The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you read the article referred to above it states that some of the test horses had worse numbers after Evitiex than before so I would not! (IMHO)
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Which was how long ago?
    He has been on 1 mg for I think 3 years now. He has never suffered any loss of appetite from the drug. He lost his top line before going on Pergolide so I would have to attribute that to PPID rather than the drug.

Perhaps he has additional fatigue do to Pergolide but at his age... it is hard to tell what is normal aging and what is disease and what is drug.

His teeth just stopped growing about a 1.5 years ago so up till then he was on pasture 24/7 and grazing. Now he has difficulty grazing and eating hay so depends 100% on his grain.

He has other issue besides PPID but not metabolic. I think when his time comes it will most likely be age related and not PPID related.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Smile Pergolide and Chasteberry

I would also be interested in knowing if they 2 can be given together? My warm blood has been on 2 mg for the past 4 years with no side effects. The pergolide has stopped the kinky, curly hair growth, but he is still growing hair 365 days a year. We live in Texas and our summers are HOT! He gets shaved every 5-6 weeks from March through Oct. The vet will not increase the mg. He is also on Tyrol-L. I'm thinking that maybe the Chasteberry will stop the constant hair growth. His hair is also coming in a light brown-he is a dark bay and prior to Cushings -his winter hair came in black. I have NO intentions in taking him off the Pergolide -just want to know if I can add Chasteberry
    Last edited by codan7; Oct. 27, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by codan7 View Post
    I would also be interested in knowing if they 2 can be given together? My warm blood has been on 2 mg for the past 4 years with no side effects. The pergolide has stopped the kinky, curly hair growth, but he is still growing hair 365 days a year. We live in Texas and our summers are HOT! He gets shaved every 5-6 weeks from March through Oct. The vet will not increase the mg.
    I would get bloodwork done and if the results show your horse needs a higher dose, either talk to your vet about getting him on the proper dosage or get another vet.

Our retired gelding is on 6 mg/day (split into two doses am & pm) and he is doing very well as far as the Cushings (he is retired due to ringbone).

We do body clip him once at the start of summer as he doesn't completely shed out and it gets over 100 degrees here in the high desert.

My 22 year old Warmblood has been on pergolide for cushings for the past 3 years with no side effects. He takes a 2 mg capsule every day. The kinky, curly hair is gone but he is growing hair 365 days a year, no matter what the season or the temperature. I just recently started giving him 1 Chasteberry capsule (from a local health food store) am and pm and 1000mg of Vitamin C am and pm. He is given the 2mg Pergolide capsule in the am. Time will tell if the Chasteberry stops the constant hair growth. It's been 3 weeks since I last shaved him (and on the Chasteberry) and so far so good. He is usually shaved every 5-6 weeks