The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spur question/opinions?

So I went to Dover's website with the intention of buying these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ladies-...25117/cn/1990/

But then I saw these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/soft-to...25194/cn/1990/

Does anyone have one or the other? And opinions on either? I need something with a bit of length, but nothing sharp. These two seemed like good fairly mild options.

Anyone?

(Oh, I have a gift card to Dover, otherwise I wouldn't be buying ANYTHING from them due to their obscene shipping prices, but if you have a better spur to recommend on another site just let me know!)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I have them both. I'm in the same boat as you -- I need something with length, but also something soft that won't mark my oh so delicate boy's sensitive hide.

I use the plastic roller spurs for schooling, and the soft touch spurs for showing because I think they look nicer. They both work the same with the horse as far as I can tell, and I have no complaints about either of them.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I have both pairs. For some reason I prefer the soft touch spurs over the plastic rollers. My guy has very sensitive skin, it works wonders for not leaving any kind of marks. They're also easier to clean, since i do get dirt/grime on the rollers and I've found the solid metal balls cleans off/polishes easier than the two part plastic ones. The plastic ones also have edges around the middle (since they're divided) and my horse started to get little lines on him sometimes. (I've never owned a horse that has such sensitive skin as him). I love mine, ride in them every day and I don't have one complaint

I've ridden in both and like the soft touch better. Nicer look, easy clean, very easy rolling action.

Yes, if I only had to get only one pair, I'd get the soft touch. On the others, I haven't had any problem with the separation in the plastic leaving lines, but the plastic does get covered in sweat and start to turn greyish and look dirty over time. That doesn't bother me for schooling, but I wouldn't like it for show.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Excellent comments and suggestions! I think I will get the soft touch ones for the "ease of cleaning" aspect.

The thing I liked about the plastic ones was that they had a short-shank version that looked like it might be a nice spur to have on those in-between days. Right now all I have are some baby tom thumbs and some monster offsets. I haven't used the offsets since my junior days when I actually had CONTROL over where my leg was at all times Maybe I'll get the soft touch and the short shank black ball ones...

I need to expand my spur collection for sure!
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I'll go against what others have said just to make your decision more complex . I prefer the plastic over the soft touch. First, from a looks standpoint I think the black rollers blend in better on a dark horse (which I have) and the soft touch stick out more. Use wise, I just feel like I need to use a lighter touch with the plastic than the soft toch.

Quote Originally Posted by ImJumpin View Post
    I'll go against what others have said just to make your decision more complex . I prefer the plastic over the soft touch. First, from a looks standpoint I think the black rollers blend in better on a dark horse (which I have) and the soft touch stick out more. Use wise, I just feel like I need to use a lighter touch with the plastic than the soft toch.
    I'm with ImJumpin
    I found that the soft touch ones "rolled off" my horses side & made my leg move, where the black ones were mild, but stayed in place. Also depending on your horses coloring (I also have a bay) they are less noticeable.
    But one warning - I did break one of the rollers. The top separated. They do not make replacement rollers, you have to buy a whole new spur!

Dammit you two! I'd just decided on what to get! Now I have to THINK more!

Maybe I'll just get them both. They're only $20 each...

I have a chestnut, so black OR silver will both show against his sides.

How funny! I actually just bought the shorter black roller spurs. My horse needs to be ridden in spurs, but he is extremely sensitive. He would flip out if I used anything really long or pointy on him. I tried these spurs out and so far they are great. I don't think they will be quite enough for his super lazy days, but for his normal lazy days and the first few days they should be perfect. He is also not crabby with these spurs so that is a huge plus in my opinon.

Default smartpak

makes a version of the plastic roller spur that comes with a bunch of the rollers which might help if they break. they come in a variety of colors and you can mix them up which is kind of fun. also smartpak can engrave your name on spurs, which is nice if they have a tendency to walk away...

I too have both... if your intention is not to leave marks then go with the second pair because the black roller ball ones like someone else mentioned will leave lines on your horse from the seperation of the plastic. However, if you really need a bit of a bite to your spur (ie. a really lazy horse) then the black roller ones are better because that edge does give you a bit of dig and the balls don't roll as easily so you can actually get a good grip on their sides (of course then marks tend to be left behind).... the soft touch ones do roll a LOT easier and for that super lazy horse you may just find your heals sliding across your horses side with little effect.

Of course i have a bit of a spur collection so i just bought both and gave them a try to see which worked better for my particular horse...

Quote Originally Posted by ponymama View Post
    makes a version of the plastic roller spur that comes with a bunch of the rollers which might help if they break. they come in a variety of colors and you can mix them up which is kind of fun. also smartpak can engrave your name on spurs, which is nice if they have a tendency to walk away...
    ...which would be good to have, since the plastic rolly-balls tend to pop off really easily.

I haven't used either, but I have heard many a complaint about the rolly things coming off and disappearing after just a few uses.

I have used the plastic roller spurs once, they were good for the horse I was riding (just needed a little something extra once in a while). However the friend I was borrowing them from had the roller on one pop off a couple days later and had to replace them, so that's the issue that I would have with them. I haven't tried the soft-touch ones, I don't wear spurs on the horses that I ride regularly. Good luck!
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

I have both also. And I like both. I like the all silver ones better than the plastic ones. I find that the plastic is kinda sharp on the edges in the middle, and as time wore on the plastic rollers got loose on the pin, and the pin sticks out at the top. My guy got rubs and marks from where the pin stuck out.

Here's my third option here:

I find that plain jane round 1" or 1.25" sprus are the best answer for my sensitive guy. (My horse is so sensitive he's allergic to everything under the sun; rayon, nylon, polyester, neoprene, etc. I can't even ride bareback in TS except for the cotton ones without him getting a rash.)

I wear these at home and shows... just don't set them on concrete because they can scratch. As long as your leg is still they don't rub. http://www.doversaddlery.com/herm-sp...-2505/cn/1990/

I have a horse that marks very easily. The black plastic spurs don't mark him (but aren't enough spur). The soft touch spurs left an ugly rub. The only spurs that don't leave marks on this horse are the Pessoa smooth rowels. I've had the black plastic spurs for years-since they first came out-and have never had a problem with them breaking.

I have both. The soft touch do clean up easier. I also like listening to the balls spin while I canter around a corner. I can hear them going vroom-vroom-vroom and that keeps me focused on my rhythm rather than everything else that I shouldn't be bothering with. My trainers can't hear it though, so that's good.

My friends also like to spin them while we're sitting around waiting too.