The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who has the highest 100 day test scores??

What stallions hold the highest test scores in each part--

Total Score
    Jumping
    Dressage
    Cross Country

etc. (mostly more interested in disciplines/skills, but w/t/c is fine too).

I guess some of these stallions would be deceased, but I was wondering what these high scores are, and who carries them... There may even be "ties"...

Is this posted anywhere?
    Stephanie Smith
    www.SundownFarmVA.com

19861.Traumtänzer/Oldbg.138.312.Fürst Gotthard/Oldbg.132.2419881.Frohwind/Oldbg.137.542.Donavan/Han.136.1619901.Tallison/Han.133.722.Page Nine/TB119.8519921.Le Champion/Oldbg.138.152.Gallarius/Dutch133.0419941.Flambou/Oldbg.126.542.Jupiter/Oldbg.126.0819961.Amor Reto/Han.133.752.Sandro´s Song/Oldbg.129.1419981.Puerto d'Azur/Belg.132.232.Amour/Hol.127.8520001.Contigo/Hol.140.952.Reno/Hol.133.1720021.Raymeister/Hol. (Short Test)131.772.Di Vinci/Oldbg.120.5820041.Galeno Tyme155.872.Caleb132.2820071.Rashka/Oldbg. (Short Test)164.862.Wamberto/Dutch158.78
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

eeek, that came out bad -
    Look at the bottom of this page -
    http://isroldenburg.org/?pid=tests_100%dy%stallion%test
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Worthy Opponent and Rapture R both scored over 135 at the 2007 100 Day Test, and Confetti scored over 127 (I note this because these scores are higher than some of the Test Champions' scores from other years).

It's very important to note that you cannot really compare these scores from different years. The program that is used to calculate them is complicated and not designed to score in such a way as to make comparisons accurate.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

What Sonesta said.

You also cannot lump the ISR Short Test stallions in with stallions that did the full 100 days. It is grossly unfair to the stallions that did the full 100 days to compare their scores and placings to stallions that tested for a far shorter period and had the benefit of their regular trainer riding them the entire time.

"eeek, that came out bad -
    Look at the bottom of this page -
    http://isroldenburg.org/?pid=tests_100%dy%stallion%test"

Very interesting!! That is the type info I was looking for... I am not really looking for the best stallions so to speak, more like the best scores.. Just to have a good idea what the scores mean as a general rule for the big time stallions..

So above 120 is good, but above 130 is extremely good.. Higher than that is amazing.

LOL What score would be okay, but you definitely dont want to score below this number?
    Stephanie Smith
    www.SundownFarmVA.com

No breeding decision should be based on a stallion test score. Period. Tests scores are ONE tool….just ONE. 70 or 100DT scores are a period in the life of a three or four year old... young!.... stallion. That’s all. An early indicator if you will.

I will tell you – having been there now and done that….there is a backstory to every test here and abroad… and every score. And the Average Joe doesn’t know what that story is.

Ergo, the stallion above 120 may not be not be one I would use, and the stallion with a 90 may be an incredible sire. And I say this as a SO of a stallion >120.

I really don’t mean to sound testy- but breeding isn’t about math. Though I am convinced that a large number of people believe it is.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I will tell you – having been there now and done that….there is a backstory to every test here and abroad… and every score. And the Average Joe doesn’t know what that story is.
    ABSOLUTELY!! Also, the OP didn't specify whether US testing or European: there IS a difference

I am not a fan of the 100 DT for many reasons and this type of comparison is one of them. You simply cannot compare scores from one to another because the scoring is based on what horses comprise the test each year.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

I am most definitely not planning on choosing a stallion based on their scores.. Rather, learning what good scores are..

Of course, you cant base their entire breeding career/or performance, off these numbers. 6yo and younger, is not a long time to be in training to learn to be GREAT horses. All the things that go into their inspections, or dont go into it...

BUT, knowing what the inspectors are scoring is great as well. I am not looking at it from a great stallion that I would breed to, I am looking at it from the view of getting a stallion tested! For comparison.
    Stephanie Smith
    www.SundownFarmVA.com

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    No breeding decision should be based on a stallion test score. Period. Tests scores are ONE tool….just ONE.

