The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DressagePrincess70 Guest

Angry Horse Rescue Owner Charged with Animal Cruelty

How does this happen?? A woman in South Jersey is charged with animal cruelty yet still has a rescue???? It says in the article (link is below) that the SPCA has been investigating for years...YEARS?! I am concerned because I am in full support of legitimate rescues..but who knows
    Please read so no one donates neither horse nor money to this resuce:
    http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/1...ry/392499.html

see the other thread on montana rescue in egg harbor, pretty disgusting

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

For what it's worth--what person donates money or a horse to a "rescue" without doing due diligence nowadays??? If you do so, shame on you! This isn't the mid 1800's where information about others is hard to come by or slow to make the news. If you don't Google the name of the person and/or the rescue beforehand then you deserve to get taken! Just ask around if you can do nothing else--people talk and the horror stories get around the horse world in the blink of an eye in my experience! I don't think there is a horseperson around who is so unsavvy as to just give a horse or money to someone without asking questions of the "rescue" and other horse people first. Sheesh.....

Second of all--anyone can call themselves a rescue--there is no oversight (which is why this country is in such deplorable shape)! Evidently this woman has not run into enough trouble yet for the authorities to strip her of horse ownership. Eventually she may end up in deeper trouble but until then all we have is word of mouth and the Internet to keep others from making a mistake with regards to this particular rescue.
    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!

Twice now I've been involved in seizures from a "rescue" - and it was the same "rescue" each time. She's killed at least five horses and four dogs that we know of, and she's already out there soliciting more horses. *sigh*

Rescue draws some great people - but sometimes it draws some people with real problems and issues. And the animals are the ones who suffer for it.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

This kind of thing happens all the time. There is a fine line between helping and hoarding with "rescuers." Best thing is to support horse rescues that are local and you can see with your own eyes.
    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/h...ves/137183.asp
    Knee Deep in Muck - Auburn "Rescue" Gone Wrong

DressagePrincess70 Guest

Angry Shameful

I read some of the threads on Montana Farms..this is insane. How can this person still have horses? I feel for the lady who donated her horse there that died! I wonder why the SPCA did not investigate that. It just makes me sick. I was talking to a friend of mine and she said that she remembers the name because they were at one of her horse shows..she said that she thought it was a lesson and boarding stable. Can someone run both a rescue and a business? Isn't that a conflict of interest?

Can someone run both a rescue and a business? Isn't that a conflict of interest?
    Technically, no. That may be one way the person who runs the "rescue" makes money to fund the rescue. There is no law that I know of that prohibits a person from doing that.

There are no governmental agencies that I know of that license "rescues"--and if there were they'd probably screw that up too! Everyone wants lower taxes and less government interference--this is what you get.

The only way you can deal with someone like this is to petition the state's attorney general to look into the matter. I think if this person has enough strikes against her and enough people are deceived by her the SAG might act to put her out of business permanently.....
    "I'm not much into conspiracy theories, but if everyone thinks alike you don't need a plot...." comment I read on a Yahoo board years ago--but it still rings true!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    For what it's worth--what person donates money or a horse to a "rescue" without doing due diligence nowadays??? If you do so, shame on you! This isn't the mid 1800's where information about others is hard to come by or slow to make the news. If you don't Google the name of the person and/or the rescue beforehand then you deserve to get taken! Just ask around if you can do nothing else--people talk and the horror stories get around the horse world in the blink of an eye in my experience! I don't think there is a horseperson around who is so unsavvy as to just give a horse or money to someone without asking questions of the "rescue" and other horse people first. Sheesh.....

Second of all--anyone can call themselves a rescue--there is no oversight (which is why this country is in such deplorable shape)! Evidently this woman has not run into enough trouble yet for the authorities to strip her of horse ownership. Eventually she may end up in deeper trouble but until then all we have is word of mouth and the Internet to keep others from making a mistake with regards to this particular rescue.
    I totally agree with you...BUT, there are those who have a shining star background and then go bad after you made the donation. I donated a horse to a lady who had a theraputic riding group. I checked it out, boarded the horse there for three months before I let her have him...horses were well taken care of. 6 months later, she went off the deep end and I went and retrieved my horse...the rest of the horses became a NCERL case and a 600 news story.

