The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you feed the recommended ration?

I've been feeding my TB 2 lbs of Ultium/day (1lb in am + 1 in pm). That is not even close to the recommended 7lbs/day for a 1000 lb horse in moderate work according to the label. But I can't even see feeding him that much!! Not only would I go bankrupt, but he would explode!!

Am I defeating the purpose?
    Is it okay to just feed a portion of the dose, nutritionally speaking?

He gets all you can eat hay + 5oz of Equipride per day also.

Never for my easy keepers.

You're not "defeating any purpose". The purpose of feed is to nourish--if the horse is well nourished, you're doing just fine.

The other issue is "are you meeting all his nutritional needs" WRT micronutrients, vitamins, etc. I wouldn't rely on Ultium to do that. I'd see what was missing (based on the amount of grain they get and what's in the hay) and add if necessary. Adding masses of extra calories just to get another few grams of Nutrient X doesn't make sense. If you need to add Nutrient X, you can add that separately.
    Click here before you buy.

No way to tell if you are effectively meeting his needs unless you do a diet analysis taking into account your forage and what your horse's needs are.

I guess another part of my question would be:
    Why is the recommended amount so high? Is it for those horses that only get limited amounts of hay or other forage? Is it purely a profit issue for the feed companies? (1 bag would last me 1 week if I followed directions)
    I guess I couldn't see feeding that much grain to any of my horses... Doesn't seem right. I'd rather increase forage if they need it...

Yes, and then some. I have a hard keeper. We're up to about 12 lbs of TC Senior/day right now. She drops to 6-8 lbs/day in the summer. (Plus high-quality free choice hay year round.)

You may want to consider a ration balancer if your horse is just getting a couple pounds a day. They've been designed to provide all minerals/vitamins you need in a small amount of feed.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    I've been feeding my TB 2 lbs of Ultium/day (1lb in am + 1 in pm). That is not even close to the recommended 7lbs/day for a 1000 lb horse in moderate work according to the label. But I can't even see feeding him that much!! Not only would I go bankrupt, but he would explode!!

Am I defeating the purpose?
    Is it okay to just feed a portion of the dose, nutritionally speaking?

He gets all you can eat hay + 5oz of Equipride per day also.
    You should feed to the recommended amount or your horse is missing some nutrient, mostly protein and vitamin. If you cannot feed that much because he does not need that much calories, then you need to switch to other feeds such as Buckeye Gro'N Win. It is 32% protein. All my horses get 1~2lb a day based on their level of exercises.

The recommended amounts are based on providing the full nutritional value of that product.

If your horse happens to need all those calories, or more, than you're fine.

But many do NOT need all those calories, so you feed less. How much less impacts to a mild or great degree how much of the nutritional value you are short-changing. If you feed 1/2 or less, then IMHO you need to supplement nutrition - vit/min product, or 1/2 dose of a ration balancer, or something akin to that.

Question

But he does get the Equipride...

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein, Min. 14.00%
    Crude Fat, Min. 5.50%
    Omega 3 Fatty Acid, Min 0.55%
    Crude Fiber, Max.5.50%
    ADF, Max 8.50%
    Calcium (Ca), Min. 1.00%
    Calcium (Ca), Max. 1.50%
    Phosphorus (P), Min. 1.25%
    Salt (NaCl)Min. 7.50%
    Salt (NaCl), Max. 9.00%
    Magnesium (Mg), Min. 1.50%
    Potassium (K), Min. 1.10%
    Sulfur (S), Min. 0.25%
    Fluorine, Max 0.8 ppm
    Copper (Cu), Min. 500 ppm
    Selenium (Se), Min. 5.0 ppm
    Zinc (Zn), Min 1,000 ppm
    Iron (Fe), Min. 350 ppm
    Manganese (Mn), Min. 750 ppm
    Iodine (I), Min. 8.0 ppm
    Cobalt (Co), Min. 4.0 ppm
    Biotin, Min 18 mg/lb.
    Omega 3 fatty acid, Min. 5,500 ppm

Vitamin A, Min
    100,000 IU/lb

Vitamin D, Min
    20,000 IU/lb

Vitamin E, Min
    350 IU/lb

Is that a bad mix with Ultium?

