The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I HAVE GONE RUST !!! help me pick a shirt!!

hi all! i've finally (very happily) bought a pair of TS supremes in rust. WOOOOO HOO!! i had to special order them at my tack shop and they have not come in yet, but i'm so excited i also just purchased a lovely GP coat i found on eBay to go with it ! (and for a STEAL at $150!! sure, its lightly used, but what do i care?) it's a pretty tannish/brownish/slightly olive coat. it has very very subtle blue windowpaning and a lovely cream lining. it's going to look great with the rust, but the problem is...what shirt will i wear? you'd think the obvious choice would be white. i put a white shirt on with it and to be honest it just does not look right. it's a very neutral coat and the bright white just looks way too stark and out of place. i'm at a bit of a pickle. i know if i wear a colored shirt, it will be way too loud and obnoxious, but i don't know what to wear!

i'm wondering if maybe a nice creamy colored shirt would look nice? i think a tan shirt would blend in too much with the coat, but a very soft barely-yellow cream could, possibly, look nice. it's a little hard for me to judge because i know it would look nice with the coat, and so would lots of colors, but when paired with rust, any real color is going to look silly, i think.

here is a pic of coat from the ad (ill find the close up pic later. + i havent taken any pics of it since i've gotten it which was literally less than a week ago.) remember the coat is a liiiiiiittle bit darker, really just looks a bit more brownish in person
    http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/1d/38/025e_1.JPG

so are there any nice "off white" type colors that TS or essex makes? (i'm open to other brands of course, sans RJ. i really don't fit well in anything RJ makes) or any other color suggestions you have?

thank you so much i'm super excited for my new rust outfit, but i need to complete the look!!

edited to add: i'm browsing different sites looking for shirts, and found a very pretty essex shirt.. and found some great colors that match the breeches and the coat. buuuuut i think it might be a little too busy. what do you think? the actual windowpaning on my coat is barely noticeable, unless you're like a foot or two away, but otherwise you can't tell there's much of a pattern, but considering the bold colors of the rust, i dont know...
    this is the color pattern for the shirt i just found
    http://www.essexclassics.com/images/...KH%20Khaki.jpg
    but the actual size of the stripes is quite small...
    http://www.essexclassics.com/images/...etails/733.jpg < not the same color as above, but you can see the stripes are pretty small...
    i'm wondering if this will be too busy?!

and what about this beacon hill shirt? is it too bright?
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...043-detail.jpg
    Last edited by superpony123; Jan. 31, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I think a cream or a light yellow would look nice, or even off white, but definitely not stark- eq-ring-white

I agree do not go with bright white. The light yellow and cream colors look quite nice with rust. I always wore a really light yellow and got lots of compliments.
    Rust breeches are great and I have seen a lot more people wearing them. I still have mine from 25 yrs ago and they look great.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

There's a Prestige show shirt, I think, in a stripey cream? I have almost the same coat and want to get that shirt to go with it. (:

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I think a cream color shirt would be lovely. I also like the Beacon Hill shirt you posted, but would have to see it together with the coat and breeches before saying yes or no.

Have you thought about a pale blue to match the windowpane in your coat? That might look good as well.

Happy shopping!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Blue looks great with rust.

I always favor either pale yellow or peach. If you're going to do peach, do NOT try to do it online - you really have to hold the breeches up to the shirt and be sure they match, because some shades of peach can clash HORRIBLY.

With the color of your jacket, I would seriously consider going peach but it would have to be the right one.

I also like the first shirt you posted though!

Congrats on joining the Rust Clique!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Maybe you could try a light blue like this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ladies-...-20777/cn/329/
    (just click on the blue color to see it)

J-E-H Guest

Im glad to hear more people are starting to show in rust! I'm from ontario and I was the only one in them last show season. I have a navy jacket and also a tan one, and I usually wear a medium/french blue cloured shirt with the rust breeches. Blue would look good with your jacket. You should try a light pink shirt too.

I would think a light/pale blue would look nice with the coat and breeches.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Either a pale blue or a cream would look really nice. and I love the coat you picked out!!
    Theater Majors only: Lead swap, lead swap, wherefore art thou, lead swap?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CraziiPonii

i like the idea of blue ! i considered it but i just wasn't sure if it would look alright with the rust (i mean i know navy looks great with it but i just wasn't sure haha) i am thinking i'll take my coat with me to bevals for the sale to hold shirts up with it but the problem is, my breeches may not be here by thetime the sale is. (had to special order them) hmm..
    (|--Sarah--|)

bump?
    (|--Sarah--|)

Way back in the day, I showed on the QH circuit in rust breeches. I wore a pale, pale pink shirt with a navy jacket that had very dark rust color pinstripes. I eventually did get light brown coat that had both rust and blue pinstripes. Alternated between the pale pink shirt and an off-white shirt that had blue an dark red stripes. My collar's monogram was in a rusty color. Either shirt worked.

I have been waiiiiiiting forever for rust to come back in. Now maybe there will be more selection from manufacturers! I used to show in them as a jr. and school in a pair of cotton naturals I found on a tack shop rack a few years back.
    Luckily, I ride a POA so I could show in them if I wanted to.

I never liked the puke green breeches, I stuck with regular beige.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

My favorite color with rust is pale blue, it seems to go well with almost any color.

Equino has my vote, a soft pink looks great with rust.

Quote Originally Posted by msrobin View Post
    I agree do not go with bright white. The light yellow and cream colors look quite nice with rust. I always wore a really light yellow and got lots of compliments.
    Rust breeches are great and I have seen a lot more people wearing them. I still have mine from 25 yrs ago and they look great.
    Ditto! I think an off-white/cream or pale yellow would be perfect! The pale blue, as BAC mentioned, sounds pretty too!

Congrats on your new breeches! Not to hijack the thread, but someone posted that the Royal or Supreme rust don't come in low rise, is this true? I have the TS cotton rust in low rise, but would like to eventually get the Royals. Anyone know?