The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GUILTY, HEYDONS FOUND GUILTY BUT...

The Heydons have been found GUILTY of all felony counts!

The judge sentenced each to 6 yrs to serve plus a fine on each count, plus resititution for the medical and feed, etc., for the horses plus forfeiture of the horses, only 300 days to be suspended if they pay for everything, but..........

In Montana, these 2 cruds have the right to appeal this case TO ANOTHER JURY of six people like this jury was, with a different judge!!!!

So both Heydons are out on 10000 bond each, and the next "appeal trial" will be in 8 or 9 months. Not fair, they get to try again to get off.

Great work by judge and DA and law enforcement, so Dorinda will give us the addresses to thank them all.

and good news for us GEORGIA NATIVES: The senior Heydon testifed that he was BORN AND RAISED IN NEBRASKA and had 3 horses there which he shod and ran and rode, etc. HE IS NOT A GEORGIAN. Don't know if the son was born here or not, but we aren't going to count him as one of us natives, even if he was born here.
    No Georgia crackers involved in this horse brutality case.

Only 300 days to be suspended...you mean they'll be in jail, hopefully their next jury won't be bleeding hearts, for 5 years 5 days? That'd be great.

Hey boys, meet your new husbands...

I hope they !~!@~ up again and then get the books thrown at them.

Please, please, let us know to whom to write and thank, and to whom we need to send additional exhortations that these scum get their jail time.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Only 300 days to be suspended...you mean they'll be in jail, hopefully their next jury won't be bleeding hearts, for 5 years 5 days? That'd be great.

YES!!!!! I kept asking Dorinda, cause I was worried all would be suspended, but it's only 300 days suspended and then only if they pay all fines and costs!!!!!!!

Hey boys, meet your new husbands...

Out on bond till appeal, but then, well, maybe we should "sponsor" a couple of big burly mountain men serving time for non-animal abuse cases in the same prison?

Well at least there has been a message sent....The more publicity this case can get the better....Many unsung heroes here as I have followed along with this drama and their strength to do the right thing is commendable.....

As far as the Heydons are concerned, I have to believe what goes around, comes around......Surely, the communities that these people live in will get word of the guilty verdict and the appropriate amount of scorn thrown their way may make them feel some degree of remorse.....At the very least payment for the care of the horses should be imposed on them as they don't seem to have the decency to do the right thing on their own.....
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

And the thing is, Dorinda said the senior Heydon testified that he had been raised in NEBRASKA on a farm with horses, and had had horses there himself, and that he had fed them and ridden them and had put shoes on his own horses (ouch) and that he knew all about horses.

So the excuse of "ignorance" and the cops telling him several times how to take care of the horses, was out the window.

I love that judge and those jurors and the prosecutor. Dorinda said one of the cops was "heroic" so we must get all that info next week and then start writing attaboy letters to the superiors of all the witnesses.

Wonderful news..except for the appeal. I doubt that people who live in their area have even heard about this. Wonder how we could see to it that they did? I'm in Ga. but really far from them. Too bad or I'd go door to door and educate everyone.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Hmmm... seems like the local papers and TV stations in their area might find it an interesting human interest type thing if they received a tip or two.....
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

CloudyandCallie,

Is it truly an 'appeal' where the only issues that can be raised are ones that were raised in the previous court? Or is it a whole new trial where they can bring in new evidence and arguments??

Default Read All About It.

www.ravallirepublic.com

note change. I misspelled ravalli county. the republic newspaper of Ravelli county. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post
    CloudyandCallie,

Is it truly an 'appeal' where the only issues that can be raised are ones that were raised in the previous court? Or is it a whole new trial where they can bring in new evidence and arguments??

I didn't think to ask Dorinda! I was so happy that only 300 days will be suspended of the 6 yr sentence, and only if they pay all expenses and fines, and I kept asking "are you sure" cause a lot of time every day is suspended if they pay up.

And then I was so shocked that they get an appeal trial, I mean, even in GA they only get one trial, then have a bank of appellate judges to review the case.
    But in Montana, all must testify again, same DA, same witnesses, but they get a different judge and six more jurors. Color me confused.
    Any lawyers or judges from Montana on coth want to chime in and enlighten us?

Plus I was kinda excited that Heydon was born and raised in NEBRASKA not Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by jeta View Post
    Hmmm... seems like the local papers and TV stations in their area might find it an interesting human interest type thing if they received a tip or two.....
    I do believe you're right.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I didn't think to ask Dorinda! I was so happy that only 300 days will be suspended of the 6 yr sentence, and only if they pay all expenses and fines, and I kept asking "are you sure" cause a lot of time every day is suspended if they pay up.

And then I was so shocked that they get an appeal trial, I mean, even in GA they only get one trial, then have a bank of appellate judges to review the case.
    But in Montana, all must testify again, same DA, same witnesses, but they get a different judge and six more jurors. Color me confused.
    Any lawyers or judges from Montana on coth want to chime in and enlighten us?