Again, hard to know without knowing what's in the other 95% of his diet.

The horse's entire nutritional needs don't have to come out of a bag. Where is your animal most of the day?

Mine are on good pasture 24/7/365. I feed them a scoop of cheap sweet feed several days a week to keep them coming up to the barn. Add a little hay on very cold, wet days. Except for salt, everything else they need comes from the pasture, much like nature intended.

Mine are on good pasture 24/7/365.
    Lucky you!

I never understood why a horse that's has ad-lib good quality hay or good pasture at all times needs a concentrate added to it.
    I feed WAY below the recommended amount listed on the bags. To some extent I feed them coz they love it.

I can understand why racehorses/eventers etc in hard work need those xx lbs of concentrates, but really weren't horses meant to be able to function on good quality hay & grass?
    If the latter is not available, sure you need to add, but I'm often shocked to read the amounts my guys apparently would need as listed on the bag. Poor hossies of mine, they must be starved to death.

I do however think adding an alround vit supplement is a good idea regardless of good/bad quality hay they are on.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    But he does get the Equipride...

Guaranteed Analysis

Calcium (Ca), Min. 1.00%
    Calcium (Ca), Max. 1.50%
    Phosphorus (P), Min. 1.25%
    Interesting. Your horse could be getting more phosphorus than calcium with this supplement.

What about Selenium? Is he getting too much?

You don't know, because you don't know how much selenium is in his hay.

The Ultium provides 5mg/kg, so for every 2.2 pounds you feed, he gets 5mg.

My TB gets 2# of TC Lite, which is close to the recommended amount.

My coming 28yo QH doesn't even come close to the recommended aout of TC Senior, but he looks good, and has been eating the same thing for years, I'm not interested in messing with it as long as he's healthy and happy.

I'm feeding almost the max of Ultium to my girl. She's getting 3 lb. 2x a day. I think the max is 6.8 lb. a day? She needs her teeth done, so I imagine a good bit of that is ending up on the floor. I'm trying to get her teeth done next week, (scheduling problems) so hopefully after that I'll be able to cut back a lot after that. It's a hell of a waste right now. If I cut back right now, I'm sure the money I saved on feed could pay for the float pretty quick, but I just can't force myself to cut her back when I know not all of it is making it into her tummy.

My other 2 fatties don't eat anything near the recommended amount of their feed.

That's an interesting point 7up - I feed my "easily distracted guy with an overbite and sloppy eating habits" out of a feed bag since I got tired of watching my expensive feed end up on the ground. I was supporting a healthy population of birds, rabbits and squirrels...

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I never understood why a horse that's has ad-lib good quality hay or good pasture at all times needs a concentrate added to it.
    Easy:
    - needs more calories
    - needs some additional nutrition for whatever reason: selenium-deficient area, more magnesium, more vitamin E, more copper, etc.

I can understand why racehorses/eventers etc in hard work need those xx lbs of concentrates, but really weren't horses meant to be able to function on good quality hay & grass?
    Sure, the smaller and/or easier keeping horses. A 17h TB with high energy is not at all likely to get enough calories from forage alone, just to maintain. Heck, my OTTB mare who isn't even in work, 16.1 or so, needs more than just forage to maintain weight.

Horses WERE designed to eat a forage-only diet. But they also weren't designed to be ridden or have higher metabolisms or be 2000lb

If the latter is not available, sure you need to add, but I'm often shocked to read the amounts my guys apparently would need as listed on the bag. Poor hossies of mine, they must be starved to death.
    You missed the point - the amount to feed is based on meeting some nutritional value. OBviously you have to tailor that to how many calories the horse needs.

My horses have free choice hay and/or grass, year 'round. 2 don't need any additional calories (1 is worked, 1 is not). 1 does or she will be a very light 4 on the scale - she is not worked.

I do however think adding an alround vit supplement is a good idea regardless of good/bad quality hay they are on.
    There you go

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The Ultium provides 5mg/kg, so for every 2.2 pounds you feed, he gets 5mg.
    Holy cow, and I read of people feeding 5, 6, sometimes even MORE pounds of this stuff!!!

People REALLY need to learn to read labels.