The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exercise routine after joint injections?

The two vets I use have totally different opinions on this. Vet #1 advises 3-5 days of rest after hock injections, light rides ok on day 3-5 but no jumping for about a week. Vet #2 advises no change in exercise routine after injections, and says jumping the next day is fine.

I am curious to know what other folks advise/practice, and why?

This is what my vet has told me. If this were an Olympic horse that needed to get to a competition he would advise like vet #2, however, for a generaly pleasure / light competition horse if you can give them the couple days it is better. So, it isn't a complete no-no to have them working immediately but IMO it is better to give them a day or two off and then a couple light days before going back to the training program. Just depends how often you want to be spending a couple grand injecting your horse. If you can, wait, there is no harm in that.

Assuming fit horse, proper pre injection diagnosis and regular program?

Injection day off. Next day off with a hand walk. Light work next 2 days. Resume full program day #4 including jumping. So, really, 3 days restricted then back to work. Inject Monday, show Friday (and, maybe, Thursday).

There are alot of variables and there is nothing wrong with being more conservative. But you cannot assume anything if somebody goes right back to work without knowing what the vet said and seeing the x rays-knowing horse's past history. They can be very different.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My vet says...

Stall rest day of injection (next day if very late in day). Cold hose at night if done in am.
    Hand walk 2x day, cold hose 2x day, for 2 more days (3 total).

4th day light hack and normal turnout, 5th day back to work inc. jumping.

Same protocol for the GP horses as the childrens hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Assuming fit horse, proper pre injection diagnosis and regular program?

Injection day off. Next day off with a hand walk. Light work next 2 days. Resume full program day #4 including jumping. So, really, 3 days restricted then back to work. Inject Monday, show Friday (and, maybe, Thursday).

There are alot of variables and there is nothing wrong with being more conservative. But you cannot assume anything if somebody goes right back to work without knowing what the vet said and seeing the x rays-knowing horse's past history. They can be very different.

This is what we did when my horse had his hocks done.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Per vet from Blue Ridge Equine, three hours ago (how's that for recent info? ): injection day completely off, no turnout. Next day, quiet turnout, or if the horse is likely to run the Derby in his field, hand-walking. Next day, regular turnout. After that, two days of light work, one day of regular work, and jumping OK one week from the injections.

This was for a set of hocks on a 14-year-old horse.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thanks for the input so far. I should have mentioned in my original post that Vet #2 actually RECOMMENDS heavy exercise the following day if the horse is in a training program, as he says stimulating the joints is helpful in getting the full benefit of the injections. FWIW, my protocol has always been somewhere between the two extremes.

And I'm talking about routine maintenance injections, for arthritic changes in older show horses, not treatment for something acute/traumatic.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    there is nothing wrong with being more conservative.
    See, that's what I always thought, but Vet #2 diagrees with this.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The vet today said that the meds need to be given time to work, and that to work too heavily the day after can further traumatize the joint, negate the effects of the injection, and make you spend another $600 on a vet call.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Joint injections are painful. I have had them done on two occasions in my neck facet joints. i needed time off!

Default Vandy

Tell your vet to inject a massive amount of steroids and HA into a joint and see how it feels the next day. If you have EVER had any joint injected, you would know how painful it is.

We have always hand walked or done a quiet turn out for three days, then hack for one or two. If it was an emergency, we could jump on day three or four, but for just regular horses, we would wait.

When my horse get's injected he gets about 3 days off and then light hacks for about a week with no jumping and then after a week he get's back into a harder schedule. But generally I find a week of taking it easy is the best.

We do stall rest after injection (day 1). Stall rest, or minimal handwalk days 2 and 3, resume normal turnout on day 4, with maybe a light hack. A hack and bit of jumping on day 5. Regular work after that.

My vet and vet 1 agree. My 14 yr old got injected on Tuesday. For years I got my knee injected and my doctor always told me to take it easy for about 3 days since the injection itself was somewhat inflamatory and everything needed to settle down before I resumed normal activity.