The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to breed my TB mare to???

I have a 16h Chestnut TB mare... has thrown 3 correct, quiet, kind TB foals.
    All three are definitely huntery types.
    I want to breed a X this year.

I was thinking a Welsh but I don't know that I'll have time to show on the line which seems like the only way I'll be able to sell the foal.

Then I was thinking a Colored WB but sales do not seem to be high like they were a few years ago.

Then maybe a QH so I'd have a nice Appendix but yet again- no sale value for the foal.

Maybe a Connemara but I don't know any farms with a stallion.

I've also tried to broodmare lease her out but to no avail bc she was not shown herself (raced, has ankles, no riding).

Any ideas on what the heck to do with her?

Let her babysit weanlings. I would't breed if you have no specific goal especially in this rotten economy.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Popeye K/TB cross equals sellable foal

Default Welsh! Great Idea!

A nice Section A should do well for your mare, considering her size.
    Last edited by VirginiaBred; Feb. 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Quote Originally Posted by DiablosHalo View Post
    I have a 16h Chestnut TB mare... has thrown 3 correct, quiet, kind TB foals.
    All three are definitely huntery types.
    I want to breed a X this year.

I was thinking a Welsh but I don't know that I'll have time to show on the line which seems like the only way I'll be able to sell the foal.

Then I was thinking a Colored WB but sales do not seem to be high like they were a few years ago.

Then maybe a QH so I'd have a nice Appendix but yet again- no sale value for the foal.

Maybe a Connemara but I don't know any farms with a stallion.

I've also tried to broodmare lease her out but to no avail bc she was not shown herself (raced, has ankles, no riding).

Any ideas on what the heck to do with her?
    I really would like to check out her pedigree before even considering giving any advise...
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

You really should find a IHF nominated stallion and get a good foal. They normally sell and are worth the investment. Besides, Hunters will always be in style. especially if you get some Bling" on that foal.
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

Anybody going into breeding should have a clear breeding goal, including what the foal would be used for. It is relatively rare that a one-time breeder makes money on breeding.
    The one 'good' sale makes up for the failed breedings, crooked foals, early deaths, vet bills etc. if you are a larger breeder.

Reg name is Current Talk

I'm not a first time breeder- but not an exp one either.

Three TB foals to race (2 of the 3 at track now). I don't want to breed to race anymore. Her first is pictured here www.webshots.com/user/diabloshalo under the name Moe.

The other two are almost spitting images. They are already sold, so not listed on that site.

Also have ISH mare that I breed to a TB for sporthorse foals. She is one of the last direct descendents of Clover Hill here in the US.

I asked this question on this board to help get ideas of IF I breed her, what's the best way so that I can sell the foal- and hopefully as a weanling. I haven't bred her in the past few years bc I did not have a plan. Hoping to come up with a plan.

I started thinking of the SecA Welsh so I'd have a pony for my daughter. Well in thinking- it's best to buy a 15yo pony for a 1yo- so that was out of the question. Then... I thought..hey, breed your nice mare to a lil Welsh and sell that baby. Use that money to buy your nice 15+yo safe pony. So that is why I am thinking this now- to see what, if anything, would work.

I certainly don't have to breed and won't if I don't come up with a saleable plan. The mare is a lifer here either way- she doesn't have to "earn" her keep. But it would be nice if she bought herself a bag of carrots once in awhile!
    Last edited by DiablosHalo; Feb. 2, 2009 at 02:40 PM.

A Cleveland Bay, check out www.clevelandbay.org for a list of all the pure stallions standing in the US!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

AL-you have a pm...
    Last edited by DiablosHalo; Feb. 2, 2009 at 02:40 PM.

If she's huntery, there are some lovely Redwine/Tb crosses out there...(smaller Hanoverian)

Default Connemara/TB Crosses

The Connemara/TB crosses are actually quite marketable, even now. They've become a very popular choice for children and adult amatuers, specifically those who are eventing and foxhunting. First and foremost pick a stallion that compliments your mare, and has the attributes you're seeking, but it doesn't hurt to pick a popular and well known stallion. There are a lot of purebred Connemara stallions out there competing in eventing, hunters, jumpers, and dressage. A half-bred foal can be registered with the ACPS and will qualify for their awards.

