The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default H/J barns in California

I currently live in Canada but once I complete my nursing degree I am looking at moving down to California to work. I am looking at working in the Palo Alto or San Francisco area right now, as that is where I have family located. One of the big factors in if I actually make the move or not is if I can find quality boarding for my gelding as I will not move without him. I am looking to find out about the stables in the area. I would be looking for outdoor board, preferably with hacking. Indoor arena would be nice but not necessary, although would like somewhere with a lit outdoor arena and the option to bring in a dressage coach as well, if one is not available as I do dressage as well as hunters. It would be nice to have a place with flexible hours as well because I may have a bit of a crazy schedule to start with. Any suggestions would be fabulous.

It will be really tough finding good turnout and hacking near the city, but further out there are some places. Just be ready to pay a premium, California is not cheap. I live closer to Sacramento, but I do know that Duncan McFarlane is in the Bay area... he's a jumper trainer http://www.gryandduncan.com/

Check out bayequest.com for lots of resources.

I know some great places north of SF, like Sacramento area, but not around there....

I think you might find it difficult in the Bay Area to find what you are looking for. Like the other posters suggested - maybe you would prefer the Sacramento area?

Just to clarify, are you looking to have your gelding in full training? Or just want to board with an option to take the occasional h/j or dressage lesson? Do you plan to show? Do you have your own trailer so you could be at a h/j barn and haul to a (nearby) dressage place? And you want your horse outside 24/7 or stalled at night?

Sorry for all the questions but it is hard to recommend any particular place without knowing exactly what you are looking for

www.bayequest.com should be helpful. You will have a hard time finding pasture board in that area, but no problem finding dressage or hunter trainers... maybe Bottomly Farms, but it would be quite a drive in traffic...

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I think you might find it difficult in the Bay Area to find what you are looking for. Like the other posters suggested - maybe you would prefer the Sacramento area?

Just to clarify, are you looking to have your gelding in full training? Or just want to board with an option to take the occasional h/j or dressage lesson? Do you plan to show? Do you have your own trailer so you could be at a h/j barn and haul to a (nearby) dressage place? And you want your horse outside 24/7 or stalled at night?
    I am looking for a place where my gelding and I can take occasional lessons. I don't have my trailer yet but if moving would be getting my own as I would like to occasionally get out and show for fun. I am looking at having him out 24/7 as that is what he is used to now. How far is Sacramento from the Bay Area? I am not too picky about where I actually live/work, the only area I really know is the bay area. At this point I am more concerned about a good place for my horse as I don't think I could move so far away and leave him behind.

It depends on where you are in the Bay Area..from 1.5 to 3+ hrs.

The Palo Alto area is probably the most expensive area in the Bay Area for horses. I would suggest looking either in the East Bay (approximately an hour east of Palo Alto) or in the Half Moon Bay / Montara / La Honda area (approximately 30 minutes west of Palo Alto).

thanks everyone for your replies. I will check out bayquest.com. At this point I am not too picky about where I actually end up living as long as I can get a job in the area and can have my horse close by. I am going to look more into Sacramento area and see what they have out there. I am used to having my horse here at home with me so having him at a boarding stable is a big thing for me. It will be quite the change for both of us. I think he will enjoy the California weather though, he is a big suck in the winter.

You might also try Gilroy and Morgan Hill... althought it's less expensive to live and keep horses in the Sacramento Area.

Midnight, I am guessing that if you are a nurse you will be able to write your ticket as to where you want to work. Sacto area is quite a bit less expensive than the Bay Area. If you lived more on the West side of Sac, a drive into San Fran would only be about 1 to 1.5 hours when there is no traffic (with traffic, could take hours!). I also think there are lots of board situations you could find right now that might suit. Keep checking bayequest.com and then feel free to ask more questions. You can always PM me if you want.

If you really want the Bay Area to live and work (and specifically San Fran or Palo Alto), I think you may find limited choices, but maybe not. I would certainly think it would be more expensive there. East Bay, the farther out you go, probably the less expensive.

Default South Bay

You may want to look more in the South Bay (if you really want to stay in the Bay Area). As many other posters said, finding something within reasonable driving distance to San Francisco, that has the type of boarding you want, will be difficult.

The South Bay (San Jose, etc) will be closer to what you want, but still considered the "Bay Area". There are a number of hospitals and private care facilities in the area and I know (at least 2 years ago), they were begging for nurses... Driving up to SF is totally doable (only about 45-60 min) - I go up there to visit friends, have dinner, etc without much trouble.

I board in Milpitas (about 15 min from downtown San Jose) and our barn has pretty much everything you want: outdoor & indoor arenas, access to trails, pasture board options, and h/j and dressage lessons on-site. We have a full-time dressage instructor, another part-time instructor that does dressage & jumping, and an A-circuit h/j trainer that comes once a month. It's a large boarding barn (200 horses+) so there is pretty much everything - both in terms of boarding options and in terms of riding disciplines. There are other barns more south (Morgan Hill, San Martin, Gilroy) that have similar options (but traffic is worse!).

I grew up near Palo Alto and rode on the Peninsula for decades. However it is WAY more expensive there AND there isn't much pasture/turn out (pretty much only stalls at large full-training facilities).

If you want more information about the South Bay, PM me. And, as others said, look on BAEN.