The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Changes to Penn. Nat. Horse Show

Has anyone else seen this in the latest Practical Horseman?

"The Pennsylvania National Horse Show has announced modifications to the standard horse show format for it's October 2009 show in Harrisburg. The hunter and jumper divisions will be expanded, while the traditional saddlebred, Western, and draft horse sections will be showcased only as exhibitions and special attractions. The reasons for the changes are to revitalize the show so it's more appealing to exhibitors and spectators and to ensur the future if the competition. the first four days of the show will continue to focus on Juniors, highlighted by the Adequan/USEF National Junior Jumper Championships and the Pessoa/USEF Hunter Seat Equitation Medal Finals. The final six days will be devoted to an expanded hunter and jumper format, along with special attractions."

What do you think?

if the hunters and jumpers are keeping the show afloat then i suppose they have to do this, but i always loved the diversity there.

I think all the other breeds getting cut out will be mad.

Quote Originally Posted by fair judy View Post
    if the hunters and jumpers are keeping the show afloat then i suppose they have to do this, but i always loved the diversity there.
    Same here.

I really enjoyed seeing all the different classes

It's the biggest reason I went there- I'd rather drive several hours and go there, than go to WIHS right in my own backyard, in large part because of the saddlebred and draft classes.

I guess if they weren't getting enough entries to justify the expense, I understand, but it's still sad

(and what about Good Hands finals? That's a HUGE class I really enjoy watching).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

someone said theyre having low jrs this year? is this true or do they not know what they were talking about..ha

Well, as some of you might well surmise, I'm HATING it.

Surprisingly the ASB forums seem to be shrugging it off. I think they are under the delusion they can get the Good Hands Final moved to Syracuse.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I just felt like all the different stuff kept the Penn. Nat. like a "classic" indoor show, if you know what I mean. Like the way all the Indoors used to be.
    someone said theyre having low jrs this year? is this true or do they not know what they were talking about..ha
    That's partly true. Not a low jr. division, but NAL is adding Low Jr.'s, so I'm assuming that Penn. Nat. will have the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBobRadar View Post
    I just felt like all the different stuff kept the Penn. Nat. like a "classic" indoor show, if you know what I mean. Like the way all the Indoors used to be.
    Preaching to the choir here! Spend long enough on the relentless grind of faceless AA shows, you start wishing you could go to a REAL horse show at indoors and see all kinds of cool different stuff. Sadly this is becoming less and less available.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I will really miss the saddlebreds, at least. I never watched the western horses and the drafts were sometimes after the GP, so I would stay to watch them, but I loved going up to watch the ASB classes. It's a shame they are cutting them, but entries have been very light except for the Good Hands Final for the past few years, so I understand their reasoning. I think the 5-gaiteds had two last year? They're all moving to KY . . . it's a real shame.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

How were the entries in those other classes?

I know at Devon, entries in many of the saddlebred classes are poor. Some classes last year had 2-3 entries. The largest class I saw was maybe 8-9. Granted, I didn't stand there every day and catalog the classes, but the turnout was really poor as compared to the hunter/jumper classes. Even the jumper classes that didn't require a lot of points to make the cut still had "full" numbers. As you know, there are long waiting lists and high numbers of entrants in the hunter divisions.

I wonder aloud how long Devon can keep allocating time and resources to classes that entrants don't seem interested in. I don't know what the solution is, but I can understand, with the crush of a schedule, wanting to swap out a class with low participant interest for a class with high participant interest.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Yep, you hit the nail on the head Veronica... Entries have been low at both shows.

FWIW though, I think Penn Natl. doing what it did has kind of given the ASB people a wake-up call that they MUST start supporting these shows, even if there is something closer that offers more.

I sure hope there are still Saddlebreds at Devon by the time I get Quattro going. A ribbon from Devon is one of my as-yet-unfulfilled life ambitions and I better get a move on! EVERY year, I do the best I can on the ASB forums to get ppl hyped up for Devon (to the point where one of the organizers sent me a thank-you note! ) - but I think they're paying attention now, more than ever.

War Admiral, why aren't the ASB people showing at Devon like they used to? As a kid I remember those classes having plenty of entries. Over the years it seems like all the divisions with the gaited horses have dwindled.

I see the same thing with some of the other less traditional divisions. It was really sad last year to see the one little pony roadster strutting his stuff. It is such a blast to watch a full class of them.

What are the Low Juniors?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    War Admiral, why aren't the ASB people showing at Devon like they used to? As a kid I remember those classes having plenty of entries. Over the years it seems like all the divisions with the gaited horses have dwindled.
    It conflicts with a big ASB show with a wider variety of amateur divisions, which is geographically easier to get to, easier to work at once you're there, and has the added (perceived!) advantage of being indoors, which ASB ppl tend to prefer. And just like H/J, people go where their trainer says they're going.

I keep trying to push the AOT's (Amateur Owner Trainers) to do Devon. It's a goldmine for us older ammies who keep our horses at home and train them ourselves, with the big KY barns all going elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by SoBeIt View Post
    What are the Low Juniors?
    Low Junior Jumpers.

I love going to Penn National because of the variety and, compared to the slim turnout for the shaky tails at Devon, the classes at PA Nat were well attended. You got to see actual competition and the Good Hands class was a favorite of mine.

Bummer, big time.

I just wrote to steph@paequestrian.com expressing my concerns and disappointment, explaining how much my family enjoys attending PA National for the very things they want to eliminate.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Thank you, Wingsie!!!

An informal poll please? How many of you who are going to miss seeing the ASBs at Penn. Natl. might be interested in joining a "Saddlebred Friends of Penn. Natl." lobbying group/letter writing campaign IF one were started?? The idea is being kicked around loosely but nothing formal is in place yet... Obviously the more H-J people who were willing to participate, even if just by doing what Wingsie did & sending a quick E to someone, the more success such a venture might be likely to have.

NAL (North American League) is adding a Jr/AO jumper series....since only the Highs (leve 7)JR/AO's qualify for indoors the low sections (level 5-6) are left out..in no man's land...I think this is a great idea, it will run like the Adult, and Children's leagues with points accrued from the classics.

Read about it here.

http://www.ryegate.com/

but I am sad the non h/j sections will be left out..surely the one classic is not responsible for that...economy?

I always loved warming up for the classic Saturday and having the GHS going on and the hackkney ponies...etc... then the Amateur jumpers... then the Grand Prix that night it gave it such an old school horse show feel...but I am sure they are doing it for some reason
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

I will very much miss seeing the ASBs. My one and only horse (and my first horse, to boot) is a Saddlebred. It's a shame to see these magnificent horses being relagated to the "exhibition" category. I would happily join a letter writing campaign to voice this opinion. And although I do own a Saddlebred (and ride only for pleasure, not competition), we do ride Hunt Seat in our lessons. I'm a hunt girl all the way who just so happens to love the breed. It's a sad thing when diversity is frowned upon at such a large, well-known show.
    Last edited by ClassyRide; Jan. 29, 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    but I am sad the non h/j sections will be left out..surely the one classic is not responsible for that...economy?
    Thanks for the link, Moesha. I do agree the new NAL class needed to happen, without doubt, and no, I do not think it is responsible for the ASBs getting dumped!

I just went and had a gander at least year's class list and it really seems to me as if there were plenty of classes they could have dumped (including some of the ASB ones!) without getting rid of ASBs in their entirety.