The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default eventing-endurance ride-eventing?

I'm still making my schedule for the spring and while looking at Fair Hill I saw the Foxcatcher Ride. As part of my renaissance movement -I've been trying to better myself so I learned how to gallop at the track, went foxhunting, etc- I thought this would be a good notch to add to my belt.

The problem is I was planning on doing Marlboro HT on April 11th, the Endurance Ride is the 18th and I was going to do Fair Hill May 2nd.. i'm eventing at BN level but is that too much too fast?

If you don't like those dates what other HTs in area II would you suggest. (Seneca is my goal in June as well)

Depends on how long the endurance ride is.

Depends on how far you have to haul to each thing (how many hours is your horse going to be stuck in a trailer and how much time will your horse have to relax after unloading).

Also, depends on how well your horse is conditioned at this time and how your riding/training schedule is in between.

If you have been conditioning your horse "a level up" (more conditioned than the levels you will be riding/competing at) so to speak, then your horse should do fine as long as it hauls well and the hauls aren't too long.

It also depends on what you are looking for in the endurance ride. Are you looking to be competitive or just finish?

If it is a personal goal to finish, you can trot and walk most of the endurance ride and as long as your horse is conditioned well enough, you can be proud of the 25 or 50 mile trek.

If you want to be competitive, I think that would be to much for a horse to do - three weekends in a row of such pounding work.

The ride is 25miles and i'd be doing it for fun and the experience. I'm in Annapolis so the haul is an hour and a half to Fair Hill, but I have a friend up there who has a barn so I often times come up early, let the horse be stabled there (he gets turned out and the whole 9 yards) and visit my family (who lives in elkton)

If i remember correctly from your other thread your guys is a greenie..

I would maybe skip the endurance ride unless he's super fit - the last thing you want to do is Fry his brain with doing so much at once. You want every experience to be a good one, and keep him wanting to do his job.

What does your trainer think?

Cheers!

I personally would love to do an endurance ride. Although I don't know if I would want to go 3 straight weekends... but I would consider it. BN isn't to strenuous and I hear a 25 miler isn't to bad.

I think a lot depends on your horses mentality. if he hauls well and likes to go out and do "things" then it could be really beneficial. But if he is a mind melter away from home then I wouldn't.

Can you get a group of people together to do the endurance ride? Then it would be like a party trail ride!

Ok, so I'm not much help at all. but let us know whatever you deciede!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    The ride is 25miles and i'd be doing it for fun and the experience. I'm in Annapolis so the haul is an hour and a half to Fair Hill, but I have a friend up there who has a barn so I often times come up early, let the horse be stabled there (he gets turned out and the whole 9 yards) and visit my family (who lives in elkton)
    If your horse is fit enough this is perfectly doable--25 miles isn't that far and BN is easy enough. I've done 25 miles for completion (not racing to win) one weekend and a HT the next without it being a problem.

As a matter of fact I think the time frame, BN, one week, 25 miler, two weeks BN is going to work in your favor. You guys get out and get your feet wet, the next week you trot 25 miles (well, you'll get to walk some, too), both of those will give your horse great confidence about getting out and finding his feet, letting the 2nd BN feel really easy.

I think endurance rides are a fabulous thing for green horses to do, and it is also excellent experience for riders. It's a great lesson in coping with changes in terrain, footing and continuing to ride forward.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterStrength View Post
    If i remember correctly from your other thread your guys is a greenie..

I would maybe skip the endurance ride unless he's super fit - the last thing you want to do is Fry his brain with doing so much at once. You want every experience to be a good one, and keep him wanting to do his job.

What does your trainer think?

Cheers!
    You don't have to use an Alter.. I don't bite!!!

I don't really consider Shorts green anymore but who really defines green? He's done a starter trial, a couple hunter shows (busy big ones), jumper shows, foxhunted, etc. I work with 2 trainers regularly and supplement that with other professionals when I feel we need it. Trainer 1 wants him going Rec. BN by the end of spring and Trainer 2 whom i've talked to about the Endurance ride thinks its a great idea for him and will probably ride in it with me.

The most important thing is I don't push or feel the need to push him. If he had gotten too tired fox hunting I would have dropped down to a slower field, at the jumper shows I enter him in the low classes and move up if he's doing well, with the Endurance ride not only do you HAVE to stop if your horse isn't doing well (vet checks) but I can stop at anytime.

thank you for your concerns and I will def. take them to heart for his sake!

Then, I would think the real question is how many miles do you hack out every week?

