The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Braiding at "A" rated shows

Here is my question. Recently at an "A" rated show I saw only 2 horses/ponies that had their tails braided. Is this standard now to only braid the mane? And there were several who didn't even have a mane braided and showed. And what is the normal charge for braiding at a rated show (mane only)?

Was this this winter? The A shows in my area (Raleigh, Lexington) waive braiding for their winter shows. I think I saw one person braided last week. It's too darn cold for the braiders and a lot of the ones in our area are in the South for Gulf Port, WEF, Ocala, etc. We start braiding in March. If it was NOT recent you could have seen horses in non-recognized divsions like Hopeful, Schooling, Low, etc. If the horses are just going in those people often do not braid.

Tail braiding is ALWAYS optional, no matter what division. If your horse has a really nice tail and it looks nice unbraided it's one place to cut out a few dollars. Sadly, my horse's tail looks like the one you use to Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com

Default conformation day

Some people only braid tails on the conformation day. Usually this is either people trying to keep cost down or people who show alot and are trying to save the horses tail. We braid tails and mane both days, but the pony has a really nice tail and it seems to hold up OK.

If the horse is just doing a low or schooling division, we don't braid. In the winter, we only braid manes. My horse doesn't have the greatest tail, and it saves his tail for the big summer shows. More and more people in our area are starting to braid tails all the time though. A few years ago no one braided tails at our winter A series, but now it is not uncommon to see tails braided. However, the majority still don't braid the tails. Around here, a mane braid is $45.

westchester/fairfield county - we pay 75 for mane and tail, 45 for just mane. This winter we are not braiding. It's so hard on the horses hair. Have been to two A rated shows this year and we counted 2 kids with their horses braided - out of 16 in the class. (big eq) I think if turnout is clean and well put together, braiding is not an issue. I am pretty sure tails for eq were only done for finals last year. But manes done for all the bigger summer shows - FCHC, OX, OSF, Lake Placid, etc. Daughter was in Canada doing jumper classes and what a different look the "jumper braids" were. I really liked that look, and much easier to take out!

I know in this area many don't braid tails in the winter to save the tail. Plus the shows are smaller. They want it to look good for the bigger outdoor shows. Some don't braid for the unrated divisions either. I would say most are braided for the rated stuff unless it's a filler horse.

Manes are $45 around here.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Have been several threads on this lately including one big circuit going "optional" to save a riduculously small amount and drive the braiders out of business.

Anyway, rated shows offer alot of unrated classes where braiding has always been your choice-and the choice of most is not to braid.

Those that do braid for non rateds usually just do the mane.

Even in rated divisions, most just braid the mane unless it is hack day or they are Conformation Hunters or going to Model in the Ponies. Now, if you are in a Classic, Derby or some other marquee type class, or at Indoors, yeah, you braid it all.

It is way hard on the horse's hair, remember many of these show at least 2 weeks a month and at least 3 days at each show-it tears the hair up in both mane and tail.

Braiding runs about 30-40 for the mane and a little less for the tail but the cost really is miniscule and not why many are not braiding like they used to when they only showed 1 or 2 days once a month.

And nobody is going to think anything one way or the other about anybody else's choices because it is just that, a choice. Nobody cares that much.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Braiding runs about 30-40 for the mane and a little less for the tail but the cost really is miniscule and not why many are not braiding like they used to when they only showed 1 or 2 days once a month.
    Well, not really. Try 45 for mane, 30 for tail. Do that for just a weekend, and that's $150 per horse, then add in a professional division, and now we're running $300/week per horse.

If you're going to a one week show, that's not a lot of $$ in the big picture, but over 2 weeks, $600, and so on. If you're trying to afford an entire winter circuit, one week's braiding bill could possibly be the cost of a plane ticket to fly down and back.

I braid myself...not because I want to...but because Im broke lol. It really DOES save money!!

Here, for the core divisions tails are always braided....sigh, I prefer the bare look. My horse looks like he has a braided rat tail....I really need to get him an extension....

At our barn, we braided as follows:

No braiding for warm-up divisions like low, schooling, etc.

