The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking CANTER CUTIES!!! Sorry

These two are from CANTER CAlifornia. They ahve some very nice horses on there right now. I would LOVE to have to money and a place to put some of them.

N'kota
    N'Kota

Reina
    Reina
    Reina
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

We have been drooling over N'Kota for some time now. He is stunning! Alas, somehow I think getting him to South Carolina would pretty much be too costly to consider
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Wow, N'Kota is GORGEOUS, but hard to justify $4,000 for him when so many are being given away for free.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Yeah, seems like the Cali cuties are MUCH more expensive, on average. Not sure I understand why other than everything seems to be more expensive here.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

I am always browsing on the canter sites and dreaming..... N'kota is a "supermodel" at least that's how I described him to a friend. He surely has the look of eagles and could make an awesome project for someone! But if I had the $$$ I would be buying this one... Kilgowan (that is his name, right under the listing for N'kota who has MUCH better pics but...) check out Kilgowan's pedigree and he has stayed sound and they are using him as a track pony! So you're pretty much guaranteed soundness + temperment. And the bloodlines scream event/jumper!

Can anyone tell me why Canter CA seems to have an abundance of tall horses? But the prices are surely a little steep.... that Kilgowan horse is calling to me but I cannot justify spending that much + shipping for an OTTB when SO many are available for FREE! Different economy, different salary, I would have him on his way to my place a.s.a.p.!!!

California's economy sucks and we're hurtin' that is why I do not understand the prices.

ETA: There are certainly a lot of nice ones though.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Don't forget to check out the horses on www.FriendsOfFerdinand.org

We offer track listing (buy from trainer) just like CANTER. But we also have *NICE* horses that were donated and actually have retraining time on them.

I'm sorta partial to this guy:

http://canterusa.org/midatlantic/sal...aloForMrW1.jpg

(and of course, to our retraining program guys- we took video of one of them jumping a little today... hee! Should go up on my blog soon...)

We also need a word for the FoF guys. Like, we have canter "cuties"- we need something else... like... Fantastic FoFs?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Wow, they have some really nice looking horses! This is very tempting to me. And I love the idea of saving these guys from the auctions. Question is, is this a good idea for someone that does not have a lot of experience with TB's? I like a quiet horse that needs a lot of leg, is it possible to find that from a track horse? I have ridden several TB's in the past and while they were very sweet and honest, they were a bit hot and sensitive for my taste. None of them were quiet enough for the hunter ring. I figured that maybe I just don't get along well with that type of horse. My trianer is phenominal with hot horses, me not so much! It sure would be nice to give one of these guys a good home though.

Laura, if you haven't done it before, I would recommend a horse that has already been let down and restarted.

I can't speak for the other programs that do this (like Friends of Ferdinand, or FLTAP, or Mid Atlantic Horse Rescue, or New Vocations) but in our experience the time off helps them to mellow, and when most of the ones with us start retraining, they're not really "hot" at all. There's tons of stuff they don't know, and the wrong rider could make them nervous, but generally they're quiet for trail riding, and willing to try whatever you ask them (even if they don't always know what that is). Most of our guys come off 3-6 months of rest and their first few rides are trail rides, and they're very happy and willing.

Either way, if you're not 100% sure you can handle it, getting one that's already been restarted is a safer bet. At the very least people know what the horse is like, so it's more of a known quantity.

Also, going to the track can be hard, horses are often stiff or a little sore, and very fit, so they don't move or look like they will after time off and retraining. If you're trainer's experienced with that, definitely get them involved, if you choose to go that way.

My CANTER blog.

