The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superbowl '09 Clydesdale Ads

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    My favorite is the one with Jake talking about his Grrreat Grrrrand father in the Scottish Accent! I love the scene of the Clyde running the race with the TB's!!! Also love the scene of him on the boat looking at the Statue of Liberty!

Yeah...but these sure lacked the heart of those in past years. Kind of silly and, seemingly, aimed at that 18 to 35 year old male demographic who find this type silliness effective. And why all the CGI to create silly situations?

The fetch one was halfway decent but I was looking for a really big treat there at the end, not a bunch of winking.

Daisy, the circus horse was kind of a dog, he could have done better.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

...not a bunch of winking...
    Wrong end, huh?

Of all the ads, besides the 9/11 memorial, the "American Dream" is my favorite. But it's a hard choice to make. And of course there's the original...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ahhh,thanks for posting the links.My favorite is the 9/11 tribute but they are all good. The American dream makes me tear up (silly me). I love the snow ball fight too-sorry couldn't find the link,,,

Here ya go!

I think they're all on YouTube.com
    John Adams

Thanks Frankb.

Snowball Fight is HILARIOUS, missed that one somehow. Good thing it's funny too...just watched American Dream and the 911 Tribute and those always have me in tears.

And that's what I am missing this year. Even last year's Rocky had a heart.

Now they are silly/stupid. But I guess that is what the current trend is heading for, dress them up and make them act way too human and loose their horseyness.

What's next "Hotel For Horses" and dress them up in baseball caps and bonnets with corny voices yelling "Whasss up"??

I agree with findeight... I wasn't impressed with them this year as it seemed they acted way too silly and clownish.

Clownish...yep, that's the word.

They certainly have changed focus when you compare it with the others from past years, new ad agency for new owners with stupid adolesent male consumer focus?

The one with Daisy made me laugh, because I think most horse people I know have wanted to go galloping with their horse across a golf course like that. (A few of them even have. )

Thanks for posting these. I didn't get to see them on Sunday, so it's nice to watch what I missed, even though they might not be up to the normal Budweiser standard.

The snowball one is GREAT. I just watched the mouse one and thought that was pretty cute.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Thanks FrankB!

Being no sort of sports fan I didn't even turn Superbowl on until halftime - just in time to see Bruce Springsteen slide on his knees (bet that hurt the next day...)
    As a result I failed to see a single commercial!
    Oh well, the Clydes are the only ones I really wanted to see anyhow.

The Fetch Clyde was cute and I'll have to view the others at home as I have no speakers in my PC here at work.

I'm with you, twinkle - the 911 spot still gives me chills.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Maybe it's because I do not care for the breed or the beer I usually leave the room when they come on the telly - Waste of my time! They lost originality l-o-n-g ago!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Now they are silly/stupid. But I guess that is what the current trend is heading for, dress them up and make them act way too human and loose their horseyness.
    I agree - they risk becoming passe like the once-highly popular Budweiser frogs. Keep the Clydes regal, less animated, and the indelible symbol of heritage and grace. If they want to tinker with the dalmation or even their true symbol - the eagle - have at it.

1970's original AB team advert with 'Here Comes the King'

My hometown - where Glimmerglass is - has long ties to the Busch family going back to 1880 with the summer residence of Adolphus Busch being there. It also helped that Otsego County (NY) was also one of the foremost locations for hops growth in the US at the same time

In the early 1970's their 400 acre property, Farmlands, overlooking Glimmerglass converted a portion of it into "Busch Woodlands". A natural theme park, not unlike Grants Farm in STL, that celebrated wildlife, the Clydesdales, and the Leatherstocking Tales series of characters (such as Hawkeye) and books from James Fenimore Cooper.

Opened only seasonally I can still recall to this day, despite being a little kid, these two huge wooden carved Clydesdales on the Lake Road signifying the park. A very family friendly place it even had a small railroad that took passengers into an otherwise unreachable part of the dense woods park where there were park benches, food, slides, swings and non machine operated rides. It was popular - ranking just behind the Baseball Hall of Fame and Farmer's Museum with visitor numbers. Alas it closed several years later with the oh so lovely 1970's economy

In a nice gesture the family (still with a significant presence in the community) and the company brought the Clydesdales to the 200th Anniversary of Cooperstown's incoporation in 2007

"The appearance of famed Clydesdale horses, representing our hop history, will be remembered by future generations as a once-in-a-lifetime event," she continued.

Hops and the Busch family figure prominently in Cooperstown’s storied past.

It has been estimated that in 1861, almost 90 percent of the hops produced in the U.S. were grown in New York state, with more than a third of that crop coming from Otsego County. Hops farming continued to flourish in the region until the end of the 19th century.
    Anyhow memories as they would say ...

Thanks FrankB. I love this thread. I'm at work corrupting my co-workers. we are watching all the oldies.
    I was disappointed this year too. I wonder if it is because the business was sold to a business in another country. Maybe they don't "get" the Clydes. I love them,,,

I loved the ad featuring Jake. It's about coming to America without a talent and doing what needs to be done in order to survive. By working hard and a little luck you can become famous or successful. In this economy we need to laugh and feel better about ourselves and this ad reminds us as Americans we can become successful again.

The circus ad reminded me of a romance novel for horses or Cinderella.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I thought they were pretty sub-par. I liked the ones where they were playing football.

Did you mean "The Streaker" or "Instant Replay"?

And remember Next Generation?
    Last edited by Frank B; Feb. 4, 2009 at 02:44 PM.
    John Adams

I love all the Clydesdale commercials. I loved to see them when they came to Savannah for St Patrick's day when I was a kid, the guys let us get into the trailer with them.
    And when I lived in St Louis we could go to the farm, and also right downtown where the hitch stayed during the week.
    While the horses are better than the beer, it's still OK.
    Besides, I always wanted a retired circus horse. I wonder what the circus does with the retirees besides breeding? I'd love to have an old mare, but she'd have to fall in love with a WB, not a Clydesdale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    And of course there's the original...
    thats so cool! never seen that before.

so catchy too, ill probably be humming that for the rest of the day...

I agree that it seemed to me the ads this year totally did not "get" the Clydesdale's heritage. They made them cartoonish, un-horsey, and silly. I was very disappointed, really, as the Clydesdale ads are always my favorites. They are beautiful, regal horses and the ads using them should honor that.

But hey ... I guess everything is going to crap these days. Either that, or I am just a dinosaur.