The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

BuckBrandon Guest

Smile Critique my Palomino

Buck is a 2 1/2 Yr Old Quarter-Horse Gelding.
    What do you think of him?

http://i39.tinypic.com/10r1gfk.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/4j1821.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/33my648.jpg

No critique, but I've always had a soft spot for Palaminos. My first show horse was a Palamino. Then I had a Pal QH mare given to me when I came back from living in the UK.
    Nothing is prettier than a shiny Palamino!!!

BuckBrandon Guest

Yeah I love palominos too

Aw, he's a cutie! What do you plan to use him for? That might make a difference in conformation critiques.

I don't really like to get too into conformation critiques with the horse's owner because it can seem a little mean = ( Haha, and so many of them have little issues that end up not really mattering once they get into proper work. Attitude can make up for a LOT = )

Really though, he's very cute! I don't have a lot of quarter horse experience, but this guy just looks like a nice overall horse (not too typey, which I personally like). Also, he looks like he's gonna be a good size and build if he's only two!

He looks like he has a fine throatlatch and enough length in his poll area to be able to flex without much trouble, that'll make a lot of his training easier. He also looks to have a pleasant and kind expression. I like him = ) And a little color never hurts, haha.

BuckBrandon Guest

We're just gonna use him for a trail horse we got him for only $600 Too,They wanted $2,500 orig. but the economy is so bad now

Dang! I got my appy for $700 when the economy was good, but he was an "outlaw" haha. Silly people were trying to keep him in a stall 24/7 and try to only work him once a week... Now we're doing dressage and jumping with much success! And he's an angel on trails.

Well for $600, I'd say you've got a winner! I think he's just cute as can be, and if you're only going to use him for a trailhorse, I can't see any flaws that would keep him from being just perfect for that. Based on his head and expression, he looks like that would suit him. I bet he could do more too if you decide you wanted to compete = ) He's just an overall nice horse.

Good luck, and enjoy!

BuckBrandon Guest

We discovered 2 days ago that hes a jumper aswell, He cleared that fence showed in the pictures haha. we were really surprised, i didn't know QH's were good jumpers

I know a lot of people that have had veeery lovely QH jumpers and also a lot that have done well in dressage. Yours looks like he's a little bit less of the hugely muscled halter type, and more of an all around kind of guy. So perhaps he will be a nice all purpose horse = ) Yay!

Sixes and Sevens was a very famous QH jumper. Competed in Grand Prixs very successfully.

Nice! Well put together, nice top line and well set on neck. Legs looks good, too.
    Not a big old saddle chunk, but a saddle horse.

Nice deal as well!

I bet in the summer he will be just amazing!

He looks like the kind of 2 1/2 year old who (with good training of course) will turn into a lovely riding horse. I love his expression in the pictures -- ears up, friendly, "hey, what's up?" attitude.

Good luck, have fun!

Stuff I like:
    -Soft dark eye
    -Big hip
    -Foxy little ears
    -Good weight, neither fat nor ribby

Stuff that is less positive:
    -Loooong back.
    -Upright shoulder angle, more so then his hip
    -Posty hocks
    -Because of the long back although his neck is well defined it looks short, only the length of his head.
    -Tail set high
    -Upright pasterns

Overall this is a nice looking horse who will probably do well in any discipline, provided his owner is aware of his long back/posty hock combo and gives him plenty of belly muscle to make up for it!
    Just saw his price tag- for $600 he was a steal!
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I like him. Sure would take a look if I was a buyer and he showed up. He seems pretty well balanced. Longish pasterns, which will probably make for a smooth ride, though you might have to watch for injury. Nicely set on neck. He'll fill out, of course, so might be a good deal chunkier than he is when he grows up, but I'd certainly try some dressage/jumping/trails on him if he was mine. Have fun with him!

He is precious! I love the second pic especially. He looks like a real snuggle bug. Do you have a name for him? Have so much fun with him.

He's really pretty! Can't go wrong with a gold horse!

But, I myself would never, ever name a horse "Buck" - too much tempting fate!!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

BuckBrandon Guest

He was already named this haha we figured out why the day after we got him home, He can buck super high

oo i like him but then i like pallys i have had 7 of tehm from 12.2 to 17hhs