Retraining a TB off of the track is one of the most rewarding things I have done. It is not for the weak at heart though so it is best if you have help from a trainer that has experience. Yes, you might get one that is super simple, or, you could get one who, like caffeinated said, needs time to let down. Most respond VERY well to one on one attention. They seem to thrive on being a one person horse instead of just another leather halter. One of the nuttiest TBs I have EVER known was a chestnut TB mare who was HOT. She would jig, crab step, little rears and bucks (like a rocking horse), back up, and be a total idiot when she was on the track... ALL OF THE TIME. I would not get on her. She seemed like the type that enjoyed the challenge of getting you off. I saw her rear when a rider was getting a leg up on her. He hung on though, I was impressed. Anyway, this same crazy mare was eventually retired. She was given away to a girl who worked with us as a groom and did nothing but pleasure riding. I was skeptical. Man, I am not kidding... this mare went to this girl, the girl gave her 4 months off to chill in a pasture. The mare got daily attention, one on one, lots of love and grooming. The girl started her back with NO ISSUES what-so-ever. The mare took to being a pleasure horse instantly. I was shocked but it proved to me that some TBs really do not enjoy their job on the track.

BTW, many TBs are hunters. My mare was. She was hot hot hot when she was young. She would have loved to be an eventer, she loved to run and jump. I had to teach her to relax, slow down and easy does it around a course of jumps. She was not a top hunter but I have seen MANY a TOP TB hunter in my days.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

If I didn't already have my mare, I'd seriously be considering N'Kota. He is jumper material all the way.

Folks, I'll say it once again. If you're interested in something out there, please call. Most of those prices are negotiable. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but an asking price is just an ASKING price. If there's a chance someone might come along and hand over your asking price, no questions, why wouldn't you price them that way? Doesn't mean you wouldn't take less. People overprice their horses every day in the hopes that someone will pay it; it's not a crime and it's not just the CANTER CA people. And people pay way more than someone else's opinion of what a horse is worth all the time. So what? If you call and your first question is if the price is negotiable, and they say no, what have you lost? One minute of a l/d phone call?

And please be careful with the use of the word "rescue." It can offend a trainer who has no intention of sending the horse to auction, and could potentially turn them off from using a program like CANTER in the future, if it's constantly being inferred that their horses need rescuing. If the horse has been listed on the site for a while, there's a good chance its not being shipped to Canada or Mexico any time soon. CANTER is the alternative to sending a horse to auction. Can you imagine if you keep a horse for months without it making any income, and use an organization like CANTER because you won't send a horse to auction, and then hearing through the grapevine you're being labeled as a horse killer? All it takes is one person walking around saying, "I rescued a horse from so-and-so" to trash their reputation.

Yeah, I bought a CANTER CA horse, but I didn't rescue a damn thing. Yes, supporting CANTER is showing trainers/owners there is a better option than sending a horse to auction. And yes, there are way too many horses who legitimately need to be rescued. But the definition of the word is starting to get stretched a little too much. If you didn't pull the horse out of the kill pen, you didn't really rescue anything. You're buying a horse from a trainer. End of story.

Ok, my soapbox session is over. Even though all I've done is bitch, please consider this a positive post in support of CANTER and other similar organizations.

Unhappy

Sorry about using the word "rescue" in my post. It was not meant in a negative way at all and I would never want to offend the trainers or CANTER people, I think what they are doing is great. I in no way think that they are "horse killers". But this post does make me very leary of even persuing a CANTER horse. If just one wrong word on my part can have such a detrimental effect on the whole CANTER process, then I guess it is not for me. I would never want my ignorance to have a negative impact on the trainers or process. I am simply an amateur rider that has the time, money, and desire to own and provide great care and companionship to a horse and hopefully someday show. I guess I have answered my own question......I am obviously not experienced or knowledgeable enough to go this route.

Laura, that's just a minor mistake. Once you think of it in terms of purchasing a horse, from a specific source, then it's just like any other horse purchase.

It's like my horse- he's a PMU horse from Canada, and a lot of people say stuff like, "oh, I'm so glad you rescued him!" He wasn't a rescue. I bought him directly from his breeders, and it's just like any other purchase, just an alternative source If I hadn't bought him, someone else would have, or they would have kept him and offered him again later, or started training him.