Ergo, the stallion above 120 may not be not be one I would use, and the stallion with a 90 may be an incredible sire. And I say this as a SO of a stallion >120.

I really don’t mean to sound testy- but breeding isn’t about math. Though I am convinced that a large number of people believe it is.
    This is very true. If you look at the scores of the stallions who've done the 100 day test, the ones who've scored really high aren't necessarily the ones who are the best sires.

Couple quick examples: Riverman (the Hilltop one), scored 105.48. He was 20th out of 53. So he was in the top half, but not by a lot. And anyone simply searching for high scores would skip over him. Yet he's produced lots of premium foals and mares, lots of inspection champions, he's got offspring out there performing, he's got 2 approved sons, he's become known as a great broodmare sire too.

Also, Sir Wanabi, from the 2007 test. He was injured during the testing, so his scores for the final 3 days--meaning, HALF of his scores, were simply the average scores of all the stallions. So that tells us...absolutely nothing. We know the judges felt he was at least as good as average, but you can't really use his score to decide anything, except that he "passed". His scores from the first half were ALL above average...

The stallion Alla'Czar got a whopping 94.71, he was 11/12!!! According the Old/ISR book, roughly 1/3 of his foals are premium. But most people who are breeding to him would not even look for that information, they'd breed to him because they like what he produces. All the Alla'Czar daughters I've seen have ranged from really nice to completely drool-worthy. So yeah, I'd breed to him in spite of his test scores.

The qestion as such is valid if this was/is not posted to make any breeding decisions based upon it.

The stallion test system all over Germany is the same changed in between (over the years a few times) basically the test score as such is based on a lot of single scores for different "categories". Than these are also put into a certaint relation towards each other. What you normally find with the stallions in not a sum or calculation of their real scores but an index calculated. What happens: one takes all overall scores during one test. Adds them up and diveds that by number of participants. And here you go the stallions that just meet this average get 100 points. Each and every stallion having a better score above that average has more than 100 index points how many is based upon how far he is away from the averag. So if you happen to have you good stallion in a very very strong group, he may finish with 110 points. If he would have shown the same sort of performance with the same individual scores he culd easily optain in a different test 130 points if the group as not as good. So it is a bit of a know secret that some stallion owners send the stallion that is important to the test and one or two additional ones that are by far not as good to water the average score down and have the own important stallion have a much better index point number. Germany wants to overcome this kind of issue know by having some sort of overall index calculated instead of one index based on scores at one testplace. No idea if this will change the situation, but at least one knows that all stallions with a test in the same year are brought into one certain order.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    2015: Likoto- Florencio - Prince Thatch; Lissaro - Don Frederico - Prince Thatch; Edward - Sandro Hit - Rouletto

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

interesting STF. A wealth of knowledge you are
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

I agree with all and Alexandria the most. I personally do not hold much stock in the scores. Just like at a dressage show, a score in the mid to high 60's may get you first place Grand Prix. Take the same horses and riders to a new show and that same winning horse may be based off of scores in the 70's. So it is kind of hard to really pin point and say a score above 120 or so is great. You can get a round of about that way, but I would look more at what the stallion does as they age and what they produce.

I see so many GREAT stallions that go under the radar b/c the owners and trainers actually take the time to "take their time" and not rush a stallion through the levels. Sadly those stallions do not gain popularity as fast, thus those looking for a popular stallion over look them instead of really researching the blood lines. I hate to see great stallions who produce a few FABULOUS horses get less recognition then say a stallion that has a huge book every year and produces only few NICE horses. This is where talking to owners of "get" helps out a lot!

I bred to Fabriano by Furioso II back in the 90s. He was in the bottom of his class, but he produced VERY well.

He was owned by Cindy Birnbaum Frank.

Wonder whatever happened to him.

She also bred Jupiter. Same dam, Essence.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    I bred to Fabriano by Furioso II back in the 90s.

She also bred Jupiter. Same dam, Essence.
    Wait - which Fabriano is this? I was thinking there was an interesting connection to Westporte and other Fabriano's that are nice, but when I look at their bloodlines I'm not seeing the same one??

Don't forget that some stallions are approved through their FEI performance records and then are only briefly presented for inspection. I like stallions that have such a record-and many of them do breed even before they are approved so you can see some evidence of what they throw as well.