The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many volunteers are needed for a small schooling show?

Scribes (2-4)
    Runner(s) 2?
    Secretary and helper? 2?
    Ingate people? 2?

Thanks.

Assuming a single ring...You need at least a full day's worth of scribes - that could be one person all day, or two people for a half day each. I woulnd't suggest switching more than that. You need at least one person to total scores (could again switch off mid day), at least one "gate keeper" to keep everyone on time, at least one show secretary to check people in and hand out tests, ribbons, prizes, and post scores. At least one runner to pick up tests from the judge and bring them in to the scorer, and bring snacks and drinks to the judge and scribe, and keep the information flowing between judge and show office. Its really NICE to have an announcer - not necessary, but it helps.

If you provide food, you'll need someone handling that aspect - collecting money, dealing with food.

The bigger the show, the more people you need, but in general, for a small (30 to 60 rides), one ring show, one person can do each of the above jobs. Remember the show secretary will be busy for several days before the show too - scheduling rides, etc...
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

HI!
    I'd really suggest two people to do scores - one to double check the numbers. You need runners for each ring, and ring stewards help everything go smoother.

I have a spreadsheet I use when planning our club shows. We usually have two rings and, recently, close to 100 rides. I'll send you a copy, but don't know how to attach it to a message here or to a PM. If you PM me your email, I'll send it to you.
    Loretta

Default show volunteers

The number of volunteers can depend on how spread out everything is. I have someone meet all trailers at the entrance. They direct the drivers on parking and give out the packets which have written on them anything that is needed of the competitor that was not included with their entry. The packet includes a copy of the schedule and the rider number. My scorers do the posting and the picking up of the scores. With only one arena...a small show...there is time. I have limited concessions...sandwiches, drinks, snacks. They are in coolers in front of the scorers table and there is a box for the money....scorers can manage this also. The judge/scribe have their own snacks and cooler and then I take them to my house for lunch. I use one ring steward and she can get her drink and lunch whenever she wants. The steward can tell a few riders the order that they go in and the riders are good at going in the ring behind the rider in front of them. A small dressage show is easy to run! I have combined tests as well and that gets a little more complicated but can still be done with only 3 more volunteers. Have fun!

Depends on the layout.

When I used to run schooling shows on my own property, I placed my table between the trailer/warmup area and the ring, near the C-end. I could handle entries, run tests, score, post scores, shout for the next rider if need be, even read tests for people without taking many steps. Only volunteer required was a scribe. (And maybe someone for food.) Scores were posted within 10 minutes after the end of the test. That was before computers, so that layout would now require a cover from the sun/rain and a verrrrrrry long extension cord or a good battery.

Think about the arrangement of the facility. You may need a secretary, runner, scorer, scribe, gate person but not more than that unless they are going to get very bored, and maybe not even that many if they can double up. It also depends on the efficiency of the people who help you. I know one recognized show that uses four scorers for three rings and can't get the scores out for hours. I know another show that has one secretary and one scorer for four rings, and scores are posted immediately.

Thank you all. Now another question. What do you think is a reasonable fee for a schooling show? I know it depends a lot on location. $20/test? $25/test? How about stall rental. $20/day or $30/day? Do you do a pinny deposit? Where do you get your pinnys? I think the last time I had a show they were donated by a feed store, but I can't remember.

I know USDF has a booklet that covers exactly all of this, and a lot of GMOs do as well, such as California Dressage Society.

I'm betting most GMOs have something.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

My BO/Trainer has a $5 office fee and $18 per test (jumping and other classes are often cheaper). If stalls may be provided, she charges $10 a stall, with $5 back if you clean it (to her specifications) prior to leaving. Makes it cheap and affordable for most anyone. It's also one of the larger schooling shows in the area and very well respected.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

As for stalls, ask the BO or BM. Then tack $5 on for you (or your club, etc). If a horse does not get a stall, have a grounds fee. Again, start by asking the BO/BM, then add a bit.

Entry fees: we are charging $20 this year. We also have a $10 office fee new this year.

Have a firm refund policy. We refund full entry fees if cancellation prior to closing date; only with vet cert. after closing date, and only upon appeal if cancelled the day of the show. Stall fees are only refunded if the stall is rented to another competitor. This all helps reduce the no-shows.

have coggins included with the entries. Keep a file for your next show - highlight the expiration date.

Don't forget to get tests!!

We use clip on numbers, not pinnys, and they are returned when the tests are picked up at the end of the competitor's day. We just put a big bowl out, and we usually get most of them back.

Thanks, any and all info is appreciated. *slaps forehead* I didn't even THINK to go to the USDF site! Sheez!

Also, I have seen the low end dressage court that is white pylons with PVC pipe somewhere on the internet. But for the life of me I can't find it. I want to put on several shows through out the year, and I'd like to invest in a court. Trying to figure out the least expensive way. I've been looking at the Jr. Wellington by Premier... but the white pylon with pvc seems less expensive. Suggestions?

And what about chains? They always make me a bit nervous but the are everywhere so.... thought?

Chains are no longer permitted at rated competitions.
    The easiest to move, IMO, are the pylons and boards that slide into them. No pounding stakes into the ground.

L

Chain IS allowed at USEF shows (rule DR126.7), but it must be breakable. It's still very popular at schooling shows. A chain ring is the easiest to store, and the cheapest to buy, but it can be harder to put up than a ring with fixed sections. I really like the CDS pylons, and you use your own PVC pipe.

Bridle numbers are easy to get from the same companies that sell ribbons. However, if you want to save a few bucks there, you can get stick-on labels from Staples and just write a number on that. Riders can stick them on the jacket front or their boot.

Around here, for schooling shows, we get free numbers from the local feed store, with Purina or other brand feed logo on them. Competitors pin them to their saddle pads, or to their own backs. We only use bridle numbers at recognized shows.

A local schooling show near me gives out nice sturdy bridle numbers, and if you return it at the end of your rides you get a $2 refund. Which is handy because the snacks cart is right nearby.

Wink

don't forget your volunteer bit checker, whip measurer. A schooling show is sometimes a real eye opener for a newbie to dressage.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.