The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Retained Placenta - IT'S OUT! IT'S OUT!!! :)

Hi all - just a quick question for you guys. We sadly had a mare abort undetected twins on Friday morning, about 255 days along (crazy because we checked her numerous times with u/s and did not think she even double-ovulated.... so we were floored, but anyway). Of course, the more viable one was a beautiful jet black filly with white. She was in foal to Pablo.

The bad part is that she retained the placenta, and some of it STILL has not passed!!! She has been flushed 2-3 times a day and is being treated with oxy protocol as well, but there is still a small portion left. We are doing all we can to make sure she stays with us, and she's now at the vet's new clinic (first patient in the new barn!) under intensive care. Luckily she is still bright, eating well and no signs of founder... yet. She's had 5 previous foals effortlessly with no problems. This was number 6, and she is 19 this year.

What is the longest you've ever had a mare retain? We are just looking for encouraging stories. I mean, it HAS to come out eventually, right??? Any secrets we should try? Ugh. Hopefully the rest of the foaling season will be better!
    Last edited by Signature; Jan. 29, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I had a mare in the hospital for 14 days, if I recall correctly.

She had a dystocia, foal had to be removed, and the placenta stuck around for 10 days. Then she stayed for a few more days until she was released.

The equine hospital staff just kept flushing and would not remove it manually ... said it would leave too much scaring.

The mare got back in foal but lost it somewhere along the line. I need to try again this spring or risk permanent retirement of a valuable broodmare.

I am so sorry for your loss, Signature. I lost undiagnosed twins in 1999. Jingling like mad for your mare. She is in good hands. Hoping all is right very soon.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

jingling as well! I am so sorry!!:no
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

My fingers are crossed for you all. She is a lovely mare and that is so sad what has happened.

I have had 2 situations. One mare retained and foundered even with treatment and the other was fine after having 2 fullsize term twins last year. She was treated aggressively and got in foal for 2009.

Hopefully Abby is a fighter and will be okay. I hope so. My prayers are with you.
    Robin Stewart
    www.woodsendfarm.com

Jingles for you...I lost twins (Roemer full sibs of Fairfax my 1989 DAD Champion) to one of my best mares..we had been US and I had a seasoned vet...and still missed the twins..it happens. The mare loved her foals and took it hard.

If you are in breeding long enough...this can happen. Back in the 90's, I lost a maiden Dutch mare to retained placenta. Just couldn't clear the placenta. It was absolutely the hardest thing I had to see a mare go through. She foundered in about 8 weeks. The foal made it and is retired to breeding after a great dressage career.

Hoping your mare pulls through.

Thanks, everyone. I mean, how long can this go on? Reports are about the same tonight. What happens if the cervix closes after foal heat and it's not all out? It HAS to come out, right? You'd think after the tissue dies it would just let go... fingers crossed that it's recitified soon.
    Signature Sporthorses

Jingles for you mare, Signature.

And a hug for you and your partner, monami.
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Here is a link to a good article. Not sure if this will help. http://www.wwvc.net/ern/archives/ern1-5.htm

Hope your girl is ok soon. Sorry for the loss of your babies.

Sending more jingles today.

Thanks, everyone. The report is still the same. We're at about 72 hrs out now. The flush this am was less pink/bloody tinged but still kind of gross (not surprising). No further chunks or pieces have come out. Our vet is the obsessive type and is calling around everywhere to try and get other ideas or angles. For now she is just treating with oxy and flushing every 8 to 12 hours, as well as using Banamine, Ace (I did not know it was a vasodialator) and SMZ's, etc. So, we'll just keep on going...

We appreciate all the PM's and links for articles to try and get any further insight as to what to try. Thanks for your help and support - fingers are still crossed.
    Signature Sporthorses

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Good luck... so sorry about the filly and twin, that's so hard.

I'm coming to this late, my girl went 3 days with the whole thing in there. Long story but a truck fire (with mare and 48+ foal in the trailer behind!) stopped us from getting to the vet... we got home via two tows, unloaded, put her up... and while I was having a huge breakdown on the phone with my (completely non-horsey) Mum, it plopped out.

I was super agressive with antibiotics and bute... did MSM and Aloe 20 mins before the bute (20gm MSM) and she was fine. Due to circumstances beyond MY control, she actually ended up only getting one flush the day after expelling the placenta.

I know it wasn't as long a time, but certainly due to location, wasn't nearly as agressive care as your girl is getting. I share the story because she came through with flying colours and had two more gorgeous, healthy foals for me (even though she was 'retired' after retaining She came out of retirement. ) Different circumstance, but still, *hope* for you I hope!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I had one retain for 5 almost 6 days following a fetotomy. She developed a case of MRSA once we finally got the placenta out, but she recovered 100% with no founder.

Good luck, it's a scary wait, but they can pull through.

Best wishes for a complete recovery - You must be a basket-case with worry. I had no idea (where have I been??) that this could go on so long.
    You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Signature, Kathy and Jos, as well as Dr Nie are both available for consulting. Sometimes they approach things differently.

I faxed my records on my dystocia/retained placenta case so they can see what was used and how long it took.

My mare did not founder.

She got pretty nasty about needles, tho.

I heard about that, thank you SO SO much. It is so helpful to hear what has worked and our vet is confident and aggressive yet very open to any advice or theory. She has to be the most wonderful person in the world - Dr. Shanna French at the Oaks Equine and Farm Services in Smithfield, VA. She even drove out to a friend's hay field today and picked a large bag of fresh orchard grass for Abby this afternoon!! Who does that??? She also went shopping and picked up some apples and carrots. I think she is devoted full-time right now to monitoring and caring for her. She has been going in the middle of the night to flush and treat her. It's really incredible.

We were a bit frightened this morning as the report was Abby was not as perky, not wanting to eat, and not looking so good. Her flush was a bit more yellow and smelly, so the vet was worried. However, after the am flush, they ran a big of IV fluids and her antibiotic was changed this morning, and she is much more bright tonight, eating much better and acting a lot more normal. Her flush even looked better tonight and the vet is cautiously optimistic that maybe, just maybe, we are getting somewhere. I'll keep you posted but thanks everyone so much for advice, help and the well-wishes and prayers. We really appreciate it!

Oh and Abby has a catheter so luckily she is not getting too traumatized by needles since she does not feel them each time. I am thankful for that because I can't blame them when they go through constant poking like that!
    Signature Sporthorses

Sounds like you have a very dedicated vet. Gotta love that! Glad your mare is improving.

Sending more jingles today.

Many jingles coming to you and your mare from CA.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com