The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Funny Ad in Wire To Wire

I saw the following ad in Fridays' Florida's Wire To Wire magazine (a racing daily). The trainers on the board will love this one.

FOR SALE: 6yo maiden gelding "Soothing Wind." Has raced at Tampa, Calder and Mountaineer. Check out his race record. He is sound, fit and ready to race. I can no longer race him in Florida because he is a 6YO maiden.

Asking $10,000 OBO.

The bold type is my emphasis. But, what a sales pitch! I guess I never realized you couldn't run a 6yo maiden in Florida.

It used to be that way at Penn several years ago. I remember there was one horse that kept winning but then getting a bad test. It was December of her 5 year old year so I guess they didn't pre-race her with anything because she finally won and it stuck that time but they would have been out of luck otherwise. The really weird thing was they actually ran her in never win 2's twice inbetween wins and DQs then she would be back in the maiden races again. Very strange.

You better put some emphasis on the price too!!!10,000???

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    It used to be that way at Penn several years ago. I remember there was one horse that kept winning but then getting a bad test. It was December of her 5 year old year so I guess they didn't pre-race her with anything because she finally won and it stuck that time but they would have been out of luck otherwise. The really weird thing was they actually ran her in never win 2's twice inbetween wins and DQs then she would be back in the maiden races again. Very strange.
    Huh? That leaves me confused! Wonder what the Sec thought about that? Were they trying to run her fit or something?

Quote Originally Posted by RidersUP View Post
    That's what I thought in this market, but I didn't look up the race record or earnings. Maybe he's earned $100,000 on second-itis?

Could be

Couple years ago I trained a horse who never started til his 5 yo year - he was a big, big boy and they didnt start him til late. We got him running around April,and he made about $25k running 2nds and thirds running MSW for a $24k purse but did not break his maiden. Owner lived in Florida, horse needed a break after running his guts out many races in a row, so he returned home in early November for some R & R. Based on his past performances he was a solid MSW contender on turf that needed a few months off. However, he DID NEED about 4-6 months of layup time, which lowered his value to about 15k, which also took into consideration his soundness. Over the winter he would turn 6 and be ineligible to run in Florida. But he was a 6 yo maiden who was worth $15k, eyes closed. It happens.

In every state there are different rules for maidens, most owners and trainers are or should be aware of the rules that are in effect for states they race in or buy horses from (such as buying from Florida for this exact reason).
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Hey JessiP,

Out of curiosity, do you remember his bloodlines?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    The trainer probably paid to send a split out on the test & the stewards won't let you run back in a maiden race, since in all actuality the horse win & there's nothing there to dq it yet. DQ doesn't go next to the horses name on the form until officially dq'd. Your choices are to either run the next condition or don't run until the next test comes back. Once the 2nd test (split) comes back positive a 2nd time....then you are officially DQ'd & are allowed to run maiden races again. I have seen split samples come back negative...so sometimes it's worth the money. In case someone's wondering -- when a trainer pays for a 2nd test to be sent out (couple hundred & you only have a few hrs. to decide what you want to do)...& the test comes back positive again..you lose your money -- if it comes back negative you get your money back & purse money is release to you also at thet time.
    Believe me...it wasn't the trainers choice to run nw2's......

I understand all that, it was just amazing to see it happen to the same horse more than once. She won every time she was back in a maiden race as she was running well against the NW2's. I have never gotten a bad test on any horse, I can't fathom getting several on the same horse. Not sure if they were really stupid or if they were cashing bets or something along those lines. It probably wasn't a coincidence that they didn't get a bad test when it really mattered eligibility wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RidersUP View Post
    We tried to buy a maiden $5000 claimer the other day from a guy and he wanted $30,000
    . Hubby said " but I can CLAIM him for 5,000"!

BTW My husband says YOU CAN race a 6 year old maiden at Tampa , in fact you could race a 10 year old maiden.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmoves View Post
    We tried to buy a maiden $5000 claimer the other day from a guy and he wanted $30,000
    . Hubby said " but I can CLAIM him for 5,000"!

BTW My husband says YOU CAN race a 6 year old maiden at Tampa , in fact you could race a 10 year old maiden.
    I put this horse in question on the replays....he also run at Mountaineer for 5,000.....got beat a nose on the wire. Start before was MSW at MNR where he was in the lead to the quarter pole & then faded..... took a big drop from MSW to 5,000.

OO Tb who is the horse from Mountaineer and who trains it? Someone from Mountaineer was asking 30k for a horse that ran for 5k at Mnr?

There was a nice horse from here that went to Tampa and ran third at Tampa then won last week named Last Samurai. The night I added him to my "to claim" list he won for Wilson Langley and was claimed out of the race by Benny Feliciano, who immediately shipped south to Tampa for the winter. Last Samurai ran third then won at Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you remember his bloodlines?
    Sent you a PM.

[QUOTE: BTW My husband says YOU CAN race a 6 year old maiden at Tampa , in fact you could race a 10 year old maiden.[/QUOTE]

On their stall application it states as the 2nd & 3rd rules:

NO 5 yr. old maidens will be allotted stalls.

Six yr. old maidens & older with more than five starts may NOT start at the meeting.

Soothing Wind ran a lot more than 5 times, therefore he's not eligible to run there. This is at Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P View Post
    OO Tb who is the horse from Mountaineer and who trains it? Someone from Mountaineer was asking 30k for a horse that ran for 5k at Mnr?

There was a nice horse from here that went to Tampa and ran third at Tampa then won last week named Last Samurai. The night I added him to my "to claim" list he won for Wilson Langley and was claimed out of the race by Benny Feliciano, who immediately shipped south to Tampa for the winter. Last Samurai ran third then won at Tampa.
    I was referring to the horse in the OP's thread....Soothing Wind. Not sure which horse nightmoves was referring to....

Jess, how about that ATM machine--oops, I mean "maiden"--you've got in your barn now?!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

The races were cancelled on Saturday night when Miss ATM.. er, Hottie was in to run. We arrived in the paddock for the fourth race (amazed that they had run the first 2 races over an inconsistent, thawing out, icy, chunky track) to find out that they had cancelled and that the horses from the third race were returning to their barns without having run.

Poor girl, that's twice now she has been in and the races were cancelled. She sure looks like she is going to be a professional maiden but I don't mind running 2nd and 3rd, keep the condition. Darren swears that when she finally does win he will give her away.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Olas View Post
    That's what I thought in this market, but I didn't look up the race record or earnings. Maybe he's earned $100,000 on second-itis?
    Um, no. He's earned $7k in 9 starts. Moved from $5k maidens at MNR where he was doing well to TAM with a new own/tr (this is the first starter for the trainer) who optimistically bumped him to $25k where he was soundly beaten and likely made the starter's list. That was 12/23/08. Perhaps that was the only race he could get into, but probably not the best choice to get a maiden broken on one try.

Where CAN you run a 6yo maiden?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyFox View Post

Where CAN you run a 6yo maiden?
    Ohio, West Virginia, Delaware, MD to start, not sure about Ill and IND.