The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Yikes! We've been skunked!!!

One of our horses managed to have an early morning encounter with Pepe La Pew! I think I got the remedy to destink the poor horse, but what about his waterproof turnout? Its brand new and was kind of expensive. I don't want to compromise the waterproofing. Not sure if washing it in detergent will ruin it, but oh boy, the aroma! I'm I better off to hold my nose and let the smell fade on its own? Thanks for any advice!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Our dogs, bless their little hearts, get skunked on a regular basis. They must like the smell! Anyway, it fades from them unaided in 3 or 4 days. You can get some skunk off stuff at Petsmart to try on the blanket.

We have dear horsey who chases everything that get in his field and stomps them if he catches them. Dogs, cats, chickens and pigs are on his radar. Skunks are slow and easy to catch, so he's been skunked too. He just gets the day off when that happens.

Funny, he completely ignors the foxes.

Eeeek! My parents dog used to get skunked ALL the time, I remember when I was 19 my date picked me up I explained the skunk smell of the house (the skunk got the dog while under the porch in front of the dryer vent=the ENTIRE house stunk) we chatted with the 'rents for a few minutes and happily headed on our way... he forgot something at his place so we made a quick detour I went in with him to use the washroom we walked in and his mom, dad and sister plugged their noses and stared at us ~ we had gotten used to the skunk smell and hadn't noticed it was on our clothes!!! I was MORTIFIED, this being the first time I'd met his family I left without using the washroom, with a beat red face an swore I'd NEVER return (that promise lasted a week!!!LOL)

The only thing I can suggest is Skunk-B-GONE and Borax for the blanket... check the back of the Borax box before washing it tho I'm not positive about the borax not de-waterproofing the blanket!!!
    Good Luck..there isn't much worse than the smell of fresh o'de'skunk!!!!

backing soda and peroxide?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

We had a dog get skunked this weekend--must be something in the air!
    I would wash the blanket and if worried about the waterproofing, just re-spray it.

Wash it with plain white vinegar.....that will strip the smell from anything (including cat pee off of your rugs, if you ever need to know) and it DOESN"T smell like vinegar afterwards. We just got two kittens recently, and one accidentally got locked in a bedroom for a day....she peed on a whole pile of clothes. Tossed them in the washer with some vinegar, and then the dryer, and by the time I pulled them out of the drawer to wear, they didn't smell like vinegar at all.

We also had a dog who LOVED skunks...he'd find them just to poke at them and I'm convinced he just loved the smell. Everytime he came trotting home smelling terrible, we'd stick him in the bathtub, scrub him with vinegar and then shampoo once the skunk smell was gone, and he'd be good to go. We went through a lot of vinegar with him!

Plus, it's cheap! And I have not yet found a material that it damages....it was fine on the colored wool rugs, fine on everything from jeans to a cashmere sweater in the wash, and fine on a dirty dog!

Can you bake it in the sun for a few days? Its amazing what a good sunbath will do for that. Otherwise you might need to wash and then re-waterproof it.

Amy

I second the vinegar & baking soda. They "help" fabrics and fur along to fade the scent. Creolin is the only disinfectant I know that's really safe for completely washing the scent out, with a rinse of tomato soup, remember "skunk" is oil based. But Creolin is tough to find these days.

My Golden Retriever was skunked the DAY before a 7 hour road trip to visit my brother! The car smelled like pine tar because of the Creolin on her fur, but it was way better than skunk!

dog got "Skunked" Friday night...must be the full moon! this dog is usually super smart about where NOT to put one's head! 11pm we bathed him baking soda, dish soap and hydrogen peroxide....smell GONE except for his nose, which must have gotten it square...didn't want to get peroxide tooo close to his eyes...could try with fabric? funnnnnn

Maybe it was the full moon - or the warmer temps - but man, a herd of skunks must have blasted outside our house this morning. And with the fog, it stayed around for over an hour.

I second the use of vinegar. In fact, I rinse all of our clothes with a vinegar rinse. I wash the floors with it too - well, just a splash in the bucket of water. I buy the huge sizes at costco. Works great in the horses water buckets too - gets the mineral stains out, and works on the mold in the water troughs in the summer. Just a great, all around cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiSoo View Post
    I second the vinegar & baking soda. They "help" fabrics and fur along to fade the scent. Creolin is the only disinfectant I know that's really safe for completely washing the scent out, with a rinse of tomato soup, remember "skunk" is oil based. But Creolin is tough to find these days.
    Am I thinking of the same Creolin as you? We use it to disinfect chicken things, and the bottle is covered in warnings.

Now I definitely going to stock up on some large containers of white vinegar, if for no other reason than to clean my stock tanks. It's always worth a try, eh?

I recently heard that the original formula of Windex will really take care of the skunk odor, not sure why.

I had 2 feral tom cats in traps spray the back of my pick up truck while transporting them to be castrated. One last spray from them I guess and my truck stunk for days and then I bought the extra strength Febreeze spray, hit it hard a couple times and it was fine. Hard to believe the back of the pick up being open could smell that bad for so long.

Lilykoi is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I think we should be in good shape with the warmer weather. Hopefully the blanket will recover and we can always waterproof it again. The Dawn/peroxide/baking soda solution worked great on the horse. We will try the vinegar and drying in the sunshine for the blanket.
    Its warm enough for him to move into a turnout sheet. Now I'll keep my fingers crossed he doesn't run into Pepe again!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare