The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Pony Sales Market - How's it doing?

How is the pony market doing right now? Is it slow like everything else? Or are folks still buying ponies?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Default Don't mean to hijack

Can anyone give me any info on the pony jumper market?

Poor and poorer (if that is a word-haha). That being said we sent two off on trail and bought one BUT it has been incredibly slow. Some of ours that are PRICED TO SELL and nice been around the block ponies- and some very fancy green ones......yep....still here!

The two we just sent out are lease-purchases- so I don't know if that helped. I wish it would pick back up because we are going to be out there helping out the economy buying more if ours will sell......
    www.patchworkfarmga.com

"The harder you train, the luckier you get!"

I want to do the same thing! I'm waiting for my very nice large green to sell so I can go stimulate the economy

LOL I had a friend ask me today because she had a pony talking to me about, but I didn't know what to tell her... so I told her I would ask COTH LOL
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I think people need to know they are going to have a job in the coming year before they go off and spend ridiculous amounts of money on ponies OR horses. I know for some its business usual, but not in my circles....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Thanks Missy, I agree, but there are plenty of folks out there that are still buying and selling. For one, I am glad they are. I think everyone has to be careful with expenditures, but not just in the bad times, but the good times too.

People that are careful during the good times may have a little money to spend now.

If people have the money to buy (real estate, horses, etc) this is a GREAT time to buy.

I personally don't think the doom and gloom will help the economy at all...

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    I think everyone has to be careful with expenditures, but not just in the bad times, but the good times too.

People that are careful during the good times may have a little money to spend now.
    If you have any clients - or friends - I'd be very careful with that kind of attitude.
    I know a lot of people who were very "careful" during the good times, working hard, spending carefully and investing wisely.
    It did not prevent the stock market from crashing, the companies they work for from laying them off, or the economy collapsing.
    Better than most regular sheeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post
    If you have any clients - or friends - I'd be very careful with that kind of attitude.
    I know a lot of people who were very "careful" during the good times, working hard, spending carefully and investing wisely.
    It did not prevent the stock market from crashing, the companies they work for from laying them off, or the economy collapsing.
    What naters said was not an attitude but a statement of observation (as was yours, just your observation was different), and there is some truth in it. The people at the top that were- not necesarly "careful"- but, wise, cautious and conservative (in NO political sense) are okay. And these people are still buying things, and employing people. But there are (and have been for awhile) only a choice few of this kind of smart, top-tier, economic player (and hopefully they will be the ones left standing when this all blows over) . . . and there has been no corresponding decrease in ponies (or horses). Hence, you have a slow market, but still a market.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

Whoa there buddy..... I have always been careful myself but that did not prevent me from getting laid off.. you are preaching to the choir. I would be one of the people, that although was careful when things were good, do not have extra money to spend.

There is no attitude anywhere...except for your post. Now, just like in a good economy, there are people with money to spend, and there are people without money to spend.

My POINT was that there are still people buying and selling, and that the people that have extra disposable income right now can find good deals.

Thanks dags, for clarifying for me. You said it much more eloquently than I did!!!

Back to the original question...

Yes, they are selling at the circuit shows if they are properly priced, presented by those known to have a good reputation as seller or trainer/agent and actually ready for a child rider.

No, they are not selling so well in small barns where they are the only offering requiring a long trip. Not selling if they are, really, too green for the average child. Not selling from an unknown trainer/owner/barn. You can probably overcome 2 out of these 3 but not all three.

This has been true the last few years and true with the horses as well.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Also another careful one whose household has incurred a job loss in the past year. Not much extra money, but praise the Lord we're doing okay. But, I do know some that are doing just fine in this climate, and others who are not.

Back on topic now, the market around here has been slow. My trainer has three green A circuit quality ponies for sale that aren't budging. He has sold several B and local level ponies recently, but I imagine you can attribute that to the fact they were nice ponies priced below $10K.

He does have a client that just bought a horse and two others looking right now. That is saying a lot since he's a small operation.

thanks for the perspective findeight. Sounds like their pony will sell, and perhaps quickly. Low price (I think, I don't really know the pony world) and already proven by kids, students, etc. Sounds like they are doing the right thing.

thanks for the perspective findeight. Sounds like their pony will sell, and perhaps quickly. Low price (I think, I don't really know the pony world) and already proven by kids, students, etc. Sounds like they are doing the right thing.
    Tell them to get it out there and make it as easy as possible for a maximum number of buyers to see it.

It'll sell.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Thanks Missy, I agree, but there are plenty of folks out there that are still buying and selling. For one, I am glad they are. I think everyone has to be careful with expenditures, but not just in the bad times, but the good times too.

If people have the money to buy (real estate, horses, etc) this is a GREAT time to buy.

I personally don't think the doom and gloom will help the economy at all...
    I wasnt trying to be doom and gloom, just realistic.....the job numbers don't lie.
    And yes, made up ponies and really fancy ones will still sell.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Ooops sorry, I was kinda in a hurry to get out the door, I wasn't saying you were predicting doom and gloom... I was thinking about the media when I said that... sorry for the confusion!!

I do think the media has a HUGE effect on this kind of thing....

Default price is important

i think people are still shopping because kids are still aging out,out growing,moving up ect. i just think people who were willing to spend $35k are willing to spend a lot less. if you ask me a lot of ponies had very over inflated prices before the market dropped (just like real estate) and while it is tuff right now it is the market's way of correcting itself. We have been doing pretty well and are a smaller barn i might add! but we have great ponies and price the reasonably so i think people are shopping for a good deal.

I agree that if the pony is well known or a packer it will sell.

I have a green large, priced cheap for someone to have a nice project, and have had no interest at all. I think if people are spending money at the moment, they want proven or ready for a kid.

Yet, I just sold one of my horses...so I guess it depends on what people are looking for.

In my opinion everything is slow at the moment...even some of my die hard lesson kids have had to go to every other week...

we are not in the hunter ppny business so I cannot comment on that. we have seen a lot of activity in eventing and dressage large ponies for adult and have sold everything we put up for sale by year end. prices are off about15 per cent of previous years. we have had a couple of inquiries this month for large bn ponies for adults. so that is encouraging.