I will tell you, that after that experience, I am very, very hesitant to even sell a horse, let alone donate one.

IMHO, any non-profit/resuce needs to be run just like a business. Unfortuantely a lot of well-meaning people who go into the "rescue/non-profit" arena have no business sense and choose not to learn it.

There is a local "rescue" that offered a lady a horse that they could no longer afford to keep. They said they would "waive" the adoption fee. Now, they have an ad in the local classified rag begging for even $10 per week to buy a bag of feed for "your horse." You can even drop off a bag of feed (no mention of type/kind) if you want to.

I had my eyes raised when they started operations a couple of years ago, and I see that my gut instinct was right from the beginning.

Any one can get in trouble, they just need to be able to say "NO!" before they can no longer care for those already in their care. Most obviously cannot do that.

I used to get all excited about new rescues starting up but let me tell you, of all the ones that got started in this area, only one still exists alongside of me. All the rest became hoarders within a couple of months and suddenly were calling me to take there horses. And one of them on here has tried to get Cothers to take all there problem horses, they are keeping all the rest for riding lessons as well as now boarding them for the adopters because, heheeh you arent allowed to remove them from there four acre farm. She had 20 some horses within weeks she cant feed. Sad but true.

There has to be a plan. It doesnt surprise me anymore that this happens, I am just sorry because it so badly hurts those who persevere year in and year out.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

snkstacres - Your rescue is one of the few that I would feel 100% comfortable donating to. I like to keep my donations a little more local to me.

You are also correct when you say that there are so many that become hoarders, thus "bad" rescues that the truly legitimate ones have a very hard time getting/keeping their reputation and as such the precious donation dollars.

With the economy in the toilet like it is, so many people are giving up their horses and sending them to the first place that will take it off their hands. It doesn't matter to the owner that "loved" Dobbin so much beforehand who or what that "place" is that took the horse, just that they don't have to feed/care for it anymore. That is what is very sad and will get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    I used to get all excited about new rescues starting up
    Me too. I used to say, 'We always need more rescues" - and I even have a book on how to do it. BUT I've gotten over that for the most part. I do think there are parts of the country who needs rescues, and I do want those running rescues to have help (hence my book), but.... I see a lot of people calling themselves rescues, doing things poorly, getting in trouble and in the end causing more problems for good rescues.

Whoever said a rescue needs to be run like a business is right. I keep saying that - you need a budget, you need to manage your money, you need to make smart decisions and you need to keep money in your time all the time. You need to create savings for emergencies, and you need policies that you consistently follow.

Too many "rescues" fly by the seat of their pants - and it shows. *sigh*

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    For what it's worth--what person donates money or a horse to a "rescue" without doing due diligence nowadays??? If you do so, shame on you! This isn't the mid 1800's where information about others is hard to come by or slow to make the news. If you don't Google the name of the person and/or the rescue beforehand then you deserve to get taken!
    Sadly, MANY people are willing for a rescue to take their horses without investigating the rescue. On average I get 3 calls a day from people asking us to take in their horse(s). Illness, Age, Mortgage meltdown, eviction, job loss, etc. are many of the reasons given for not being able to keep their horses. When I contact these people to get more info in order to hopefully network with others to find a solution, I am told they can bring the horse over right now! They've Googled rescues in their area, found us, and are ready to load up their horse(s) so we can care for them.

They don't ask any pertinent questions about feed, farrier, adoption policy, etc. They just can't take care of the horse any longer. When I inform them that we are not in a position to take in any horses but that I will gather the info on the horses and try to find some help, these people who are so desperate for us to take in their horse get a little rough. The usual comment is "But, I thought you were a rescue!" Yes, we are. A rescue who is also struggling and have made the very hard decision to not take in any horses at this time due to the state of the economy and downward trend in donations.

I feel so bad for these horses because I just don't know where they'll end up. I feel bad for some of the humans too because they aren't all bad.....just in a bad situation.

It astounds me that some of these folks don't investigate or ask more questions. Just because I have a webpage and am a rescue is no guarantee that I am on the up and up....nor is anyone else.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Me too. I used to say, 'We always need more rescues" - and I even have a book on how to do it. BUT I've gotten over that for the most part.

