... and I have no Idea how he does it but he had more mud in his forlock and caked on his forehead.........

I needed to wait till it dried to curry and recover, he wouldnt wait.... it wasnt even dry and down he was again....

Thnking about just pushing him in the pond...... that should work !
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

Ugh...I'm in! Bringing in the horses yesterday was miserable...hyper horses trotting in place just splashes mud all over everyone in their paths!

Hmm...pushing them in a pond, huh? That might work!
    Proud Closet Canterer!

I'm actually seeing areas with NO ice or snow. Ground still too frozen to make mud, but my turn will come! Hopefully I'll be able to chip away at those unsightly ( and embarrassing) piles of poo this week. Nasty stuff! If not, we'll get the tractor out and "plow" 'em up. the ice is receeding almost as we speak.

I'm in, but we got rain today on top of it and still have ice and snow. So it's a combo of mud, crap, slush, ice and snow. Just lovely. Socks are no longer snow white and some of the white on their bodies are a lovely brown shade to match all of the bays and black bays.

It always gets worse before it gets better. We'll refreeze here in a couple days and be back to somewhat normal again.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

I hope to join very soon!

...just as soon as the six inch thick glacier recedes...
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

OK, I feel somewhat better & not so all alone

Hmmm..."push in pond" now there's a thought!
    Must
    Dig
    Pond.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yes, I'll join! I put my mare back in her pasture yesterday and it went up over my ankles - almost sucked my shoes off and I had to hose my shoes and bottoms of my jeans off before I could get in the car to drive home. (I actually have a pair of tall rubber boots in the tack room - you'd think I might have put those on? Nah!)

It is better than ice, though, isn't it??
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Oh, you're not alone. I left Dublin nekkid last night because it was to be 65 and I planned to bathe her. She didn't disappoint. Her tobiano self with white mane, tail and legs was bay to match the other girls in her pasture. It took me quite some time, first with cold water hose and then lots of Lucky Braids and then very warm water rinsing. The sun was out and with that, toweling and coolers, she was totally dry when I put the Wug on her tonight, which is not lined. She took care of rolling immediately, but right now it just affects her knees. We're due for rain coming in tonight and tomorrow an inch or two. The snow around here ordinarily is perfect. Not usually ice and nice snow that doesn't last long. But the winter and spring rains are too long and too often. Too much grass for my easykeeper and then the drought comes. Bah! Oh, wait, I forgot, it's perfect here!

Well, Marie, at least you WHOLE horse wasn't a funky shade of yellow like mine was
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I'll join in...I hate hate mud, but I have to remind myself at least it is not ice, which I despise beyond description. My guys have been very busy making mud angles...yuk yuk yuk

No sympathy from me....lol

We have had several month thick layer of ice around here!! I'll take mud right now..

Could you put a light sheet on to keep them clean? That's my trick.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

"Oh look at this nice new heavyweight turnout blanket Mom bought especially for me with a nice attached hood. Let's roll in it!"

Thanks, animal.

It just makes me realize why all of our paddocks have crusher dust in them....no mud!!!!!!!!It was worth the time and money to redo them all.
    mm