That there are some misconceptions out there doesn't mean you can't go that route- after all, most of horsemanship is learning by doing

The horses in our program, like friends of ferdinand, were donated by race owners who wanted to ensure a good home. There are other groups actively rescuing TBs... like Mid-Atlantic horse rescue, whose horses are largely sourced from area auctions.

I still would highly recommend trying one out, but looking through retraining programs before going to the track, maybe. Or if you're in our area, I'd be happy to take you to the track sometime so you could get a feel for it and see what those racing folks are like

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepix76 View Post

We offer track listing (buy from trainer) just like CANTER. But we also have *NICE* horses that were donated and actually have retraining time on them.
    OOH! OOH!
    http://www.friendsofferdinand.org/tr...&fromfromid=11

Quote Originally Posted by horsepix76 View Post

We have been interested in a few of the FoF horses but can never get the trainers to call us back!

We are in SC but were very serious about bringing a horse down. It won't happen at all if the trainers don't call back!

I know it isn't the fault of FoF but perhaps it would be useful to let the trainers know that it can hurt the chances of other horses if they won't even return a call.
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Well, not to be too nit picky but I think the IDEA of "rescue" from the track is a direct result of the horses being retired from racing, whom, in the past, may have just be discarded, at the sales or in another way. I say this only because that is also the reference for greyhounds, of which I have one. I can understand why in might be offensive, but at the same time, I think it is well meaning.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LessonLearned View Post
    We have been interested in a few of the FoF horses but can never get the trainers to call us back!
    Shoot me a PM if that happens. Our volunteers are at the track almost every weekend during racing season. Unfortunately the season ended in November and a lot of the horses were either sold or moved on to other trainers. That may be why you're not hearing from them. But come spring, we'll have new horses and will be able to speak with trainers directly. I believe racing starts up again at Indiana Downs in April.

As for the use of the word "rescue" I don't think of CANTER as a rescue organization. I don't think trainers do either. However, I do think it is somewhat appropriate for Friends of Ferdinand. Even though most of the horses that are owned by FFI are really nice, sound horses, we do take in some that have a good prognosis if they have surgery. Otherwise, they are most likely at great risk for neglect or slaughter. So in that sense, we are rescuing thoroughbreds from whatever fate may have been in store for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura855 View Post
    Sorry about using the word "rescue" in my post. It was not meant in a negative way at all and I would never want to offend the trainers or CANTER people, I think what they are doing is great. I in no way think that they are "horse killers". But this post does make me very leary of even persuing a CANTER horse. If just one wrong word on my part can have such a detrimental effect on the whole CANTER process, then I guess it is not for me. I would never want my ignorance to have a negative impact on the trainers or process. I am simply an amateur rider that has the time, money, and desire to own and provide great care and companionship to a horse and hopefully someday show. I guess I have answered my own question......I am obviously not experienced or knowledgeable enough to go this route.
    Sorry. My ranting and raving wasn't even directed at you. Many many people use the word when it doesn't really apply to the situation. The whole 'offending trainers' bit was a reality long before you used the word. You didn't do anything wrong. And if you get a horse from an organization that rescues horses, why wouldn't you think you were doing something good? You are.

My freakout was mostly triggered by folks who like to go around bragging they "rescued" a horse, when all they did was buy a horse who has been sitting in a pasture for 4 years. They think they did something grand, when all they really did was rescue it from a cushy life of lesiure, and now they have to work for a living. Or a person who goes around saying they have a rescue horse, when in reality, the horse was pulled from a bad situation 15 years ago and 10 buyers ago and has been a spoiled show horse ever since. My issue is with people who use the word to make other people think they are somehow better than the average buyer. My issue certainly isn't with someone who may not know all the negative connotations of the use of the word. So, I apologize for making you feel like you did something wrong when you didn't. It's obviously a hot button issue for me, don't you think?