The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mini CDE this weekend at Carolina Horse Park! - RESULTS - PHOTOS ... & MORE Photos!

Anyone else going? Course walk is on Saturday and competition is on Sunday. In spite of the arctic chill we've had this week it should be a lovely weekend with sunshine and temps approaching 70

This will be the first time out for my 'new' Polish Driving Pony, Maya. Maggie has moved to the left and Maya will be on the right. Maya is still very green and a bit inconsistent - but she's really trying hard. Maggie is taking to the role of senior member of the team and quite enjoying it.

Since there is no Training Level offered we'll be doing Prelim. We've been going out just about every day and practicing hard. The girls are very fit. Now if only I can do right by them. I don't expect we'll be competitive but I know we'll have a grand time and gain some valuable experience - especially since these are some of the hazards we'll face at the Southern Pines CDE in April.

MCDC is also sponsoring another mini-CDE at Big Sky Farm in Southern Pines on March 8th in case any of you want to come and play.

Now if anyone has some tips on the easiest way to get that 30 meter circle......
    Last edited by Ashemont; Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Good luck Pat!

Default http://drivingnews.us/results/results2009/MCDCminiCDEFeb

What a wonderful event!!! The weather was absolutely perfect - and so was everything else. There were 2 pony 4-in-hands and 3 horse teams.... Cindy O'Reilly, Gary Stover and Bill Long (who are all vying for a spot on the 2010 WEG team). It was amazing to watch those big horses go thru the hazards. Bill made tighter turns with his 17 hand team than I would even think of doing with my 12.2 hand ponies!

And my ponies.... wow! They were super! For Maya's first outing it was a huge success. She was a bit nervous in dressage as everything was so new to her. She bobbed her head the whole time but she tried very hard to do her job. No major mistakes and a test I was happy with.

Cones was something else. Only ONE person made time.... and she did it at a gallop with a single pony! We were 3rd fastest being 3.5 seconds over. I was thrilled as I wasn't going for speed. We had 2 cones down: one was Maya's fault when she swung her butt out - but she stayed tight to the pole afterwards; the second was totally me as I started looking for gate 20 before I got to 19. However on that tight course I was very pleased with the outcome because almost everyone had balls down

We only had one other competitor in our class so we finished first It was a good first time out for Maya and it was very obvious that she is going to be a super CDE pony. By the 3rd hazard she was pinning her ears, sticking her nose out and matching Maggie stride for stride. When I said "Go" they just flew to the out gate (there was a good run to the out gate on all of the hazards).

It was truly a great time. My new navigator, Meredith Russo, added to the fun. Her husband and Joe kept each other entertained while Meredith and I played Can't wait for the next one on March 8th, and then the Southern Pines CDE on April 11-12. I think my girls might even be competitive by then

http://drivingnews.us/results/result...MCDCminiCDEFeb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mm1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	24145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	24146   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gary Stover.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	24147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cindy O'Reilly.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	24148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill Long.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	24149  

Last edited by Ashemont; Feb. 9, 2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Add photos

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Congrts Pat, it sounds as if you finally got your pair going just the way you want them!!

The Sunshine State CAI the end of this month has 12 to 14 four in hands we are told. The Volunteer coordinator is begging for help--so many folks are driving this event. I even put a pitch for help at the CTR this past weekend.

It will be exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Cartfall View Post
    Congrts Pat, it sounds as if you finally got your pair going just the way you want them!!
    Thanks Sue. They're not quite going the way I want, but they're going. It was SO nice not to have one pulling my arm out and to finally get a dressage test that didn't have "left pony counter-bend" for every comment However I've got a PAIR now and I was actually able to DRIVE them. Even Randy Cadwell mentioned how much better matched they are And Bill told me I did a good job!!! Now that I know that Maya likes doing CDE we just need miles and experience.

I think we also need the horse dentist from the way Maya was tossing her head. He's coming out on Thursday and I'm hoping that will solve our problem since wrapping/adjusting the bit hasn't

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Congratulations! The pics are great!

Does Maya toss her head on a regular basis? If medical issues are ruled out, I've had some success with using a standing martingale for a time. Let's them bump against their own self, and allows the driver to focus on improving acceptance of contact as well as work through any tension issues. Of course, it's not legal for showing, but has worked well for us as a training aid.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Thanks, Kelly. We're having her teeth done again on Thursday and if that doesn't resolve the issue Bill has a few tricks up his sleeve Maya tends to do it when we get serious about dressage: she did not bob her head but once or twice in cones; and never bobbed at all on marathon.

We had a lesson today and Bill drove the girls for a good bit. When he handed them back to me Maya was much better but still bobbing a little. However she is working so very well otherwise. Bill was even complimentary about our performance on Sunday He said once we get Maya's head steady the sky is the limit! He has a great deal of confidence in the ponies and recognizes that they are very talented.

I personally feel that most of it is green pony coupled with not-the-most-experienced driver, and possibly a tooth problem. We need a lot more wet saddle pads

Ashemont2@gmail.com

Congratulations Pat!

Bill's team looks great. Can you tell me about them? Who is he driving for now?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    Bill's team looks great. Can you tell me about them? Who is he driving for now?
    They DO look great! Jack Wetzel's coaching team of Gelderlanders and they're 17 hands high! They look like they're breathing fire just standing in the stalls. This was their very first CDE and even on a very, very tight cones course they went clean with only time penalties (which every one had). It was amazing to watch Bill handle them in the hazards. He truly is an artist. He took really tight lines and never touched a hazard.

One of the wheelers kicked out in dressage and almost took out Bill's elbow. I'm sure he'll be schooled not to do that again!

Ashemont2@gmail.com

I thought they looked like Gelderlanders my favorite. And Bill certainly is a master and it's so nice to see him back in the game!

I am breeding my 25% Gelders mare to a Gelderlander stallion this year as well as doing ET.... who knows, I may end up with a pair
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

kentponys Guest

Default kentponys

Ashemont,
    The horses currently being driven by Bill Long and I believe, owned by Jack Wetzel have done HDT's.
    Three were driven in a team by Oz driver Boyd Exell, in the UK and Holland
    and one was shown by George Bowman Sr.
    Clearly this is not the first time out for these horses.
    How fortunate for Mr Long to be able to drive such a bonny team.

Direct from Bill's mouth: "I was really pleased with the team's performance as this was their first CDE." Bottomline is Bill was not handed a 'made' team; they each have their problems and he is doing a masterful job with them. I know I sure wouldn't want to try even driving one of them single through a CDE!

And sorry but whenever I see a Greenie post it makes me wonder about the agenda. Yes, Bill is fortunate but he's working hard for that good fortune! And a lot of talent and skill is also invovled.
    Last edited by Ashemont; Feb. 11, 2009 at 06:17 PM.

Ashemont2@gmail.com

kentponys Guest

What agenda?
    Was just passing along the correct information on the horses to those
    who inquired.

More photos can be seen at http://fotobytocco.smugmug.com/Mini%20CDE%20Feb%202009 compliments of The Pilot reporter/photographer Patricia Smith

Ashemont2@gmail.com