The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canine Adequan questions

I have a 3 yr. old rottie who I would like to get on Adequan. She is very, very mildly lame at times. x-rays about 9 months ago showed very mild displaysia in her hips. She has an elbow that does something wonky on flexion, but I'm not sure what it looked like on x-ray. They couldn't see any arthritis at that point.

She weighs 95 lbs. and according to her past two vets is at a perfect weight for her size. She goes for a brisk 1 hour walk 7 days per week, goes to the dog park to run once a week, and is outside for 3-5 hours per day depending on the weather.

Here is my question, both of our last two vets haven't wanted to put her on adequan. Both told me that that would be our last resort and that in a few years if she got "really bad" they would start her on adequan at that point. I was under the impression that Adequan was also a preventative and could keep her problems from progressing, but even after mentioning this to both vets I got the "wait and see" approach.

Do you all have to twist your vet's arm into giving you the Adequan?

Is it not really something that can prevent further damage (and therefore my girl is really not a candidate yet)?

She is allergic to EVERYTHING, so finding a joint supplement that she can take is next to impossible. Also, I'd like to try to minimize any damage, if possible.

Advice? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Mav226; Feb. 9, 2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling

The only thing I can think of is that canine adequan is a little expensive but that really shouldn't be a detterent for them. My equine vet also does my dogs so he just writes me a script for both the equine and canine version once a year.

My older dog is on adequan and is doing well. She doesn't have any joint issues that are consistent with her age (13) and is still sound, loves to run, play etc. I really don't know of a draw back to it except for the price.

Yes! My vet thought Adequan was just too expensive and he had not seem enough positive results to recommend it. Knowing how well my horse did on Adequan, I pressured him into writing me a scrip.

He was so impressed with the results, he began advising other clients on the benefits of Adequan for their arthritic dogs.

No no problem getting it from my horse vet or my small animal vet. BUT the one dog had rather invasive surgery on her patella. I do give it myself generally. My vet at home (Canada) gives cartrophen and says it's far superior to Adequan. Both injectable obviously.
    You could also try Dasuquin
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...264&q=dasuquin
    OR Cosequin. Both oral.

Talk to your equine vet about it.....that's who I went to, he sold me the equine version, said it's more bang for your buck....calculated how much the dog needed too. 2 injections per week for 4 weeks. He gave her the first one and then I paid the small animal vet to do the others (I'm not good with shots)

My small animal vet isn't crazy about adequan and to be honest with you, I don't think alot of small animal vets understand the benefits of adequan as preventative maintenance.

Next question, where in the US can you buy canine Adequan at a reasonable price? My best friend is a small animal vet, but her clinic is charging me $270/ 5 ml vial. I had no idea it was so $$$!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Next question, where in the US can you buy canine Adequan at a reasonable price? My best friend is a small animal vet, but her clinic is charging me $270/ 5 ml vial. I had no idea it was so $$$!
    That's robbery!

Allivet sells a pack of 2 for $94.95. Don't know if it's THE cheapest but since I order some other stuff from them it's more convenient to just get one shipment.
    http://www.allivet.com/Adequan-Canine-p/15017.htm
    Last edited by WorthTheWait95; Feb. 9, 2009 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    That's robbery!

Allivet sells a pack of 2 for $94.95. Don't know if it's THE cheapest but since I order some other stuff from them it's more convenient to just get one shipment.
    http://www.allivet.com/Adequan-Canine-p/15017.htm
    There is also a 20.00 coupon available through Hills....google Canine Adequan Coupon. Not sure if you can use it with an online company and you do have to buy 8 vials....but hell, youre almost paying that for ONE at your vet's office.

I am assuming that your veterinarian is also charging you for administering the shot. Might want to get the break down on what is included in the 294.00. When I would use the small animal vet to purchase 1.5 ccs (If I had run out of my equine stash)..they charged me 29.00 per shot. If memory serves correctly..15.00 of that was for the vet's service.

Ah, gota love the folks at COTH After the comments you all made, I went back & looked at my bill again. I have yet to receive my Adequan because it's in my friend's kitchen, but did get my bill yesterday. It is $270 for 4 vials- $67.50/ 5ml vial. Still not the best price though (nope, I am to give shots myself), so I'll look into Allivet. Thanks!!!!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    Wow! I buy it from my small animal vet for $50 for the 5 ml vial. The ancient dog (85# lab cross) gets 1 ml a week, so it lasts 5 weeks. That being said, I adopted her as an old dog from our local shelter 3 years ago and she already had bad hip dysplasia and arthritis when I got her—the Adequan alone couldn't help her at that point. After trying various painkillers we discovered Deramaxx, and between the two she's as comfortable as she's going to get!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

She is allergic to EVERYTHING, so finding a joint supplement that she can take is next to impossible. Also, I'd like to try to minimize any damage, if possible.

Advice? Suggestions?
    have you tried just giving her oral unflavored conquer gel? I don't think it has anything else in it other than HA, which is the same stuff in adequan, obviously administered by a different route, but it seems to work for my dogs.

Adequan isn't Hylaurinc Acid....that's Legend.

Adequan® Canine is polysulfated glycosaminoglycan

[quote=Mav226;386896
    Here is my question, both of our last two vets haven't wanted to put her on adequan. Both told me that that would be our last resort and that in a few years if she got "really bad" they would start her on adequan at that point. I was under the impression that Adequan was also a preventative and could keep her problems from progressing, but even after mentioning this to both vets I got the "wait and see" approach.

Do you all have to twist your vet's arm into giving you the Adequan? [/quote]

The FDA-approved labeling for Canine Adequan reads: "Indications: For control of signs associated with noninfectious degenerative and/or traumatic arthritis of canine synovial joints." It sounds like your dog meets this description, although of course that is a veterinary practice of medicine judgment.

I wonder if your vet is afraid to purchase inventory and have you decide that it's not working after all--then they are stuck with the rest of the bottle of a drug that is not exactly a fast-mover. Offer to buy the bottle outright, so that they don't have any capital tied up in inventory: maybe that will change their minds.

In the practice where I work, the economy has things very, very tight. We are only ordering what we know we are going to use.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.