The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Liniments that are legal under the USEF rules

I just read in the eventing forum that Sore no More should not be used any closer than 7 days before a USEF event because it contains lavendar. Which are the liniments that don't contain banned substances.

I thought lavendar was only prohibited by the FEI? I use rubbing alcohol or just ice.

I use wintergreen rubbing alcohol mixed with Witch Hazel. Smells great and does a great job. (Also inexpensive!)

This is concerning. Anyone have the facts? I use Sore No-More all the time (before, after and at horse shows)

Lavendar is definitely on the USEF Forbidden Substances list. Whether or not it would test would depend on the amount in the liniment, absorption rate for the particular horse and sensitivity of the test. Capaicin is also on the Forbidden Substances list and shows up in a lot of liniments.

Go to the Usef.org website click on rules and governance, then drugs and meds. Under Drugs and Meds there is the 2007 USEF Drugs and Meds Pamphlet that has the list.

I just pulled the list out of my file, and you are correct. Lavendar is on there, as are chamomile, comfrey, devil's claw, hops, kava kava, and a few other things that I'm guessing are herbs/flowers/natural things though I've never heard of them.

Default Thought it was capsaicin

Both Sore No More and Bigeloil contain it. Also Magic Cush and Black As Night, the coat supplement. Kinda crazy when they are banned. There should be a legal amount allowed as with other medications. Sore No More and Bigeloil are not going to make your horse slower or more relaxed etc etc. The drug rules are getting crazy.

IMO it should be performance enhancing medications that are banned, uppers and downers not something with a legitimate use that in no way effects there mood and is not strong enough to hide lameness.

I use asborine liniment gel or just rubbing alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    Both Sore No More and Bigeloil contain it. Also Magic Cush and Black As Night, the coat supplement. Kinda crazy when they are banned. There should be a legal amount allowed as with other medications. Sore No More and Bigeloil are not going to make your horse slower or more relaxed etc etc. The drug rules are getting crazy.

IMO it should be performance enhancing medications that are banned, uppers and downers not something with a legitimate use that in no way effects there mood and is not strong enough to hide lameness.
    Magic cushion is banned? hmm i deffinatly didnt know that seeing as i normally pack my horses feet with it at shows.. that sucks

Default Banned

Not sure if Magic Cush is banned, but it does contain capsaicin so using it does put you at risk of a positive drug test as Capsacicin is listed under the usef drug rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper6252 View Post
    I use asborine liniment gel or just rubbing alcohol
    This is what I use. I've used Sore No More as well, but haven't heard anything about drug tests concerning Sore No More.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I just pulled the list out of my file, and you are correct. Lavendar is on there, as are chamomile, comfrey, devil's claw, hops, kava kava, and a few other things that I'm guessing are herbs/flowers/natural things though I've never heard of them.
    I thought these were only banned if ingested in an attempt to make your horse quiet. I am going to check usef site to see it is spelled out for topical use.