The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by krfarms View Post
    I have used Skidmores for about 25 years. I have had the same bridles, and most of my leather goods. It is a FANTASTIC cleaner, conditioner. I buy it and give it to all my friends for X-mass. They love it. The only problem is you have to order it direct. But the people are great. I always get comments that my saddles, etc look better than anyones in the barn and I probably spend the least amount of time cleaning of anyone in the barn--"A" hunter barn too!!!
    Oh man, I *love* Skidmore's. A friend had me try it a few years ago, and omg!!! I just sold an unopened tub of Passier Lederbalsam for $4 today at a tack sale so I wouldn't feel like I had to use it before I bought more Skidmore's (which, let's face it, would take like a decade at least). Not that Passier's Lederbalsam isn't great. It's just not as good as the Skidmore's :P Anyway, sorry for the thread necro, was just searching comparisons of the two brands to see what people were saying.

EDIT: I don't think I'd use it as a cleaner though. Still pretty fond of Passier's Saddle soap for cleaning.

I really like the Voltaire balsam I got with my saddle--it's really thick (thicker than my second fav, Passier), and seems to condition really well. As mentioned, I also like Passier Lederbalsam, in addition to Effax balsam and Akene conditioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I love the Effax Lederbalsam, and the Ledercombi. I also recently discovered Moss leather cleaner and conditioner and use it as a daily wipe-down for my bridles and saddles. The vanilla bean one smells amazing.

For more intensive stuff, the Effax or even Ko-Cho-Line is what I use. The Ko-Cho-Line conditions and softens new tack beautifully. It makes even my crappy cheap saddle I bought for my baby semi-decent-feeling.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I recently got the Equipe Soft Grease (along with the Soft Clean cleanser) and I like it. It smells amazing (vanilla) and it seems to condition nicely without being overly sticky or heavy like the Passier Lederbalsam. I do like the Lederbalsam but only occasionally - I feel like I can use the Equipe more often as part of my regular cleaning routine.

FYI I also really like the Equipe Soft Clean cleanser - it seems to dissolve the gunk and grime easily, and doesn't end up in a big lather that needs to be wiped off or rinsed.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Passier - I LOVE how it smells. And how it makes my hands feel after I use it (I apply it with my fingers!).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    I really like the Voltaire balsam I got with my saddle--it's really thick (thicker than my second fav, Passier), and seems to condition really well. As mentioned, I also like Passier Lederbalsam, in addition to Effax balsam and Akene conditioner.
    I am really happy with the Voltaire balsam as well. It is thick, but soaks in well and doesn't leave my saddle tacky or greasy.

Another Vote for Passier Lederbalsam! I got a tin of it off of Smart Pak for $17.00 over two years ago. I've hardly made a dent in it and I condition my saddle on a normal basis. A little goes a long way and it lasts for ever. Also makes your leather a little grippy which is nice

2 members found this post helpful.

What does smartpak sell that ISN'T sticky? I love hydrophane, but I am looking for something to use every day.

Another vote for Passier Lederbalsam! My tack looks great
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunterrider View Post
    I am really happy with the Voltaire balsam as well. It is thick, but soaks in well and doesn't leave my saddle tacky or greasy.
    Yes! I agree, I do love how it doesn't leave it sticky afterwards like other balsam-type conditioners.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
    I'll vote for the Passier Lederbalsam! It lasts close to forever too since you need very little to make your leather very supple. I just leave my sponge in the container and never rub new balsam onto it.
    This is what I use on my (expensive) tack.
    Sandy in Fla.

I too will give my vote to the Passier Lederbalsam, I've had my tin forever and it still works fantastic (my non-horsey friend needed to break in some shoes fast and used it and loved it too!)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I got a tube of the Oakwood leather conditioner for free with a recent tack purchase and really like it. I just cleaned and conditioned several sets of reins and they're hanging on a hanger in the closet by the back door. Every time I open the closet I find my self closing my eyes and inhaling deeply. Smells heavenly.

I had been using Leather Therapy products and while I will continue to use the wash, which I like better than any other cleaning product I've ever used, I am going to switch to Oakwood for conditioning.

When I lived in a very dry climate, I couldn't live without my neatsfoot oil, but now that I live in the very humid southeast, neatsfoot is worse than useless unless you keep your tack inside a pest-proof, climate-controlled tack room.

I'm telling you, if you love the Passier Lederbalsam, you need to give Skidmore's a try. I was a fan for years, and I still think it's really good stuff. Skidmore's is just THAT MUCH BETTER

I'm an oil fan (with Walsh Saddle Oil being my current favorite since I'd still like to darken my saddle), along with a slick of Belvior Glycerine (love this) to finish. Oil needs to be used very infrequently, which works for me. For tougher cleaning that needs more than a damp sponge, I like Kirk's Castile. This system gives beautiful long-lasting leather!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    For oil, no product compares to the Effax Leddersoft. It's like the difference between $5 olive oil and $50 olive oil. So, fine, when you put it on your finger it penetrates right in without making your fingers oily.
    x2! My favorite.

Wegmans had all kinds of delicious scented Castile soap (lavender, lemon, etc.) I bought a bar and can't wait to try it.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    I keep many products on hand and rotate them depending on the current condition of the particular piece of tack, but I LOVE both the Akene and the Effax ledderbalsam. I don't use them, however, as much as I use the Leather Therapy, which I find penetrates deeper and is less of a "buff" than the other two.

For oil, no product compares to the Effax Leddersoft. It's like the difference between $5 olive oil and $50 olive oil. So, fine, when you put it on your finger it penetrates right in without making your fingers oily.
    I love Effax products but the ledger soft contains whale oil which is why I won't use it