The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Insurance for horse boarding - advice needed

I run a small, private boarding barn in Western PA. I have 50 acres, 9 stalls, a run in shelter, a paddock and two pastures and currently board 7 horses here (plus 2 horses and a pony of my own).
    I have my little business incorporated, which I was told was the thing to do to protect myself somewhat.
    But I feel I also need farm insurance, I'd like to insure the barn and of course protect myself for liablity reasons. Do you guys have any companies that you recommend, that are good to work with and of course I'm looking for the best rates :-)
    Any input is appreciated,
    thanks in advance :-)

Thank you, I just sent them an e-mail....keep them coming, guys.
    Since my "operation" is very small and my profit margin is minimal, I need to find very low rates....

Our farm is in SE PA and that is who we are insured with. They are good and you get "charged" for your exposures. When they send you your application/information questionaire, you check off exposure questions and list horses, things you want insured(farm equipment, hay, tack horses,etc. that is how you get charged.

Default insurance

call Nina @ Jarvis

I'm talking with Tracy from Goetz and she's been nothing but helpful and very quick with her quotes, I'm most likely going to go with them, I do want another couple of quotes, so I'm able to compare....
    I did hear some people mentioning the farm bureau on here, but I couldn't find anything on the PA farm bureau site about insurance.....any thoughts?

I had Goetz insurance prior, I changed recently to Jorene Mize Insurance Agency and have been happy with the change.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Where at in Western PA are you, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you want instead! Thanks!
    Bones

Blue Bridle! http://www.bluebridle.com/ They insure thru American Bankers

Obenland & Low Agency, Inc. -
    (509) 843-1497 725
    Main Street PO Box 970,
    Pomeroy, WA 99347.
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

http://www.farmfamily.com/

I've been with them for years. Great coverage on all facets of farm, animals, and liability...

ditto farm family
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

I have a couple of tips as someone who owns a boarding barn and is a licensed insurance consultant. There are two different risks being covered -- the property (the barn, machinery, tack, etc.) and the casualty (liability for accident/injury). In many cases, a package policy that combines coverage may get the better premium, but it may be better to insure the risks separately. I do because I got better rates and coverage by covering the barn with the same carrier I use for the farm house and the liability with a specialty equine broker. On the liability side, I highly recommend getting personal liability on your horses and care, custody and control for your boarders' horses. The application will ask lots of questions about what you do -- lessons, training, breeding, clinics, shows, etc. Some carriers will let you add workers comp to the liability policy as well. The application is kind of tedious but it will get your policy tailored to your risk.

I actually use the fact that I have insurance in my marketing. I let my boarders know that I carry appropriate coverage for my business. It tells them that I am serious about my business and prepared for a catastrophic loss. The presence of insurance also supports my barn rules as the carrier includes my rules as part of the underwriting for the policy. I've had to invoke the phrase, "I wish it could be otherwise, but my insurance company won't cover..."

Default Barnes Equine Insurance

Any body heard of these guys? They are underwritten by Great American.
    Thinking about shopping around since although I was insured with them for the last 3 years, no claims.. their rates went up 100% from 250 to 500 this year 09-10.
    Pao Lin

United Farm Family - they have my house, farm, business, car & life.

AMERICAN NATIONAL INSURANCE CO
    PETER A. NELSON CSA
    89 HERTZLER DRIVE
    ELVERSON, PA 19520
    610-286-0975
    610-286-0976 FAX
    www.anpac.com
    www.peternelsoninsurance.com
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.