The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Pergolide the only/best option for Cushings pony?

Treating a 20 yo pony for Cushings. Pony has been on Chasteberry but no improvement. Is Pergolide the only other option?
    She is currently eating 2 cups of Purina Senior a day and fescue hay. She's a touch overweight but not much. She also gets Quiessence for magnesium deficiency which made a big improvement in her overall appearance.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Sent you a PM, but a PS here--Senior is good stuff, but it's still a bit high in sugars/starches. Plain soaked BP would be better, or TC Lite or Low Starch, or even their Sr. I have some other Purina ideas if that is a limiting factor. There are others here who have more diet expertise, as well.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I have always used Pergolide why screw around with things that don't work? For a pony it wouldn't be very expensive and would be cheaper than having her founder.

Also, I wouldn't feed her any grain just hay and a low quality hay at that and obviously no grass.

If you are worried about handling the pergolide because of the link to heart valve problems in humans, buy it in Smartpaks. It comes premeasured and with apple flavor. Pergolide seems to be the most effective treatment for Cushings.

I have been using the product called Heiro created by a vet in Pennsylvania. This is for an IR horse, but my friends Cushing horse is doing excellent on it and this veterinarian at the site is more then helpful when you call him. Please check it out and good luck.
    http://www.equinemedsurg.com/

There have been studies done here at MSU with a number of herbals (including chasteberry) vs Pergolide.

There's just no evidence to really support that any of the herbals do the job. I'd go with the Pergolide.

Also, I'd cut out the grain. Give a handful of beet pulp with supps, but I'd cut out the grain.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I would go with the peroglide too. I had a TB who was hard to keep weight on when healthy. He lost a ton of weight and then was diagnosed. The peroglide got him almost back to his healthy weight.

Default Change the diet, add Mg and other minerals as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Little Secret View Post
    Treating a 20 yo pony for Cushings. Pony has been on Chasteberry but no improvement. Is Pergolide the only other option?
    She is currently eating 2 cups of Purina Senior a day and fescue hay. She's a touch overweight but not much. She also gets Quiessence for magnesium deficiency which made a big improvement in her overall appearance.
    Change her diet to the low glycemic diet, add some Balance Eq and or LinPro for the minerals and see if that helps as well.
    Then when you have done all that if she still needs help, go to the pergolide.

Eventually you will have to use pergolide, horses can live a long time with it, but there are side effects.

Good Luck
    YOurs
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

1horse13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QM2 View Post
    I have always used Pergolide why screw around with things that don't work? For a pony it wouldn't be very expensive and would be cheaper than having her founder.

Also, I wouldn't feed her any grain just hay and a low quality hay at that and obviously no grass.
    ANYTHING would be cheaper than having her founder
    There are some good low sugar/starch feeds on the market and I would recommend testing her hay to find out it's amount of sugars/starches
    Pergolide works very well I have never tried anything natural or different

I had heard that if Pergolide was started it couldn't ever be stopped. Is this true? Is so, why? Thanks! Great info!
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Little Secret View Post
    I had heard that if Pergolide was started it couldn't ever be stopped. Is this true? Is so, why? Thanks! Great info!
    It can be stopped but not cold turkey, you have to drop the dose over a period of time.
    So yo ca try it and see if it helps, which it probably will.
    It has a long safe track record.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

You say you have been treating for Cushings...

Has the pony been tested? If so is the pony IR as well?

If the pony is PPID then yes treat with Pergolide. If the pony is IR then yes change the diet.

Not ALL PPID horses are IR and not all IR are PPID! My 36 year old gelding is doing very well on Equine Senior and pergolide. He was starving on other feeds that better suite an IR horse.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

yes she is cushings and IR.

You need to treat both.

I would get her on pergolide. From what I have heard from my vet and what other vets have seen it is affective treatment and can help prevent laminitis. Put her on Pergolide to treat the PPID and change her diet to treat the IR. Equine Senior is good food but it is not a low NSC feed.

There has been lots of discussion on this board about IR look them up for diet advice. The PPID treatment is Pergolide and good general care; worming, vaccines and regular vet check ups.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

fwiw, my friend had an older cushings saddlebred who was on pergolide. she changed his feed over to boss/flax and started adding essiac tea and the wet herbs daily to his feed. after a few weeks she started to lessen the dose of pergolide and eventually went without it. after six months the bloodwork showed no cushings. it worked for this particular horse, it may not for every one.