The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default What is your favorite leather conditioner?

The Antares saddle rep provided me with a bottle of oil, but said that I might as well just buy a good higher-end leather conditioner cream from a tack shop because it was just as good as what they sell under their label. Problem is I've only used Castile, glycerine, Murphy's, and oil on my tack, and I'm not sure that any of those is what he's talking about! I was looking around at the Passier Lederbalsam and have heard really good things about it, but before I order it, what is your favorite leather conditioning product, and what do you like about it?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I'll vote for the Passier Lederbalsam! It lasts close to forever too since you need very little to make your leather very supple. I just leave my sponge in the container and never rub new balsam onto it.

2 members found this post helpful.

My favorite conditioner is Akene, I like to work it in with my fingers. It does an excellent job but without excessive greasiness. I have Effax Lederbalsam and while its a very good conditioner its almost like vaseline, I hate that greasy feel. I've heard good reviews about Oakwood conditioner but have not tried it yet.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use the Effax Lederbalsam. I use it very sparingly as it can be greasy if you overuse it. I've used it in limited doses, for years, and loved the results.

~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
    I'll vote for the Passier Lederbalsam! It lasts close to forever too since you need very little to make your leather very supple. I just leave my sponge in the container and never rub new balsam onto it.
    I second Passier! I have been using it for years.

I second the motion for Akene....it is wondeful.

And I'll second the vote for Effax, I love that stuff...and it smells nice
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Passier Lederbalsam: wonderful for the leather that needs serious help
    for routine stuff I use virgin olive oil: no greasy after effects, helps stop mold, does not rot stitching....

i have akene and i love it cause its not greasy!

I love the Leather Therapy stuff. It can be a little greasy on your hands, but once it is on the leather it is not too bad...as long as you dont use too much. Its pretty cheap too. Thats what Hadfields recomends for their strapwork I believe.

Hydrophane. Use sparingly.

I have used Skidmores for about 25 years. I have had the same bridles, and most of my leather goods. It is a FANTASTIC cleaner, conditioner. I buy it and give it to all my friends for X-mass. They love it. The only problem is you have to order it direct. But the people are great. I always get comments that my saddles, etc look better than anyones in the barn and I probably spend the least amount of time cleaning of anyone in the barn--"A" hunter barn too!!!

I have used a number of products on our two Antares saddles including different Lederbalsms, Leather CPR and Hydrophane Leather Dressing.

This Antares Leather Creme is one of my favorites http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...d-_-NA-_-15845. Makes the leather soft and slightly grippy/tacky but not greasy or oily.

My other favorite one (GOOD one if you want to darken/enrich the color) is only sold here http://french-used-saddles.com/index...c1c263d1c8b488. This was the only stuff I tired that made the color on my lighter colored calfskin Antares look deeper, richer.

Also the Antares Glycerin soap in the white tub is hands down the best glycerin I have found.
    Horsezee

I have been wanting to try the Passier Lederbalsam, so I'm glad to hear that it works well
    Confessions of a Cool Kid! <--- check out my blog (:
    My Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    The Antares saddle rep provided me with a bottle of oil, but said that I might as well just buy a good higher-end leather conditioner cream from a tack shop because it was just as good as what they sell under their label. Problem is I've only used Castile, glycerine, Murphy's, and oil on my tack, and I'm not sure that any of those is what he's talking about! I was looking around at the Passier Lederbalsam and have heard really good things about it, but before I order it, what is your favorite leather conditioning product, and what do you like about it?
    i personally have both a 100% pure neatsfoot oil, and the passier lederbalsam.

i use the passier weekly, but every two months or so (i live in a dry climate) i like to oil with the 100% pure neatsfoot now that i've run out of my original antares oil. i find it's a bit better for deep hydrating although the passier is great for maintenance.

my system is the same as yours: 1. castille, 2. sponge clean, 3. let dry, 4. apply neatsfoot 4. polish with glycerine saddle soap applied in a circular motion using a very squeezed out dampened sponge.

on a week when i'm doing the passier i just wipe clean with a damp cloth first and then apply the passier with a sponge.

I love passier lederbalsam. Uh, it smells so good! I mean...it works so well. Sometimes I catch myself just sitting there with the can under my nose smelling it. Usually my husband takes it away from me right after that. lol.
    Moving at the Speed of Haflinger

Anything with "Leder" in the name is going to be roughly the same stuff. Effax Lederbalsam, Passier Lederbalsam, and that Leather New stuff are all pretty close to each other. I use Passier Lederbalsam because it's the cheapest in my area. I use it on my calfskin Amerigo, and the saddle has never looked better. I also give the saddle a light coat of hydrophane when it gets a little dry (which is rare, maybe twice a year). Between the hydrophane and the lederbalsam, the saddle becomes very water resistant and I can just wipe it clean after every ride with a damp cloth.

for cleaning basic saddle soap; am a fan of the Leder stuff, love hydrophane products and used to love the Mad Cow but it's hard to find

LOVE the Passier Lederbalsam (sp?)!! I've been using it on my semi-new saddle (got it the middle of January) and it's slowly darkening and softening it up nicely. Not only that, but it smells WONDERFUL and makes your hands soft

Ok, this may sound a little stupid but I have some Effax Lederbalsam and I was wondering if i could use it on my boots. Relating to another thread on here about Vogel not making their leather conditioner anymore, I've been looking for an alternative. I decided to post my question here because the Effax stuff was written about in here. I know you aren't supposed to use saddle soap on boots but is the Effax stuff okay on vogel tall boots?