I'd take a look at *ArdCeltic Art (www.hiddencreekhorses.com), he's 15+ hds and is currently competing at the Preliminary level in eventing. He won the Training Amatuer Division at AEC's this year. His first foals are due this Spring.

You may also want to check out www.ridgetopconnemara.com. They stand two very popular stallions, Landgate Bluebeard and Aladdin's Denver. Denver competed successfully at Preliminary in eventing, is 15.1 (I think, I know he's overheight), and has produced a lot of successful jumper/eventer foals. Bluebeard produces a superb temperment, a lot of his foals have won on the line at Devon & Upperville (Connemara divisions), and he has foxhunted successfully for years.

Also take a look at Rivendell's Jack Sparrow, www.rivendellfarmofal.com. The pictures on the site do him no justice, but he's one of only three intact sons by *Grange Finn Sparrow. Grange's offspring are competing at the upper eschelons of eventing VERY successfully.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Oh, and I forgot, just go to www.acps.org and go to the link that says "member's farms", you can find Connemara stallions listed on the websites. And lastly, if you're truely interested in using a Connemara stallion, there is a really nice video that has lots of stallions/farms featured, available through the ACPS Region IV. PM me if you're interested.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

I know you mentioned colored and someone else mentioned some "bling" for a possibility. There have also been some threads on "niche" markets with some similar opinions. Considering this...have you considered an Appaloosa Sporthorse stallion (www.wapuzzan.com) for a uniquely colored sporthorse cross? We have been able to sell a large percentage of our foals before weaning even this past year and tough as the horse market is! If you were to consider this I would suggest to make sure the stallion has the right build and movement that you would be searching to help produce a nice hunter type foal and 2nd make sure he is 100% or high percentage color producer on solid mares. Just a thought.
    Rugby Creek Sport Horses
    http://www.rugbycreek.com
    Specializing in Elite Dutch Friesians & Appaloosa Sporthorses

If you're considering breeding to a Sec A Welsh I highly recommend Secret Ambition Stables', Bur Dal Lord Solomon.

http://www.secretambitionstables.com...ordsolomon.htm

I have had the privelage of being around him many times and he has an absolutely OUTSTANDING temperment, combined with lovely movement and very cute/correct form over jumps.

His owner is also really great about responding to e-mails, and providing plenty of pictures, information and video of him!

I have had a secret desire to breed to the chestnut stallion with white socks on this site for a long time.....
    http://www.mortonstables.com/
    Of course the mare I have in mind is also chestnut with four white socks.
    hmmmm.... color breeders beware, us chestnut lovers lurk out here too...
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

For Connemara Stallions you may also want to consider our Stallion Wildwych Eclipse*. He is producing some outstanding foals with excellent conformation and temperaments---first foals are being started this year and the owners are raving about their temperament/trainability. He has a number of really striking cross and part bred foals of from different crosses (TB, Han, TK and RPSI) and all have been very nice prospects. Eclipse is Licensed ISR/OLD NA, Weser Ems and ACPS which would give a TB some options with respect to registration. You can see some of his foals here: http://www.goodpony.net/RedbudRanch/...y_Eclipse.htmlAlso you may want to check out this thread in eventing which mentions some popular stallions some of which have already been mentioned here: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=188340

Thanks for alllll the good ideas!

I'm loving stallion shopping!

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Trying to find the right stallion when you know what breed you want is tough enough.
    When you have no idea which cross you want to go with; that just makes my head ache at all the possibilities.

I would suggest for you to consider what cross you would be happy keeping for yourself, should the foal not sell. One never knows in this economy~

Good luck...
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

OMG- There are FANTASTIC deals to be had on the Belgian Warmblood stallion auctions this year. The auction ends tomorrow and the prices (Minimum bid $250) are ridiculous.
    http://sire.select.net/