The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ribbons...were they made of different materials in the 70's and 80's?

I decided to take a page from the printed COTH and put my ribbons in decorative vases (and they look GREAT).

I noticed that the ribbons from the late 70's and early 80's felt different from the ribbons of today - they feel more like "silk" and had faded LESS than ribbons from the 90's and 00's.

So - can anyone tell me why?

Yes, today's ribbons are definitely cheaper in EVERY respect. The ribbon companies started using cheaper stuff when the H/J people started throwing their ribbons away.

Hodges ribbons are still more or less up to standard, which is why I still buy them when I'm running schooling shows. I think today's kids have every right to do what I can still do, and look back at ribbons I won in 1969 and they're still the right color and haven't fallen apart yet!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Oh, Cindy, I saw that and want to do the same! I am not about to take down all the ribbons that are already in the tack room but new ribbons that Tucker earns will definitely go in jars..what kind did you get and where are you displaying them? And Jen and Amanda just switched bedrooms and I have the job of taking all Jen's ribbons down, think I may do the same for hers.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Talking

Did you know that if you put a BLUE ribbon under your pillow, it has a different feel and texture than lesser ribbons?

Well known fact!

Quote Originally Posted by denny View Post
    Did you know that if you put a BLUE ribbon under your pillow, it has a different feel and texture than lesser ribbons?

Well known fact!
    Can I borrow one to test it out? The chances of me earning one myself are pretty slim

Well known fact!
    And the dreams on them blues are SOOOOO much sweeter...
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

There you have the secret of success - putting that blue ribbon under your pillow!

Flightcheck,
    I would love to see pics of your ribbon vases/jars. I am in the process of rearranging a ribbon display and would love to see this. Is there a link somewhere perhaps? I think you said the idea came from a printed COTH, though. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. I'll try and google it, too. Thanks.

Well known fact!
    Not only that, but the old-fashioned uber-shiny ones... If you put 'em on the ground, they reflect UP!

Seriously though Flightcheck, I'd loff to see what you do with them as well!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

If someone will pm me with how to post photos, I'll be happy to do so

Techno-idiot, that's me

This is so much better than crammed in a cardboard box.

My Mom saved all my ribbons starting with my first leadline class in 1968 and ending in 1981. She then surprised me by shipping them to me in 2004 when I returned to riding 23 years later (how do mother's always know where our hearts are?). What an inspiration to have them pour out of the box, while I was feeling the humiliation of trying to recall horse body part names and getting TEed over stuff that didn't exist decades earlier. She had carefully labeled each ribbon with the date, horse name, place, and class or event.

I'd love to see the decorative vase idea. Someone please post photos!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetieG View Post
    Flightcheck,
    I would love to see pics of your ribbon vases/jars. I am in the process of rearranging a ribbon display and would love to see this. Is there a link somewhere perhaps? I think you said the idea came from a printed COTH, though. Anyway, just thought I'd ask. I'll try and google it, too. Thanks.
    Oh I loved those pics! Think about those big old fashioned glass candy jars full of ribbons - not crammed in, but enough to fill the jar loosely. Point rosettes out, mix and match colors. I thought it was a very cool idea.

I think you can get them at Target or at your local hardware store. I wonder too if a place like Gordon's Foods, or anyplace that sells catering equipment might have them??
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Quote Originally Posted by forbes79 View Post
    There you have the secret of success - putting that blue ribbon under your pillow!
    You have to have success to get one in the first place. DAMN THE MAN!!!

I always loved the look of the Trophy Room at the USET (now Foundation) at Gladstone. They have thin shadowbox frames lining the walls of the stairwell up to the room with solid ribbons - mostly just rosettes showing - like very thick wallpaper. Acrylic or glass panel in front to keep the dust down - and could be done in the UV protect glass to keep fade to a minimum.

Of course, I also loved the old Trophy room design too - where the ribbons lined the backs of the cases holding beautiful silver trophies and a few pictures. In one of the remodels, the silver was put away, the ribbons taken down and the cases became photo displays which are nice, but just not the same.

Crossing over from the H/J's...

The ribbon companies started using cheaper stuff when the H/J people started throwing their ribbons away.
    I NEVER throw my ribbons away! I don't know anyone else who does either, and I've never heard of it. I have every single one I've ever won, even the last place ones.

Coming from hunter land, I can explain this phenomenon. You go to a hunter show, show in 2-3 divisons, and potentially take home 6-12 ribbons over the course of the weekend. You can also realistically be in a hunter show 2-3 weekends a month.

As eventers, you get fewer opportunities to compete. SOME places will hand out dressage ribbons too, but for the most part - one HT, one chance at a ribbon. Certainly makes them worth more as a prize. I think HT organizers should consider this and try to find nicer quality rosettes.

I got rid of most of my ribbons from the hunter show days. I kept my HT ribbons. I feel like I worked harder for my HT ribbons. Ribbons from the hunter ring are not nearly as memorable. If I screwed up a course and didn't place well, I had another chance a few minutes later to win another ribbon...

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    If someone will pm me with how to post photos, I'll be happy to do so

Techno-idiot, that's me
    "Techno-idiot" No, I don't beleive that - I've seen you doing a Rick Wakeman with two PCs & an i-pod in the tower at Lamplight and announcing as well. This is a site that has a guide that even I could follow:

http://www.pprune.org/spectators-bal...une-guide.html

The only problem I can see is that at one time you had to be a Chronicle "Premium member" (whatever that means) to post photos. This method should be Ok as it doesn't add to the website (Chronicle's) bandwidth.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I put some of Jen's ribbons in a jar today. Had a nice trip down memory lane...her first blue on a friend's old schoolmaster who has since died, her ribbons from USPC champs, ribbons from her first pony. Her last ribbon at RH with Imp before she was retired. It's funny, but in eventing, a 6th place ribbon is just as special as a 1st!!
    I can't wait for her to see it.
    I am going to bring Tucker's first ribbons home from the barn and do the same. I asked Amanda if she wanted me to do hers but she wasn't sure.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

The ribbons were more satiny and thicker, with smoother edges, for lack of a better description.

While I probably have every horse trial ribbon I ever won, I don't have all the hunter ones or even the dressage ones, for the reason that someone above wrote. I do keep the championships and reserves. I have the first over fences ribbon that I won with Star, a tiny 3rd place with a string instead of a hook. The third that I won in a flat medal riding against hard-body kids is proudly displayed with the championship ribbons. Somewhere I have Cool's high score award from a big dressage show.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I'd love to see pictures as well. I bought my first house in September and last weekend found my boxes of ribbons from when I still showed. I'd love to display them but haven't hit on "the" idea yet!