The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Origin of the term "trace clip"?

Does anyone know where this term came from? Why it's called a trace clip?

I believe it came from harness/carriage horses, since you clip where the traces would go on a driving horse.

From carriage or wagon Traces- That's about where the line on a trace clip would be. An aside-I've tried a trace clip before, but I can never get it even so I end up doing a complete body clip.

My Farrier said the same thing last night about the traces from the harness. I thought it was interesting because I had absolutely no idea that is where it came from. Glad to know you all agree so if someone asks me again I can say with confidence where it came from!

So.... now I need photos of a trace clip.

In my experience it's been the clip that's completely horizontal, if you drew a line through the elbow and stifle, with halfcircle slipped spots at the flank and elbow/ shoulder. Clip between hind legs to tail base, and under neck, tracing jugular groove. Half of head, divided at the facial crest (if that's what it's called) is included occasionally.

Someone correct me please

Woodsperson, I could never get the two sides straight either! But I figured no one but me would be trying to comapring both sides of the horse, so I just left it. (Ok, no one but me and my trainer, who had a good laugh and asked what I was drinking when I was clipping)!

Here's a ton of images.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

I did a trace clip on one of mine and just took from under his neck to his flank. I didn't want to take too much off but he needed a little help staying cool. Start small and take a little more off as needed.

You can get it even by putting a strip of masking tape where you intend to clip on both sides. Then back off and look from front and back and adjust the tape as needed. Then look at each side and make sure its horizontal and readjust from front/back again.

Place the saddle on the horse's back,and clip a 6 inch mark at the bottom of the saddle flap.

Then it is easy to get it level both sides.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

even better, run an old polo from side to side around the hindquarters while the saddle sits there ( just tuck it under the girth) and run your clippers under the line of the polo- to start off. Thats how we get it even.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

look here to my helpful links and go to the bottom of clipping it has a video on how to aswell
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=178116

Is it too late to trace clip? The crocus come out where I am in late February, if that gives any idea of the climate, heh.

I ask because I once told my previous trainer I wanted to clip in Feb and she exclaimed "oh it's too late for that now!" I never followed up on why she said that, figured she meant the hair wouldn't grow out properly or such?