The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pre-foaling vaccine question

So, I will be ordering some of my spring vaccines this year and my vet will be doing some on my broodmare (rabies, coggins, teeth, "prego" check).

My questions is...are there any that are not normally given to pregnant mares?
    Normally I give myself the E/W/Tet/Rhino/Flu, PHF & WNV...but normally this is given to non pregnant mares & my gelding.

Do you usually give rhino at the ~30 day mark? What about PHF & WNV...are these safe to give?

Thanks in advance! I just don't want to order the wrong ones!

PHF & WNV vaccines can be a little scary in regard to pregnant mares for me... I give the PHF with the other normal vaccines... wait a couple weeks then give the WNV "ALONE" with no other vaccines.

Cindy

PS... I would NEVER mess with teeth on a pregnant mare... NEVER. Do teeth before or after foaling.
    Watching Hawk Arabians
    Home of ZEGAS
    *Ganges x Zabrynka
    http://www.watchinghawkarabians.com

I was doing most myself to space them out anyway.

Why no teeth? This mare has never been a problem to float. Now I can't remember if I had her floated prior to foaling the last two. Might have to go check her records! Of course she was done last spring before breeding so wouldn't hurt to wait anyway. Just wondering what your reason for that was since I've never heard of not doing it.

I don't do my broodmare's teeth in the first or last trimester because of the sedation needed to do it. My prefoaling shots include WNV; PHF isn't a problem in this area so it isn't given.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Charlie Dawg Guest

Make sure all vaccines are killed virus vaccines, so no intranasal flu or intrasal strangles. I usually do EWT, PHF and a flu (injectable) at 300 days gestation. Then if WNV 10-14 days later. Rabies should be given before or after breeding but not to a pregnant mare. The vaccine coverage lasts 12+ months, so if you vaccinate just before breeding, the mares are still covered by the time they foal out. Then they can be vaccinated again in the time between foaling and breeding back.

I always include rabies into my pre-foaling vaccines. I do EWT, Flu, rabies, and WN.

Pnuemabort or Prodigy should be on the list for pre-foaling vaccinations at 5, 7 & 9 months.
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

I do EWT, Flu, rabies, Bot and WNV but I spread them out when possible. The mare I gave prefoaling shots last week had everything but WNV, I will give that to her later this week. I try to give pre-foaling shots over a 2 week period.

Pneumabort K is given 5, 7 and 9mo

Last year I did: EWT, WNV, pneumabort, rabies, and strangles IM. I don't do flu for mine since they never leave my farm, and botulism isn't a concern because I don't feed wet roundbales. I spaced each shot out about 1 week.

I am assuming by "pre-foaling vaccines" you mean the vaccines given at about day 300 to give the foal good immunity. If so, I give mine EWT, W Nile, flu/ rhino and rabies. I space them out over a week's time.

I never vaccinate a pregnant mare during the first 60-90 days of gestation. Beyond that, I vaccinate as usual. Same goes with worming. I try to do the mare's teeth when she is not pregnant.

Yes, I was referring to the 300 day vaccinations (yes I already do the 5, 7 & 9 month rhino vacs). So, it appears that everyone skips another rhino shot at the 300 day mark and most everyone does the E/W/T, flu, rabies & WNV. That is pretty much what I was going to do (spacing out) but wasn't sure about the rhino & PHF; so I'll skip those until after she foals.

And still...why, other than the sedation, wouldn't you have teeth floated? This mare does not require sedation for her teeth and is fine about it. Still curious!

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    And still...why, other than the sedation, wouldn't you have teeth floated? This mare does not require sedation for her teeth and is fine about it. Still curious!
    I have heard that some people don't like to float teeth in pregnant mares because of the release of mouth bacteria systemically. That being said, I have floated teeth in pregnant mares before with no problems.

My dentist would not do a pregnant mare the last few months because of the tightness and straining they do while floating. It can cause contractions, the same as if a heavily pregnant woman starts doing a bunch of sit-ups. I would tranq if I needed to float them during that time, so they would stay relaxed.

I always thought the 'no floating' rule was like the same reason it's something a pregnant human (or otherwise non-healthy person) should not have their teeth done; to prevent the possibility of harmful bacteria directly entering the blood supply, the pericardium, umbilical vein, ect.