Too many "rescues" fly by the seat of their pants - and it shows. *sigh*
    It shows in the worst possible way too...the condition of the animals. I posted about this on my site the other day and I feel bad, but damn it, I get mad. I get mad at all the people who make it HARDER for rescues to do their jobs.

Jenn I gave you a huge plug because I completely agree with what you all say...It's one thing to have a heart to do what you can to help, but is another thing entirely to understand HOW to run it as a business and make it succeed. I wrote...

If you made it through that part and want to find out more about the day to day activities of a rescue I urge you to visit Jennifer Williams PhD at her website www.howtostartarescue.com. Ms. Williams has been there, she’s done that and she has the thoughtful, intelligent insight that can shed light on an otherwise cloudy or the rose colored vision. Learn what you need to succeed, so you can hopefully avoid many of the pitfalls one will face when starting and running a non-profit.

I'm ordering a signed copy 'cuz I think you rock
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    Jenn I gave you a huge plug because I completely agree with what you all say...It's one thing to have a heart to do what you can to help, but is another thing entirely to understand HOW to run it as a business and make it succeed. I wrote...
    Thanks. I DO believe in good rescues - and I want to see rescues run well. When they're run poorly it effects everyone who loves animals (not just those in rescue) and it certainly affects the animals we all love.

DressagePrincess70 Guest

I am still a supporter of rescues, just really upsetting when it's in your own backyard that this happens. I just wish there was more that could be done to stop these people from running either both business and/or rescues like the on at this person is running. Just sicking the more I read and find out about this Montana Farms the more disgusted I am. Just wish there were more rights for the animals then there is for the horse businesses.

Well, Dressage Princess, encourage all those who have been taken by this woman to call or write the New Jersey State Attorney and complain! The only way things get done is if enough people who have been swindled complain to the proper authorities. People can rant and rave on equine bulletin boards until the cows come home but unless the authorities are notified what is going on they don't have a clue. Sometimes they have a clue but can't move forward because there isn't enough evidence but they have to be put on notice that a particular person may be breaking the law. They're not clairvoyant.

There are a handful of fake rescues right around me. The one in particular that really needs to be shut down would be investigated by the SPCA that is also under investigation for cruelty/neglect. So... how do you turn them in when the investigating office is under investigation by a higher power?!? ugh.

They charge you to take your horse ($500 each was the last I heard and that was 2 years ago, I've heard it's much higher now and this is not a donation to the rescue, it's a fee they charge) even though you can not afford to feed it and it's starving at its current barn.

They then "board" that rescue for you at $200+/month and use it in the lesson program that they also charge for.

They've never been to a sale, a feed/tack store (everything is donated bc the owner can sell sand to a sandman and currently has very wealthy sandman on the hook), let alone a kill pen. Never have "saved" a horse.

They have a cult of people that "believe" that they are doing the right thing (they are all um.... "not knowledgeable" people that like horseys!) and will fight to the death to defend this rescue. It's amazing to see such ignorance get this out of hand!

And yet they get near $100k/year to run this "rescue". The horses are alllll thin, long feet, etc. They have 12+ in one field with one shed. It's horrible. Sad sad state of affairs around here.

DressagePrincess70 Guest

Hey Diablo is this the same rescue the news story is on or a different one?

I donated my horse to Montana Farms last April. I did my homework the best I could before shipping my horse down there. I googled her name and the farm and the only thing that popped up was an open house for her supposed "Horse Rescue Mission". I have a signed contract from her with the rescue logo stating they are a non profit organization. I went there twice before I let my horse go down there and also the night my horse was shipped. I can tell you I felt pretty good about my decision and was in contact with Heather several times after that until she changed her phone number. I have a thread I posted and I think the next court date for her is March 3.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=166617

In response to CHERRY's post-
    "For what it's worth--what person donates money or a horse to a "rescue" without doing due diligence nowadays??? If you do so, shame on you! "

I did my homework and the paperwork I have states that this was legit. I didn't just ship my horse down there with no knowledge of where he was going. I was going to donate money after a few months of him being there but am glad I didn't.

Horse Rescue Mission website- http://www.freewebs.com/horserescuemission/index.htm