Mane only for non rated 'real' divisions (pre-green, children's hunter, anything 3'), except for classics

Mane and tail for rated hunters (Green and Working Hunters, and Juniors).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree; we braid manes for all hunter and eq classes; tails get done for hack day, classics, and derbies (in other words, the "big" classes.) If we did tails for every class, the horses would have have no tail left by the end of the season.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by horse show mom View Post
    Here is my question. Recently at an "A" rated show I saw only 2 horses/ponies that had their tails braided. Is this standard now to only braid the mane? And there were several who didn't even have a mane braided and showed. And what is the normal charge for braiding at a rated show (mane only)?
    I've noticed the same thing at the few A shows I've attended (strictly to spectate) this year, summer and fall. Virtually no tails, and far fewer manes than I'd expected were braided. We were talking about it, and the consensus seemed to be that it was still the official norm for hunters at A-rated shows, but in reality people were sort of 'sneaking away' from it at all but the biggest shows. There seemed to also be a consensus that it was sad.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Whats sad is the size of the check you have to write to the braider. 140.00 for one mane and two tails at the last show.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I am liable to get slammed for this, but I can't sit silent anymore!

I grew up in Zone II, showing everything from the A to C level shows. We braiding for everything except unrated schooling shows. Those of us that didn't want to spend the money on braiding, learned how to do it ourselves.

I now live in Zone III, and took a customer with a Large Green Pony to an A show a few weeks ago. On conformation day, we were the ONLY one braided - not only in our division, but almost on the entire showgrounds. I was hard pressed to find three other horses braided anywhere around. We braided the second day as well - because it is what I feel is proper - and again, we were the only ones braided.

What happened to the "tradition" of this sport? What happened to the days of being turned out to the best of our abilities no matter what level we were showing at? Isn't that what SHOWING is?

If it is a financial strain to pay a braider, then learn how to braid - or *GASP* scale back the amount of showing you do!

Ok, flame away.
    Lesley M. Jenks
    Finally Farm ~ Located at Yates Mill Farm
    Raleigh, NC
    www.finallyfarmnc.com

it's pretty cold for a braider, unless maybe youre in FL or something. but, then again, i often don't see many tails braided at A shows, and sometimes even at AA shows. i almost always see a braided mane, its rare to find an unbraided horse, atleast here at spring and summer A shows. i don't go to As in the winter, so i dont know.. anywho. manes = braided @ A shows. mane & tail = braided @ AA
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

In the winter - we braid only for the A rated divisions and don't do the tail. For the summer big A shows - we braid mane and tail for alll the rated divisions

Winter Raleigh shows are always unbraided. As soon as March rolls around, everyone will be dolled up as per usual. Nice break for the wallet. I braid mane every day unless it is an unrated division that isn't in the big ring. Tails get done on hack days. If/when he does the first years this spring, he'll have mane and tail both days. It's just so sharp looking.
    -Grace

I went to a local B show and was surprised to see almost everyone with their manes braided. I didn't see the beginners go but I only saw one children's hunter with an unbraided mane and the jumpers. Everything else was braided.

If we are HORSE showing, we braid [manes]. We only do tails for certain classes/occasions. I love how the tails look though, so was just asking my clients if we wanted to do them more often, but are thinking it is best to save them, as it is hard on them...but we may through a braided tail in through out the season just for the fun of it.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeTurnedHillbilly View Post
    I am liable to get slammed for this, but I can't sit silent anymore!

I grew up in Zone II, showing everything from the A to C level shows. We braiding for everything except unrated schooling shows. Those of us that didn't want to spend the money on braiding, learned how to do it ourselves.

I now live in Zone III, and took a customer with a Large Green Pony to an A show a few weeks ago. On conformation day, we were the ONLY one braided - not only in our division, but almost on the entire showgrounds. I was hard pressed to find three other horses braided anywhere around. We braided the second day as well - because it is what I feel is proper - and again, we were the only ones braided.

What happened to the "tradition" of this sport? What happened to the days of being turned out to the best of our abilities no matter what level we were showing at? Isn't that what SHOWING is?

If it is a financial strain to pay a braider, then learn how to braid - or *GASP* scale back the amount of showing you do!

Ok, flame away.
    [/requisite nostaliga for every thread on braiding]