The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XC boot recommendations?

I'm in the market for a new pair of XC boots. What are your favorites? Why? Thanks !

Either the Nunn Finer American Style boots, or the basic Woof/Nunn Finer strappy ones.

I hate the Woof boots that look a little like a SMB. They always slide down, and I can't imagine how they could protect against anything with how thin the neoprene is.

NEW or Eskardron XC (love mine! fits every horse I have used them on)

Weatherbeeta Pro Tec Event boots with fleece.

They're the only proper XC boots I have, and they're brilliant. My dog often carries them off after a ride to lick the salt off from the sweat, and has a chew on them, and there aren't any chew marks on them. They're fabulous!

And if I'm not using them, I just use Cant-a Neoprene splint boots. They're really thick, and I haven't had any problems with his legs when he's knocked a jump when he;s been wearing them.

I want to try some sling boots, like what the cutter use, on the pony, because she has calcifications, and they look like they'll support her fetlocks and be thick for when she knocks a jump (even though she hasn't in the 4 or so years we've had her

I compete in my Woof boots up to novice, but I have NEW boots for my pony's move-up to training this season. I really like the shatter-proof tendon guards. If you have the funds, I'd definitely recommend them. Woofs truly are a good deal for your money though, mine have put up with three years of pretty tough work and can be cleaned up to look relatively new. The straps haven't started to rip yet either (I've heard this can happen with Woofs).
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

Love my Dalmars (which I've said on every thread about this). Also really like Style boots, but not sure if they are widely available any more. Boogaloos are great for the price.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Where do I find Dalmars? Who has the best price on NEW boots?

Bit of Britain will order Dalmars for you if they don't have in stock or you can order from UK http://www.equestrianhaus.co.uk/inde...10&s_men_women

Best prices on NEW boots (long wait) are here http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/..._f_horses.html

i'm looking for some new boots as well, after running intermediate in woof boots this weekend and finishing the course sans a chunk of skin on his right hind.... i test drove some N.E.W boots once, and put them on super tight with tape and they STILL slipped! I just could not get them to stay for some reason. So although I am considering them (i like the idea of the strike pad thing) I'd prefer something a little more tested at the upper levels...

We use the Nunn Finer American style boots. They have held up well from prelim thru ****.

I would like to try the air flow boots on the little **** horse. The Nunn Finer just come in one size and Tony isn't really big enough to have them fit him well. He has never had a rub from the Nunns, even though. I don't remmeber the brand name of the air flow boots right now, but we saw them in the UK and they looked really good.

We usually use Woof Boots on the younger horses.

I recently had an accident in which my horse ended up straddling the log on top of a prelim trakehner. Thankfully, everyone ended up fine. I had porter protectors/saratogas in front and woofs behind.

I won't go xc ever again without those porters...they totally protected my horses legs and were fine, while the woofs were shredded. I guess better those rather than my horses legs being beat up but stilll...

Quote Originally Posted by luvmycabanaboy View Post
    I recently had an accident in which my horse ended up straddling the log on top of a prelim trakehner. Thankfully, everyone ended up fine. I had porter protectors/saratogas in front and woofs behind.

I won't go xc ever again without those porters...they totally protected my horses legs and were fine, while the woofs were shredded. I guess better those rather than my horses legs being beat up but stilll...
    So the porters did there job? I have a friend who usually runs in them, she has had them for about a year and says they are beginning to tear up, which is one reason I was hesistant to use them. Also I know that they have to put cut to fit and then put on a certain way or they can do more harm than good... but if the protection is good.. the same thing happened with my hoop boot, it got pushed up when we fell into a pit lined in stone next to the bank out of the water, so he got a chunk taken out of his leg, then the boot slipped down around his pastern where it remained for the next 15 jumps... not very helpful.... I know it was a bit of an unusual circumstance but honestly it could have happened going up or down almost any normal bank on course....

porters have also been around awhile, and have stood the test of time right?

I love NEW boots...They are used by alot of upper level riders. I have never had a problem with any of the horse I have put them on. Some of which were running novice while others rolex...
    "Brick walls are there for a reason...to prove how badly we want things"

The air flow boots were probably the Equilibrium Tri-Zones. They are really nice boots.

next to the Devon H.S. & what was the Radnor Hunt 3 Day

N.E.W
    "Lucky you to have ridden Kildonan Tug- Luckier you to have loved him"
    "Carrying you to prelim was the jewel in Tug's crown."
    "Great horses find you. You don't find them."

Eskadron XC

Quote Originally Posted by NZEVNTR View Post
    Eskadron XC
    I was just going to ask about those...i know eskadrons a great boots so i was interested in them, but the cross country boots don't seem to be terribly widely used and i was having trouble finding reviews.. so no slipping etc?

I found the eskadron xc boots too large for either the 16.2 hand TB or the muttley pony, although I thought they seemed otherwise like a good boot, although fairly heavy

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Also really like Style boots, but not sure if they are widely available any more.
    Love the Style boots. They fit my horses much better than the NunnFiner version and they dry after XC in a stitch, but can't find them around anymore. I know they are available in the UK...Guess I'll just have to go to Badminton this year and do some shopping...LOL

Also--I love love love Porter leg protectors + Saratoga wraps. So old school eventing! But don't try if you are not confident in your wrapping skills!

Quote Originally Posted by mkmallory View Post
    .... i test drove some N.E.W boots once, and put them on super tight with tape and they STILL slipped! I just could not get them to stay for some reason. So although I am considering them (i like the idea of the strike pad thing) I'd prefer something a little more tested at the upper levels...
    Yes, I have the same problem. The hind boots slip on my horse.