Do you do at least a fifteen to twenty mile hack once a week, schooling every other day in dressage and maybe hacking out one other day (not quite so far, but an hour to an hour and a half of walk, trot, canter) and one day for jumping? ... or some variation of the above?

If so your horse should be fine, if not then he might not be in sufficient condition.

ETA: that's if you want to finish the endurance ride in a reasonable but easy time. However, since you can quit at any time on the endurance ride, just going for a ten mile hack could be quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Then, I would think the real question is how many miles do you hack out every week?

Do you do at least a fifteen to twenty mile hack once a week, schooling every other day in dressage and maybe hacking out one other day (not quite so far, but an hour to an hour and a half of walk, trot, canter) and one day for jumping? ... or some variation of the above?

If so your horse should be fine, if not then he might not be in sufficient condition.
    I don't think you need to be that ramped up for a 25 mile ride--I've done a bunch of them--and have found that if the horse is fit enough to do an hours worth of forward ring work 6 days/week and if you're willing to pull if they're stressed, and if the terrain is not horribly challenging and if you're riding for miles rather than placing that is sufficient. We used to do 25 miles (50 miles total) back to back, Sat/Sun on horses fit to run Novice with no issues and A+ on recovery rates at the rides. I did find that 50 miles in one day was a whole 'nother ballgame, and did very specific LSD sets to condition for those.

There are people who do BN that only ride twice a week and there are people that ride 6 days a week but still don't really wake up their horse and work, so it seemed like sort of an unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    You don't have to use an Alter.. I don't bite!!!
    i created this name before i knew that people use "alter" when they dont want to be recognized! I should consider changing it - your not the first person to mention that to me!!

I'm sure you will do what is right for you and your guy! He sounds just wonderful.

Default Competitive Trail?

There`s a huge difference between a 25 miler and a 50. You really would want your horse to be endurance fit to try 50, whereas if you kind of jog along at 5-6 miles per hour, a 25 should be very doable.

Have you considered starting your distance career in competitive rides, like the GMHA rides? In these, you`re judged on your horse`s condition, and they`re a super learning experience.

I had a tb preliminary event stallion, Wintry Oak, and sometime in the late 90s I did the GMHA 100 with him. He actually placed 2nd, against mainly Arabs, and he became a better, steadier eventer for the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    There`s a huge difference between a 25 miler and a 50. You really would want your horse to be endurance fit to try 50, whereas if you kind of jog along at 5-6 miles per hour, a 25 should be very doable.

Have you considered starting your distance career in competitive rides, like the GMHA rides? In these, you`re judged on your horse`s condition, and they`re a super learning experience.

I had a tb preliminary event stallion, Wintry Oak, and sometime in the late 90s I did the GMHA 100 with him. He actually placed 2nd, against mainly Arabs, and he became a better, steadier eventer for the experience.
    I was about to post in regards to the difference between endurance and competetive trail riding. Endurance is more of a race with holds and checks and CTR is slower with time windows and very different rules. For example a 25 mile CTR will have a time window of 4 to 41/2 hours.

Endurance is not CTR, but both are great. People get them lumped together, not sure why.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

My friend mentioned going to this endurance ride as well with out two eventers. My main concern with the Harrymonster is ALL those horses. He is fine at shows with all the horses, but I think that's because we're doing our own thing. The few times that I've even tried trotting across a field next to another horse has been exciting to say the least.

So my question is, are these rides like hunter paces where at any moment a group of horses could go galloping by, or are they more controlled? I think it would be fun, but just worry about all the horses.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Quote Originally Posted by mythical84 View Post
    My friend mentioned going to this endurance ride as well with out two eventers. My main concern with the Harrymonster is ALL those horses. He is fine at shows with all the horses, but I think that's because we're doing our own thing. The few times that I've even tried trotting across a field next to another horse has been exciting to say the least.

So my question is, are these rides like hunter paces where at any moment a group of horses could go galloping by, or are they more controlled? I think it would be fun, but just worry about all the horses.
    Have you tried trotting with a buddy on the galloping track in the park? I’ll go with you once I move back.

You saw Sunny at the bombproofing clinic I do think there would be theatrics at first, but my hope is that the long format will result in our TBs eventually settling and having a positive experience … right??

I'm not worried about me or Harry. I'm worried about those around us!
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post

hmm that's an interesting point. I know they've had competitive trail rides in Fair Hill I just don't know the group that put them on. Time to google...

I event (albeit at a very low level) and I ride my event horse in novice endurance. he won two of them last year, and they were sandwiched between events.

Try posting for info on the endurance forum?