Plus I was kinda excited that Heydon was born and raised in NEBRASKA not Georgia.

Are you sure they couldn't appeal in Ga.? I was always under the impresstion that you could always appeal.
    I'M glad that Heyden (my new curse word. "how the Heyden did that happen? ) wasn't Ga. born, too.

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Are you sure they couldn't appeal in Ga.? I was always under the impresstion that you could always appeal.
    I'M glad that Heyden (my new curse word. "how the Heyden did that happen? ) wasn't Ga. born, too.
    Nope they cannot appeal here, and oh wow, look, a classmate of mine has been on the GA Supreme Court for many years! So they would not get any relief from Bob who is fair and honest and would wonder why they didn't get more time, and he lives up that way, past Roswell but not as far as Woodstock. But I don't want them to have an "appellate jury" that is dumb!

Every convicted felon, they are now convicted felons btw, gets an appeal, and these guys had their lawyer ask right after their conviction, so the appellate trial will be in about 8 or 9 months according to the prosecutor.

So maybe the Coth Crayola Posses could all go out to Montana this summer? I wish the trial would be sooner, as they are out on bond, but the prosecutor told Dorinda it will be in about 8 or 9 months.

Now if the guys jump bond and stay back here in GA? I'll be calling up to see if the Roswell PD still has any of my friends working there, and if any retired cops from Atlanta are still with sheriff's office in Cherokee Co., etc., and then we'll make sure no one "forgets" to pick them up for extradition. I really want to make friends with some big burly prisoners in Montana, and become a penpal, so maybe the Heydons will be "reamed" as DGRH said on another thread.

I hope the "son of heydon" was born in NEBRASKA also. If he was born here, we need to revoke his citizenship.

It does stink that they get a whole new trial for an appeal, but I doubt that they'll do very well there either.

This outcome is so good for my soul. The suffering that animals go through and the indifference of so very many is really overwhelming sometimes. I will remember this for a long time.

Does anyone know of a link to see how the horses are doing? Or can anyone report on them? After pictures would be great to see them healthy again.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    It does stink that they get a whole new trial for an appeal, but I doubt that they'll do very well there either.

This outcome is so good for my soul. The suffering that animals go through and the indifference of so very many is really overwhelming sometimes. I will remember this for a long time.

Does anyone know of a link to see how the horses are doing? Or can anyone report on them? After pictures would be great to see them healthy again.
    The rescue, whose name I forget, is on the website of www.rockymountainrider.com and they post updates so you can see the old reports.

And Horseinc will know, Horseinc where are you? They tried to adopted horses from Cheryl in North GA, but Cheryl wouldn't let the Heydons have any of her rescues, smart girl.

According to the article in the Ravalli Republic the sentences were only for 10-11 months with fines of $5800 and $6400. See excerpt below.

The elder Heydon was sentenced to 10 months in jail and fined $5,850. His son was sentenced to 11 months in jail and fined $6,435.

The judge also ordered them to forfeit ownership of the horses to the humane association and to pay all restitution for food, medicine, boarding and other care given the horses after they were seized by authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    According to the article in the Ravalli Republic the sentences were only for 10-11 months with fines of $5800 and $6400. See excerpt below.
    I wonder? I talked to Dorinda, personally, on the phone this afternoon. The sentences she said were all felonies, which wouldn't be in months. And she said they got the 6 years. I will call the newspaper tomorrow. I sure hope that Dorinda is right and that the newspaper is wrong.

If these were only misdemeanor sentences, the judge could have run them consecutively, but then they would be in 12 month increments, not years. Oh rats, I do hope the ravalli newspaper is wrong.

OK I'm going to call the sheriff tomorrow and track down the prosecutor. Horseinc is reporting 6 yrs also from her source, but someone over on that thread mentions "misdemeanor" sentences. We want felonies, then they go to state prison, with the big guys.

Ack, SO closed 5pm mountain time, so no one in administration was there when I called. Rats if misdemeanors, and more rats. Even Georgia changed cruelty to animals to a felony years ago.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Jan. 30, 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Default Heydon's in GA

They live 30 minutes from my rescue. Some how, the neighbors had flyers taped to their mailboxes about the Heydon's arrest, now maybe the CONVICTION will also get posted around the neighborhood, maybe even to the Real Estate Appraiser board Father Heydon is assosiated with. I just can't imagine how that could happen.

We really need to know if it a felony or misdemeanor. Can't 21 misdemeanors equal a felony? Do the math. LOL

Craig Heydon 425 Saddle Horn Cir Roswell, GA 30076-1044 (770) 992-4096.

I will AGAIN contact all the TV, Radio and news media. They were not interested in the arrest, maybe they will like the convictions.

Cheryl
    www.savethehorses.org

Default coggins and health cert.

Can't GA prosecute them for not have health certificates crossing state lines?

Cheryl