The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Quick acting joint supps for old horse?

My old guy is working though an abcess. He's getting ready to turn 29 and since this is his 2nd abcess in less than 6 months and 3rd in a year vet is leaning toward Cushings since it is in same foot and is looking seasonal. Of course none of my Cushings horses show the "normal" symptom - the long, curly coat.

Obviously I'll put him on pergolide with my next SmartPak order but for now he's got to have some relief on those joints.

I would be so grateful for recommendations for safe supplements for old, probable Cushings horse that are fast-acting (as much for my sake as my horse).
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Allot of my friends sware by Recovery EQ HA, best results twice a day. I use legend & adequan but if you want oral try the http://www.recoveryeq.com/recovery_EQ_HA.htm

I've been using Lubrisyn on my 20+ year old and I feel a difference. I take it too and it helps me!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Adequan works wonders. A mare at our barn was on D-Mac, recently switched to Legend...didnt notice much difference, but the 20+ year old mare looks pretty good to me!

trailblazer43 Guest

Default Chondrogen EQ Ultra

I would use Chondrogen EQ Ultra in Smartpaks--Horse Journal product of Year

If you're looking for quick acting I'd go for adequan - you can do the IM and it takes about 24 hours or so to get into their system. Then yes, longer term - what others here have posted are excellent.

trailblazer43 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lilykoi View Post
    I've been using Lubrisyn on my 20+ year old and I feel a difference. I take it too and it helps me!
    I use Conquer--it has 200 mg per ounce and is about 20 % cheaper and in 2007 was Horse Journal Top Pick

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Vet is coming in a few hours and we'll do Adequan or Legend and see how that goes for now. He's such a good boy and seeing him like this just freaks me out a bit - mostly because of his age, deep freeze, snow, ice, etc.

Between lame hubby & lame horse I'm a bit stressed.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Smile Don't waste your money on joint combo supplements

Something as simple as straight glucosamine sulfate could help an older horse. If you are concerned that the horse is IR, glucosamine hasn't been shown to have a major influence on blood sugar so it shouldn't be a problem. Start with 5 grams a day. Don't waste money on all these combination joint products since Glucosamine is doing most if not all the work. Other secondary ingredients such as HA may add only marginal results but much more cost.

Have not tried it myself, but a good friend recently started her old arthritic guy on Lubrisyn and is THRILLED with the results she's seen.

Default Don't use glucosamine but

any of the others will help
    The 'gold standard' is HA, but it is pricey.
    The fatty acids can help as can Keraflex, and they won't run the risk that Glucosamine does.
    Good luck.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Charlie Dawg Guest

My 24 year old, very arthritic mare (big blown out knee, etc) who is also cushionoid is on Cetyl-M and does fantastically on it. I can tell in 24 hours if she has missed a dose of it. It runs about a dollar a day and it works GREAT! I've had many horses on it through the years and have always been very pleased.

Lubrisyn. I noticed a big difference within days of first using it. Expensive but worth it. (Some people at a barn I was at started using it themselves to lubricate their skin. It worked but they looked very, very strange, almost creepy.)