The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Reigh Count/Count Fleet in TB Sport Horses ?

I've been coming across this line a lot lately in TB sport horses, and it's starting to be something that I look for.

But I'm not sure why.

Do any CoTHers have any hard information on this line in TB sport horses? What they have done and what disciplines they are good for? I know it's an old line and probably dead except through mares, but what about them in the "glory days of the TB" back before the WBs took over?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Interesting.

I spoke to Judy Wardrope (pedigree research guru) a few months ago and I recall her mentioning Count Fleet as a progenitor of successful jumpers. She didn't say through which lines/ horses. But I know this stuck in my mind since my TB broodmare is linebred with 2 crosses to Count Fleet in the 5th & 6th.

One name that has stuck as a sire is One Count.

Well, I have an older mare (1989) edition who has Count Fleet in her damline (through her granddam's sireline). This mare was/is a good jumper and had a lot of scope. When I bought her she was doing some 4 foot jumper classes with her owner and I had her jumping four foot nine oxers in prep for her AHS mare performance test (which she passed).

But the mare also has Private Account(Damascus), Native Dancer, Blue Larkspur, Bull Dog (Teddy), so it is hard to say where the jumping talent came from. She is super rideable and did well at dressage and scored an 8 by the German inspectors for rideability. I have heard some others on this board say that Private Account horses are known for that FWIW.

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?d=fun+choice

Country Countess, dam of Number One Spy (international Show Jumper), is a daughter of One Count.

I'm still looking.

Count fleet appears in the pedigrees of several modern TB sires who have successful sport horse offspring. But it is so far back as to be meaningless.

You might find some Reign Count horses through Better Bee (who is Witty Boy's damsire).

A Count Fleet daughter bred to Nasrullah produced Fleet Nasrullah....seems like that might be another direction to look for sport results?

I'm not much help, I know. I do have a linebred Nasrullah mare with Count Fleet in there - a huge stout old girl, who I acquired late in life and bred to my Caro son. Resulting yearling filly is a strapping big gray thing who can hop out of any pasture at will. She'll be a fun one!
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

This is a mare that I bred, but have since sold. Spectacular Gal She has Fleet Nasrullah/Count Fleet and a ton of others that you all talk about all the time. I have a daughter of hers that I bred to a good jumper/FEI dressage stallion and she is now in competition and can jump the moon. Spectacular Bid is her grandsire, and he is the sire of Mytens and Mighty Magic.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Since Count Fleet is the grand sire of Prince John there's no wonder he turns up here and there in top class racing TB:s.

Even so I believe him to be one of those horses that will turn up more and more in sport horses when we get more and more of mares holding the blood lines of Mr Prospector and Alleged and such in to the sport horse breeding area.

One really good horse descending from the sire lines of Count Fleet is the showjumper Roven. http://www.team-nijhof.nl/site/html_...n/rovenxx.html
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

My daughter's TB showjumper, registered name Count Again Reigh has Reigh Count on his damsire lineage. He's big and is not really happy UNLESS he is working AND JUMPING!
    Anney Daugherty
    Winsmore Farm
    www.winsmorefarm.com

A friend of mine had an APHA mare with Count Fleet in the pedigree. She evented through Prelim and then showed in dressage through 4th Level before becoming a broodmare. She had two foals by a Contender son and then was used primarily as a lesson horse until succumbing at age 18 to Cushings. Both her foals sold to Amateur owners and haven’t been shown much, but their owners have a lot of fun with them.

Flirting Cove, dam of my babies, has Count Fleet in her pedigree.

The really line bred ones from what I have seen have been fantastic movers and jumpers and are showing up in a lot of warmblood pedigrees.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/arbees+alibi

As you can see, Arbee has Count Fleet on both sides. I started to ride him when he was 10 yrs old and he came with a lot af baggage. After we sorted everything out, he showed TONS of talent for eventing. No jump was too hard for him. Rarely out of the top three in dressage too (scores in the low 20's). Very smart horse which did sometimes get in the way. Also he is the kindest horse I have even known.

I retired him when he was 20 or 21 only due to a pasture injury that later caused a hock issue. He was schooling 3rd level at that time and played with paiffe and passage. I am sort of a wimp with jumping so we didn't go past training level but we did school the prelim stuff at USET.

I wish I had him from the time he was a young horse. Now he just hangs out with his girlfriend and donkey.